Fastest Game Time

For discussion of Lunar: Silver Star Story, the remake of Lunar 1 for Saturn/Playstation/PC and all its translations
ShugoHanasaki
Black Dragon Wizard
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

Fastest Game Time

Post by ShugoHanasaki »

What is the fastest time saved on your memory card that you've beaten both Lunar 1 & 2?

Lunar 1 - With all bromides and red chests and level 46 -13H 39M (My recent; not my shortest)

In the past I've been at level 43
Lotus Moon Productions
- Podcasts on Independent Music Artists & Wrestling -

https://soundcloud.com/lotusmoonproductions

Sonic#
Pao Tribe Chieftain

Re: Fastest Game Time

Post by Sonic# »

I think talking to every NPC multiple times makes my fastest game time rather slow. :)

I'd have to dig out memory cards to see. If you mean SSSC, I'm sure I'm not under 16 hours.
Sonic#

"Than seyde Merlion, "Whethir lyke ye bettir the swerde othir the scawberde?" "I lyke bettir the swerde," seyde Arthure. "Ye ar the more unwyse, for the scawberde ys worth ten of the swerde; for whyles ye have the scawberde uppon you, ye shall lose no blood, be ye never so sore wounded. Therefore kepe well the scawberde allweyes with you." --- Le Morte Darthur, Sir Thomas Malory

"Just as you touch the energy of every life form you meet, so, too, will will their energy strengthen you. Fail to live up to your potential, and you will never win. " --- The Old Man at the End of Time

Imperial Knight
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Imperial Knight »

Sonic# wrote:I think talking to every NPC multiple times makes my fastest game time rather slow. :)

I'd have to dig out memory cards to see. If you mean SSSC, I'm sure I'm not under 16 hours.
This would get me as well. I even liked to go back to places I'd already been after major events to see if the NPCs said something new (they often did). It's been so long I have no idea what my playtimes looked like, but I think I still have some saves.

Kizyr
Keeper of Knowledge (probationary)

Post by Kizyr »

Y'know I've played through the games so many times, but have yet to try anything like a speed run...

I mean I've talked to every NPC so many times that I'm not actually missing anything any more. Maybe I should try one of these days, see how fast I can get through it all. I'm not too hot on low-level runs though is the only thing that would set me back -- skipping through dialogue is easy (just know who to talk to to trigger which events, and do nothing more), but it's the tactics involved in avoiding as many battles as possible, while still being able to beat the bosses, that'd be the challenge. KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

Sonic#
Pao Tribe Chieftain

Post by Sonic# »

My saves seem to be clustered around 24 hours. That matches with my memory.
Sonic#

"Than seyde Merlion, "Whethir lyke ye bettir the swerde othir the scawberde?" "I lyke bettir the swerde," seyde Arthure. "Ye ar the more unwyse, for the scawberde ys worth ten of the swerde; for whyles ye have the scawberde uppon you, ye shall lose no blood, be ye never so sore wounded. Therefore kepe well the scawberde allweyes with you." --- Le Morte Darthur, Sir Thomas Malory

"Just as you touch the energy of every life form you meet, so, too, will will their energy strengthen you. Fail to live up to your potential, and you will never win. " --- The Old Man at the End of Time

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

I'm not sure it's possible for me to complete a game in under 50 hours or so. If I'm not reading every line of text I can, what's the point? ^_^

ShugoHanasaki
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by ShugoHanasaki »

Lunar is really easy to beat in under 20 hours even when reading the dialogue. It's really not a long game sadly. Getting to Meriba takes 2 hours.

You should try it some time ^^
Lotus Moon Productions

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

You, um, don't know my Lunar playing style. I take notes. Hundreds of pages of notes. I record stats in spreadsheets. I compare Japanese strategy guides to what I'm seeing. And so on. This is why it takes me years. My attention span only handles about three months of this at a time. ^_^

ShugoHanasaki
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by ShugoHanasaki »

lol, fair enough! XD With all your notes, though from the past couldn't you try a speed run if you wanted or do you lose all your notes from the past? That's genius and amazing that you record everything.
Lotus Moon Productions

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

I could definitely do a speedrun if I wanted, but generally I don't want. Someday when I'm finished with my stat recording and stuff I'll be able to play through the games faster...maybe. When replaying EBC a few years ago, I got a bit bogged down in trying to figure out how much EXP characters not in the party gain. Still plan to get back to that one.

ShugoHanasaki
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by ShugoHanasaki »

I will say, however, stat recording is fun, but it's already out there on the internet and in guides
Lotus Moon Productions

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

I started before it was out there, for the most part. For one set of someone else's stats for SSSC I found errors, though not many. I admit I haven't looked recently, because it's part of the interest of the game for me to see it as it happens. That's how I realized that someone must've hand-computed the TSS EXP amounts and made an error, because there's a clear pattern individual to each character of how much EXP is needed for the next level and Nash's gets off for about six levels and then back on. That probably would've been harder to spot if I were just looking at a sea of numbers. The amount of EXP Tempest needs for the next level oscillates wildly also in the higher levels. He ends up needing more EXP total than anyone else in the game to get to level 99, by far.

Someone did extract the TSS character stats from the game itself and I need to dig into those and check my own records against them. At some point in the playthrough where I decided to level everyone up to 99 and record, I gave Mia one or more permanent stat-increasing items (I didn't decide to start recording them until partway through the game). Also, I was playing on a console for that, but I later started a game on emulator and took screenshots of stats at level up and found a discrepancy after I reloaded and reached that level again. I would love to know how that happened. One of the things I do with this data is try to derive formulae for calculating each stat increase, but I generally assume that that's done ahead of time and hard-coded in.

AkagisWhiteComet
Red Dragon Priest

Post by AkagisWhiteComet »

My very first play through of TSSC was right around 32 hours. I believe having played both TSS and EB on the Sega CD games prior I kind of knew what to expect. My quickest play through last time I pulled the memory cards out was 19 hours but it's be YEARS since I've played through TSSC so I dunno if I could be quicker.

My quickest play through out of the bat was the most recent release on the PSP. I was kind of shocked how quickly I breezed through that game. Second was the GBA Lunar Legend release. My longest was without a doubt TSS on the Sega CD. I had to grind on quite a few spots and there is a point where you have to purchase a very specific item to advance. I missed the dialogue, ended up spending hours just traveling everywhere, until eventually I decided to go crazy and buy one item from every shop I could access. It was then I realized that one of the items was a quest item.

Lets not talk about Eternal Blue. I cried quite a bit when I got to Borgan on the Sega CD version. The remake was a breeze though all considering.

Kizyr
Keeper of Knowledge (probationary)

Post by Kizyr »

I feel like Lunar: Legend and Silver Star Harmony would be the easiest to do a speedrun of, mostly because of how the difficulty was almost laughably easy for both. (In LL, it was an actual challenge trying to die. And in SSH, during one of battles against Ghaleon where you're supposed to lose, I was sitting there playing that same battle for like thirty minutes because the difficulty on it was so low it didn't seem like an unwinnable fight by a long-shot... and then I had to try to lose like with LL.)

But Eternal Blue would be the biggest challenge. That had the hardest (and to me, most enjoyable) difficulty out of all of the Lunar games. Though the remake gets a few bonus points because of some of the fun things you can do with combining different extra equipment/accessories. KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

I once tried SegaCD Borgan at level 26. I was not successful.

(Found someone else's save at the bottom of the Neo-Vane mines. I have no idea how the player got that far. This was on the CDX, too, not emulator.)