Lol, Typo

For discussion of Lunar: Eternal Blue, the remake of Lunar 2 for Saturn/Playstation and all its translations
ShadowKnight47
Reza Thief
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

Lol, Typo

Post by ShadowKnight47 »

LOL, I laughed when I saw this,

When ya go to Nall's "Taben's Peak" and ya get a little bit farther into it, I think it's after ya go to the Meribia Sewers...

Lemina will ask you:

"Where you guys did go?"

when it's suppose to be:

"Where did you guys gp?"

hilarious, true comedy, I'm easily entertained when it comes to Comedy

(sorry if someone already spotted this, and made a thread about it)
Lunar is the 2nd greatest game next to FF

phyco126
Dragonmaster

Post by phyco126 »

There are plenty of cute things like that.

My favorite was the Jessica Bromide bug, which really sucked because you couldn't get the bromide, and Kyle's dialog had Jess's avatar and Jess's dialog had Alex's avatar, etc etc etc. That was my favorite.

Another is either a purposeful plot element, or a unintentional glitch, or what. When Ghaleon is in your party and you go to burg and talk to the lady in the up-right corner, she'll look at ghaleon and scream "Magic Emperor Ghaleon!" Then Nall makes a comment about Ghaleon haveing a burger (Not a ham one) hanging from his nose and he'll pick it for him, then Ghaleon replies with the whole "I'll pwn u n3wbz!"

- "Sometimes life smiles when it kicks you down. The trick is to smile back."

Temzin
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Temzin »

OOoops, but then again, you can find far more egregious typos in just about any other US translation of a Japanese RPG at the time, I imagine. The real problem with the US text of the EB remake was where old translated dialogue was used by accident, the instance where White Dragon's Cave treasures Nall speaks of being noexistent except in the Mega CD version being pretty shameful. Oh well.

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

Yeah, that was a last-minute cut/paste when one of the writers didn't have the text for that section of the remake done and the rest of the game was ready to go to press. Confusing, and an embarrassing error, but probably still better than having Japanese text there.

Kizyr
Keeper of Knowledge (probationary)

Post by Kizyr »

Alunissage wrote:Yeah, that was a last-minute cut/paste when one of the writers didn't have the text for that section of the remake done and the rest of the game was ready to go to press. Confusing, and an embarrassing error, but probably still better than having Japanese text there.
I'm gonna have to look for that when I get to replaying the EB remakes. KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

ShadowKnight47
Reza Thief

Post by ShadowKnight47 »

Lol, I didn't notice a lot my 1st time through...I'm having some trouble getting it to work...

I just thought I'd point that out

Zophar
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Zophar »

Reminds me of that error they made during the Epilogue after you open the Star Dragon Tower. There's some dialogue starting off with Hiro saying: "Look Hiro...." I guess that was meant to be Ruby talking... or maybe Hiro is starting to talk to himself. :lol:

ShadowKnight47
Reza Thief

Post by ShadowKnight47 »

I guess ya might as well have all the typos in t6his here thread

I'll post more as I see'em

Kizyr

Post by Kizyr »

Kizyr wrote:
Alunissage wrote:Yeah, that was a last-minute cut/paste when one of the writers didn't have the text for that section of the remake done and the rest of the game was ready to go to press. Confusing, and an embarrassing error, but probably still better than having Japanese text there.
I'm gonna have to look for that when I get to replaying the EB remakes. KF
Two months later and I found it!

English Text:
Nall: "Ha! You got the White Dragon Aura from Leo at last! ... I'm where I need to be! Listen, you need the four ice treasures to open the passage to my lair. Once you have those, you may have to backtrack a bit, but the way will be open. Each one is in a big, white ice chest in the corners of this cave."

Japanese Text:
Nall: "Ha! You did it!! You got the White Dragon Power back from Leo! ... Ha, if you continue towards the back, then you'll find me. Don't worry! Listen up, will you? This place is awfully cold. A lot of places are blocked up by columns of ice. It's really tough to break through even one of them through human power, or the flame of a tiny dragon... But, well, I don't think it'll be a problem, since there are some monsters that live in here. Make use of them, and you'll manage to come through. If you can somehow jeer those weird things, then they'll charge and break them. Maybe that's how you managed to get at that stubborn Leo guy? Ha, then you should be fine. This will be easy for you! Now, take care! Don't make me wait."

I dunno why they couldn't've just winged it if they didn't have anyone to translate it? KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

Benevolent_Ghaleon
BANNED

Post by Benevolent_Ghaleon »

i like it shorter. gives a better feeling of urgency for the situation.

phyco126
Dragonmaster

Post by phyco126 »

The point isn't length, it's the fact that it told you to get something that didn't exist, unless I read the posts wrong.

- "Sometimes life smiles when it kicks you down. The trick is to smile back."

Kizyr

Post by Kizyr »

Benevolent_Ghaleon wrote:i like it shorter. gives a better feeling of urgency for the situation.
Phyco is right. The length has nothing to do with it, it's the actual content.

Not to mention that the English text I quoted is only part of the full text, whereas the Japanese text is the entirety of what Nall said. Also, I'm giving as literal a translation as is possible to capture as much of the meaning of the original text, rather than translating normally. So, the translation there is longer than what the actual text in the game was. Altogether, the text was of about equal length. KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

Benevolent_Ghaleon
BANNED

so the japanese text is better for a more enriching experience with the happenings in lunar or is this kind of a fluke?

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

The English text is the WRONG text, taken from the WRONG game. You can't compare these examples of Japanese and English text because they're apples and oranges: the Japanese text Kizyr translated is from the remake, the English text is from the original.

Oh, Kiz, to answer your question about winging it: they would've had a very rough translation already, but probably didn't look at it closely enough to realize that the part about the mechanics of the cave was substantially different from the SegaCD text. The beginning and end of Nall's speech is about the same -- he starts by commenting on getting the aura from Leo, as you said, and ends by telling them not to make him wait:

HURRY UP AND GET THEM. I'LL
BE WAITING...

AND, I DON'T LIKE WAITING.

Kizyr

Post by Kizyr »

Benevolent_Ghaleon wrote:so the japanese text is better for a more enriching experience with the happenings in lunar or is this kind of a fluke?
Just scroll up and read a few of the earlier posts and it explains things very clearly. This isn't very complicated; I'm not sure why you're not understanding it.
Alun wrote:Oh, Kiz, to answer your question about winging it: they would've had a very rough translation already, but probably didn't look at it closely enough to realize that the part about the mechanics of the cave was substantially different from the SegaCD text.
Fair enough, yeah. The odd thing is that it stands in contrast with how meticulous they usually are about translation. KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

Benevolent_Ghaleon
BANNED

that was more of a request for your opinion. i know a lot of people complain about the topical humor, but aside from that, do you prefer the feel of the japanese ones over the english ones?

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

Kizyr wrote:Fair enough, yeah. The odd thing is that it stands in contrast with how meticulous they usually are about translation. KF
It was very last-minute, along the lines of "oh crap, this whole part hasn't been done."

Kizyr

Post by Kizyr »

Benevolent_Ghaleon wrote:that was more of a request for your opinion. i know a lot of people complain about the topical humor, but aside from that, do you prefer the feel of the japanese ones over the english ones?
Well, the issue here was only a little gaffe they had in the translation. It's funny if anything, but it's a matter of the correct or incorrect dialogue, not about the feel of one over the other.

For that matter, it's pretty equivalent. I don't see any major difference in the 'feeling' of the Japanese over the English versions in the remake. KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

lnrSaxon
Red Dragon Priest

Post by lnrSaxon »

typos are everywhere in Legend. It seemed very rushed.

I laughed so hard when the old lady exclaimed, "Magic Emperor Ghaleon!" hahaha. That one was amazing.

Hiro and Ruby's picture swapped twice, I think, during the game. It's been ages since I've played, however, so I can't remember exactly where. O.o

Werefrog
Dragonmaster

Post by Werefrog »

Since this has been brought back up, I'll pose a question. Has everyone noticed how excited people get to find a typo in a published game? It's almost our equivalent to those people who point out every continuity error in a movie.