Saturn vs. PlayStation

For discussion of Lunar: Eternal Blue, the remake of Lunar 2 for Saturn/Playstation and all its translations
Quantam
Meribian Merchant

Saturn vs. PlayStation

Postby Quantam » Thu Jun 18, 2020 9:39 pm

How large are the differences between the Saturn and PlayStation versions of EBC? I ask because I heard that for SSS the PlayStation version was called SSSC because it included material that wasn't in the Saturn version. Is this also true for EBC, or are they more on parity? Which of the two is considered the better version?

Alunissage
Goddess

Re: Saturn vs. PlayStation

Postby Alunissage » Mon Jun 22, 2020 7:50 am

"Better" depends on what your criteria are, of course. The Saturn game has much better sound quality, poorer video. The PlayStation game, as with SSS/SSSC, has more bromides and several additional optional dungeons in the epilogue. And, of course, only the PlayStation game was released in English.

wittischism
NPC

Postby wittischism » Sun Nov 08, 2020 1:23 pm

Overworld and 2d backgrounds are more vibrant in the Saturn version. I played both side by side years ago. One thing I remember was either the lava or waves in dungeon environments was more animated in the Saturn version.

The main thing I remember that is better in the PlayStation version is the cut scene video quality.

Kizyr
Keeper of Knowledge (probationary)

Postby Kizyr » Thu Nov 12, 2020 2:27 am

I'm not sure how true this is, but one often-cited thing about the Saturn is that it was designed for 2D graphics and arcade ports of existing Sega properties, while Playstation was designed more for 3D. That's often given as a reason why Saturn didn't make it when games started going much more 3D and things like sprite rendering were less important. That would explain some of the better look of the Saturn version since, well, Lunar is still a 2D game.

I'm honestly not sure how much of this is really accurate, and how much is just analysis after-the-fact looking for justifications. There was a lot during those console war eras that got tossed around as factoids that weren't really accurate (or more commonly just didn't matter).

That's not to say the Saturn version didn't look better, or sound better (I think it certainly did), but that it often got chalked up to the relative strengths/weaknesses of each console, and that's the part I'm not so sure about anymore.
~Kizyr

Alunissage
Goddess

Postby Alunissage » Thu Nov 19, 2020 10:57 pm

That's what I've heard as well... that the Saturn was designed to do 2D stuff and then late in development someone decided it had to do 3D because that was the wave of the future, and really pushed for 3D games on it.

I feel like the White Dragon Cave may have been more animated in the background in some version I recently played, which I think must've been the Saturn one. Will have to check.

Imperial Knight
Black Dragon Wizard

Postby Imperial Knight » Wed Nov 25, 2020 4:27 am

I'm no hardware expert, but that's basically my understanding. The Saturn had very impressive 2D capabilities, with a processor dedicated to the background layers and another dedicated to "foreground" (e.g. sprites). The extent to which the 3D graphics were or weren't an emphasis I'm not entirely clear on, but I know a common criticism of 3D graphics on Saturn was its use of quadrilaterals rather than triangles.

Return to “Lunar: Eternal Blue (Complete)”