Who's the prettiest of all Althenas?

For discussion of Lunar: Silver Star Story, the remake of Lunar 1 for Saturn/Playstation/PC and all its translations
snaztacular
Lostest Boy
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

Post by snaztacular »

I had a roommate in high school (I didn't board, he lived with my family) who, at the age of 18, was forbidden to watch any movie with bare female breasts (or worse!). I jokingly asked him once if it was OK for him to see some violent movie, and he told me, totally seriously, the following: "Yeah, any amount of blowing people up is fine. There's no nudity though, right?" A part of my soul died...

phyco126
Dragonmaster

Post by phyco126 »

That's okay. I know a girl who is twenty and isn't allowed to do crap with out her parents permission :roll: That right there, made a part of me die.

- "Sometimes life smiles when it kicks you down. The trick is to smile back."

Anordin
Pao Hunter

Post by Anordin »

Hmm. This has been quite an interesting discussion, Alunissage. I can't really find anything to say for counter-argument. So I won't.

I never did understand why Lucia got back in that crystal either. That stuck me as odd for some reason; as if there was no change in Lucia's character at all.

I also hoped no one was offended by my 'myth' comment. I wasn't trying to belittle the religious story, but tried to refer to it without degrading it in any fashion. I actually do believe that myths are very important, and as stories are very potent devices to help 'interpret' reality. Afterall isn't what Science tells us 'myths' as well? Well obviously not the techincal stuff, but the abstract stories are clearly myths.

But the only reason I referenced Eden was that the change was only a mental one and not a physical one. For me that signifies something 'wrong.' And it's not exactly healthy to have a mental idea change a person's perception of the physical.

As for violence versus nudity: that's just a bit screwy isn't it? If I were a father, I suppose I'd want my children to consider their bodies as something healthy, but violence wrong in a majority of scenarios. But thankfully I'm not a father yet, and hopefully won't be one for a very long time.
Heaven does not speak. It simply showed its will by his personal conduct and his conduct of affairs.
-Mencius, Bk V, Chap V, Legge Translation

phyco126
Dragonmaster

Post by phyco126 »

I want to be a father ;-;. Plenty of time for that I suppose.

Anyway, my biggest question is why didn't she just give herself clothes when she and Hiro went outside? O_o

Back to violence vs. sex, I dunno. Although it strikes me odd that our society is like this, I would imagine that I will not realize that I will do the same thing to my kids. Sad, but true really. I blame brainwashing.

Angelalex242
Legendary Hero

Post by Angelalex242 »

Old habits are hard to break. And sleeping in the Crystal is a several millenia long learned habit. And trying to change the mind of a god can take...considerable time. In some cases, it can't happen at all, no matter what mortals try to do about it. (qv Zophar...)

At any rate, Lucia was TRYING to fulfill the greater good of restoring the Blue Star. Hiro, being merely human, was a good deal more concerned about his OWN good, and went there to do something about it.

Fortunately for Lucia, though, it looked like he was gonna stay on the Blue Star if that's what it took, so they can both do what they set out to do.
Don't blame me, Lucia promised me lots of snuggles and cuddles if I would be her PR guy.

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

Agreed. Also, the return to the crystal without any visible difference from the beginning (that I recall; someone tell me if I'm wrong) is intended as a sharp contrast to the teary farewell when she departs Lunar. To the outsider, she looks unchanged, but we -- and Hiro -- know that the change is all internal.

She only exists for two purposes at that point...to oppose Zophar and to facilitate the Blue Star's revival. The first was fulfilled, with help, but it doesn't negate the second, which is still a call stronger than her newfound emotions. Unlike Althena, she has no assurance that this would happen even if she left her post (as opposed to Althena believing that humans could govern themselves without her).

Angelalex242
Legendary Hero

Post by Angelalex242 »

One visible change.

The lack of pendant. She's otherwise identical. Hiro has that, so she's not wearing it when she sleeps the second time. Sorta like 'she left her heart in San Fransisco.'

Also, Althena gave humanity a ready made world in balance to take care of. The Blue Star is still a nuclear winter, and unfit for human habitation. Humanity could manage, but they'd have to do so with futuristic technology more suiting a Star Ocean game then a Lunar game. Lunar humans don't have that, so the only obvious means of revival is god power.
Don't blame me, Lucia promised me lots of snuggles and cuddles if I would be her PR guy.

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

Right, of course. She didn't have it in EB until arriving on Lunar, but I should have remembered that she does in EBC, since there's that funny continuity break with her not having it out in the snowstorm. :P

Shiva Indis
White Dragon Knight

Post by Shiva Indis »

Alunissage wrote:She didn't have it in EB until arriving on Lunar, but I should have remembered that she does in EBC, since there's that funny continuity break with her not having it out in the snowstorm.

I hope that was the animation studio's (Gonzo's) fault, and not due to Kubooka and the rest of the storyboard staff... Hard to say, but I'm pretty sure that if I could ask Funato (she was a storyboarder on the EB remake, after all) about it, she would blame Gonzo. :)

Angelalex242 wrote:Old habits are hard to break. And sleeping in the Crystal is a several millenia long learned habit. And trying to change the mind of a god can take...considerable time. In some cases, it can't happen at all, no matter what mortals try to do about it. (qv Zophar...)

In light of Lunar DS, look at how long it took Althena to make her decision...
「まあいいけど。」

Althena's_Courtier
Student of Vane

Post by Althena's_Courtier »

Angelalex242 wrote:Old habits are hard to break. And sleeping in the Crystal is a several millenia long learned habit. And trying to change the mind of a god can take...considerable time. In some cases, it can't happen at all, no matter what mortals try to do about it. (qv Zophar...)

At any rate, Lucia was TRYING to fulfill the greater good of restoring the Blue Star. Hiro, being merely human, was a good deal more concerned about his OWN good, and went there to do something about it.

Fortunately for Lucia, though, it looked like he was gonna stay on the Blue Star if that's what it took, so they can both do what they set out to do.

And I hope im not the only one getting bad mental images about that statement.

dragonmaster_jonathan
Reza Thief

Post by dragonmaster_jonathan »

theyre all a little freaky lookin, but i would have to say Luna :wink:

Dragonmaster Dyne
Red Dragon Priest

Post by Dragonmaster Dyne »

Out of the Althena forms I'd say Luna. I beleive there are others that are better in the game. For instance JESSICA and MIA don't forget them.

Benevolent_Ghaleon
BANNED

Post by Benevolent_Ghaleon »

Angelalex242 wrote:Well, none of 'em are my FIRST choice...(obviously)...

Then again, my sig might give a hint as to which outfit I prefer Althena in ;)

None of you cared to correct her on this?

Lucia is not Althena reincarnated, she is Althena's "right hand". From what i saw, Luna gave up being Althena and Lucia is greatly old and has been on the Blue Star for a very long time.

phyco126
Dragonmaster

Post by phyco126 »

Correct HIM on this, and there is no need to correct him on it either. He was merely stating that Luna in Dark Althena clothes was hot, so Althena would likely look hot in that too. I know he didn't mean that Lucia was Althena, merely that he thinks that outfit is hot (and come on, Dark Althena is still Althena, and hey, she was hot in that outfit :P)

Benevolent_Ghaleon
BANNED

They need to start selling those. Hot!

Dragonmaster Dyne
Red Dragon Priest

Well someone has a feddish of sorts.

Benevolent_Ghaleon
BANNED

Dragonmaster Dyne wrote:Well someone has a feddish of sorts.

A Lunar fetish or a "hot clothes" fetish?

Catgirls work quite well also. I say someone should get into photoshop and put the ears and tails on all the Lunar girls.

Dragonmaster Dyne
Red Dragon Priest

Looks like possibly both. Not saying theres anything wrong with that.

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

His thing is for Lucia specifically.

GhaleonOne
Ghost From The Past

Post by GhaleonOne »

Speaking of which, Angelalex hasn't been around in some time. Anyone know where he went?
-G1