Lemina's Thief's Staff

For discussion of Lunar: Eternal Blue, the remake of Lunar 2 for Saturn/Playstation and all its translations
ilovemyguitar
Legendary Hero
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

Lemina's Thief's Staff

Post by ilovemyguitar »

Just wondering, has anybody found a significant use for this item? Are there rare items that can be stolen from any enemies?

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

I'm pretty sure I was stealing Chiro Crests with it at one point. I would guess that it steals what the monster would drop anyway, just at a higher percentage, but that's purely a guess.

Racoati
Lyton Singer

Post by Racoati »

Plus, Chiro Mongrels are pretty much impossible to kill at that point, at least by my estimation. (Are they killable, as they were in EB? Later in the game, perhaps?) I've never got dropped Shiro Crests from the Shiro Mongrels, either, I've only been able to steal them. So it's good for that.

...is it me or is Lemina just so completely broken in EBC compared to EB? In EB she tends to suffer from a minor touch of Gainsborough Syndrome - that malicious affliction that curses female magic-users with the ability to do at most 1 HP physical damage against most enemies - and I was shocked when playing EBC for the first time to see her pull out range-ignoring, high-damage magic attacks for her physical! That, and she can be made the thief (at the cost of her physical attack)... I like Lemina an awful lot, so I was genuinely rather pleased at how they'd boosted her up, especially since it goes against the grain of most RPGs to do so.
<a href="http://catofthe.sunlesslands.net/eternal">Eternalism</a> :: ostracised by the Lunar fandom since 2005, so you don't have to be ~ oddpairing chaos galore!

Sonic#
Pao Tribe Chieftain

Post by Sonic# »

Racoati wrote:Plus, Chiro Mongrels are pretty much impossible to kill at that point, at least by my estimation. (Are they killable, as they were in EB? Later in the game, perhaps?) I've never got dropped Shiro Crests from the Shiro Mongrels, either, I've only been able to steal them. So it's good for that.

Oh, I've only killed a Chiro Mongrel in the epilogue. You might be able to before that, but certainly not at the time of the game when you first get there.
Sonic#

"Than seyde Merlion, "Whethir lyke ye bettir the swerde othir the scawberde?" "I lyke bettir the swerde," seyde Arthure. "Ye ar the more unwyse, for the scawberde ys worth ten of the swerde; for whyles ye have the scawberde uppon you, ye shall lose no blood, be ye never so sore wounded. Therefore kepe well the scawberde allweyes with you." --- Le Morte Darthur, Sir Thomas Malory

"Just as you touch the energy of every life form you meet, so, too, will will their energy strengthen you. Fail to live up to your potential, and you will never win. " --- The Old Man at the End of Time

Angelalex242
Legendary Hero

Post by Angelalex242 »

You can kill Chiros before the epilogue. I've done it.

Then again, I'm the same idiot who leveled Lucia to lvl 99 just to check her stats, so of course /I've/ done it.
Don't blame me, Lucia promised me lots of snuggles and cuddles if I would be her PR guy.

ilovemyguitar
Legendary Hero

Post by ilovemyguitar »

Racoati wrote:...is it me or is Lemina just so completely broken in EBC compared to EB? In EB she tends to suffer from a minor touch of Gainsborough Syndrome - that malicious affliction that curses female magic-users with the ability to do at most 1 HP physical damage against most enemies - and I was shocked when playing EBC for the first time to see her pull out range-ignoring, high-damage magic attacks for her physical! That, and she can be made the thief (at the cost of her physical attack)... I like Lemina an awful lot, so I was genuinely rather pleased at how they'd boosted her up, especially since it goes against the grain of most RPGs to do so.

Lemina could do that in EB, too, if you had her select a staff to use as an item in battle. Mia and Nash could do that in TSS/SSSC as well.

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

Yes, but he means as opposed to walking up and whacking the monster with the cane -- this is her attack he's talking about, not item use. In EB she mainly used bows, which were definitely physical attacks, or knives, which again meant she had to get to the enemy. Anyone could use the canes as items (unlike TSS, where only Mia could use the Recovery Cane and Goddess Cane).

Racoati
Lyton Singer

Post by Racoati »

You can kill Chiros before the epilogue. I've done it.

Then again, I'm the same idiot who leveled Lucia to lvl 99 just to check her stats, so of course /I've/ done it.

Ah, sounds like me during the days of FF6. ;) Spent Althena-only-knows how many hours levelling everyone to 99, getting all their spells from the Espers, etc.... and because I was playing on a cart running through an adaptor (because I live in the UK, and FF6 was never released there), it eventually glitched, as such things are wont to do, and I lost all my saves. I do believe I wept. XP

And, I'd hardly say you're an idiot, merely a devotee. Seems you and I both have the same appreciation of the finer, gentler things in life, ne, Alex? :D

I was referring to being at roundabout a normal level, though; which I'm guessing you weren't. ;) So I guess it's wait till the epilogue time for me. I'm such a lightweight. XP

And Alunissage, yep, I did mean using the staff as her standard weapon, not using it as an item. It just stunned me how powerful her normal attack is - it drops in usefulness slightly later on, but at the beginning, it's so broken I was in awe. Long live Lemina!
<a href="http://catofthe.sunlesslands.net/eternal">Eternalism</a> :: ostracised by the Lunar fandom since 2005, so you don't have to be ~ oddpairing chaos galore!