I R Noob. Different versions.

For discussion of Lunar: Eternal Blue, the remake of Lunar 2 for Saturn/Playstation and all its translations
PurifyWeirdSoul
Lostest Boy
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

I R Noob. Different versions.

Post by PurifyWeirdSoul »

I'm pretty much a newbie when it comes to the whole Lunar universe. So please bear with my ignorant questions. I've quiried search engines and threads in many different forums, but have yet to find the answers. Please enlighten this wretched being, so that I may have some peace. It's like an itch that can't be scratched.

1a). As far as I know, there are two versions of SSS and EB on the Japanese PSX/Saturn. I'm mainly interest in the Saturn versions as I hear the sound/music quality is superior. Anyways, what is the difference between SSS and SSSC, EB and EBC for the Sega Saturn?

1b). I have the Saturn Lunar: SSS vanilla, and as far as I know, it is the remake, so are the 'Complete' japanese versions an 'international' version akin to FFX: International where the English dialogue is included? Or does it mean there's additional anime footage compared to the barebones version?

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

That's kind of a complicated question. Let's see...

Here's the approximate chronology and features of the remakes.

1. Silver Star Story on Saturn, the one you have. This game had ten in-game bromides to find and grainy animated scenes.

2. Saturn MPEG version. In addition to having higher-quality movies (and thereby requiring a hardware add-on to play), three bromides were added, and trading cards were included with the game. This version had "Complete" added on to the title.

3. PlayStation version (Japanese). This was a direct port of the MPEG version, with all thirteen bromides. However, it did *not* have the word "complete" in the title. No pack-ins that I've heard of.

4. PC version (Japanese). Port of the PlayStation version, I think. I'm not positive of the chronology here.

5. US PlayStation release ("Collector's Edition"). Direct localization of the Japanese PlayStation release, but taking its title from the Saturn MPEG release. Came with a soundtrack, documentary disc (with unlockable minigame), and cloth map -- of the SegaCD version world. Four different sets of disc art were produced.

6. PC version (Korean), both a regular and a LE. Same as the Japanese PC version (probably, haven't actually checked) but has the songs from the US version, and the LE includes the WD-produced soundtrack. I forget whether the other voices were dubbed or if they were left in Japanese.

7. PlayStation The Best re-release of SSS in Japan. Identical to the first except for the The Best logo and such. I don't know exactly when this was released, so its placement in this chronology may be wrong.

8. US Fan Art Edition. No pack-ins, standard jewel case with paperback manual (without strategy guide excerpt), but game is unchanged -- unfortunately, since Ramus still gives you the code to unlock the minigame on the documentary disc which doesn't come with this edition. This was released in part to make up for the US PC version being canned due to the problems with bugs and compatibility issues.

EB had far fewer releases:

1. Sega Saturn release. Came with a nice big map and about seven trading cards (none of which were bromides). Only had two optional epilogue dungeons, the same ones as in the SegaCD game.

2. PlayStation release (Japan). Added two more optional dungeons, and possibly a few bromides; I have not been able to confirm this. No pack-ins, as I recall.

3. PlayStation the Best release (Japan). Same as first PS release except a big ugly XXXX Yen on the disc in addition to the Best logo. :P

4. US PlayStation release. Came with assorted pack-ins, including a much smaller and less useful map. Two sets of disc art. A third was planned but never made.

PurifyWeirdSoul
Lostest Boy

Post by PurifyWeirdSoul »

Wow! Thanks Alunissage, for the mountain of information! I really appreciate it. Again, thank you for taking your time out to help a stranger out. I didn't realize there were so many different releases of the first game. :shock: You've helped me take one step closer to becoming a Lunar junkie. :twisted:

Shiva Indis
White Dragon Knight

Post by Shiva Indis »

There are more bromides in the non-Saturn releases of Lunar 2. The original had... 12, I think. The Playstation version added another 5, excluding Bromide X.
「まあいいけど。」

GhaleonOne
Ghost From The Past

Post by GhaleonOne »

Wow! Thanks Alunissage, for the mountain of information! I really appreciate it. Again, thank you for taking your time out to help a stranger out. I didn't realize there were so many different releases of the first game. Shocked You've helped me take one step closer to becoming a Lunar junkie. Twisted Evil

In addition, she was only listing the different versions of the remakes. Keep in mind the original game, The Silver Star, was published on the Mega CD (and localized on the Sega CD here).
-G1

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

Yeah, I skipped Legend too, since the question was only about the Saturn/PSX games.

Thanks for confirming the bromides. My vague recollection is that there were 22 in EBC: four each of Lucia, Lemina, and Jean, two of Mauri, one each of Hiro, Ghaleon, Nall, Borgan, Mystere, Luna, Mia, and Jessica. And now I remember clearly that this is stated in the guide, that six of them were added for the PlayStation. Argh. I was doing so well. The six that were added were the fourth ones of Lucia, Jean, and Lemina, Hiro's, Mauri's second, and...? *grumble* I was thinking Mystere's, but now I'm not so sure, since Mauri's second is making fun of that one.

One little thing that really annoyed me in EBC was that Luna's bromide was captioned "Dreamy Weaver" when she's clearly quilting.

Shiva Indis
White Dragon Knight

Post by Shiva Indis »

You're right on, and the 6th one you're missing is Ghaleon. :D

I kept coming up short, but I've straightened myself out now. 16 in the Saturn version, plus another 6 for Playstation.

Also, I've been adding some version-related stuff to the Lunar Wikipedia articles that might assist in n00b education. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lunar_series
「まあいいけど。」

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

Awesome, I'll have to check it out.

A pet project I still haven't managed to get going is an encyclopedia on LNet, so I'm avoiding doing much on Wikipedia (though I don't think the degree of detail would be similar between the two). I wonder if any of my stuff is still there from when I corrected/neutralized a bunch of rather lame articles quite some time ago. It looks a lot more organized now. ^^

Oh, and I made an error in my list of versions. Three of the trading cards that came with the Saturn EB are bromides, as I should have known seeing as I made the scans of them that are posted on the site. >_<