Lunar Playthrough Part 3: Meribia to Vane

For discussion of Lunar: Silver Star Story, the remake of Lunar 1 for Saturn/Playstation/PC and all its translations
Sonic#
Pao Tribe Chieftain
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

Lunar Playthrough Part 3: Meribia to Vane

Post by Sonic# »

So I plowed through another chunk of the game today, going from fighting Mel and going through the Sewers to completing the Cave of Trials. A few notes:

I died twice in this section, once by a monster in the sewers (the Ammonia) Image and once by the Trouble Truffler, when both Alex and Luna ran out of MP. My memory of the sewers was that they were difficult, but what I appreciate now is the management of MP leading up to that point. I used two Star Lights on Alex, getting in a total of ten sword dances before the Water Dragon fell. (Alex was at level 11.) Similarly, while I couldn't use Star Lights in the Cave of Trials because items are forbidden, I kept the stat boosting to Luna the second time and preserved enough MP to take down the Trouble Truffler in 9 turns (Alex was at level 14).

One thing I'd forgotten was how eager both Phacia and Nash were to have Alex join the Magic Guild and not pursue being a Dragonmaster. Phacia's motives are obvious, but as for Nash, I find myself wondering  if, even here, he's kind of a turncoat.

One other note - I know that Alun has at points observed the change in the depiction of religion in this game towards a more conventional, Western, perhaps Christian rite. When I saw the light (presumably from stained glass) in this picture, I decided to see if I could find a reference image.

An image search yields nothing, even when I isolated the image like so.

However, looking at some examples of stained glass, I soon found the figure in the south rose window of Chartres Cathedral. Here's the link to the entire window, and below is the relevant detail.

Who is that? One of the 24 elders of the apocalypse. It's entirely possible that the image was gotten from another window with a similar image, and there's probably not much more thought put into it, but it's really curious to see such a figure depicted there. Is that depicting anyone in particular in the Lunar world? Am I overthinking this?
Sonic#

"Than seyde Merlion, "Whethir lyke ye bettir the swerde othir the scawberde?" "I lyke bettir the swerde," seyde Arthure. "Ye ar the more unwyse, for the scawberde ys worth ten of the swerde; for whyles ye have the scawberde uppon you, ye shall lose no blood, be ye never so sore wounded. Therefore kepe well the scawberde allweyes with you." --- Le Morte Darthur, Sir Thomas Malory

"Just as you touch the energy of every life form you meet, so, too, will will their energy strengthen you. Fail to live up to your potential, and you will never win. " --- The Old Man at the End of Time

Alunissage
Goddess

Re: Lunar Playthrough Part 3: Meribia to Vane

Post by Alunissage »

Wow. I had just been thinking about the stained glass image myself (I played up to just before going into the Magic Guild for the first time, so about where you are) and squinted at it, but hadn't thought to try isolating it, let alone research it. Nice work! I think there's no question that the picture was taking from the window; it's definitely not ringing any Lunarian bells for me.

Although, I think this guy in the window is a more likely candidate for model:
South_rose_window_of_Chartres_Cathedral01_elder.jpg
South_rose_window_of_Chartres_Cathedral01_elder.jpg (24.12 KiB) Viewed 19191 times
More commentary on the gameplay segment to come later, when my notes are handy.

Arlia
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Arlia »

Wow, I never even thought to look twice at the stained glass reflection on the floor. o_o

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

Regarding Nash's motives for getting Alex into the Guild, he tells one NPC in Meribia that he gets a break on his tuition for each student he recruits. I suspect that's a bit of a throwaway line for humor, though, as otherwise he'd be working on Luna as well as Alex. After all, she's already known to be a singer who can work magic with her songs (which is apparently so unusual that one of the priests doesn't actually believe it). More seriously, he was obviously reporting to Royce, and it's after their conference that he begins the hard sell of getting Alex to Vane, so it seems likely to me that Royce told him to do so -- possibly while letting Nash think it's his own idea. Royce, of course, has plenty of reason to get him there; not only should a potential Dragonmaster be brought to Ghaleon's attention and evaluated, Luna would obviously go along and she is their real target. But I think Nash is entirely innocent at this point. He's just doing a field project for his mentor Ghaleon, who undoubtedly has good reason for sending his apprentice hither and yon... after all, he's the most powerful magician in the world, etc., etc.

Sonic#
Pao Tribe Chieftain

Post by Sonic# »

The colors on the window you found are closer, and that window also preserves a couple of features that would have been discrepancies with the other one. I guess I got excited with seeing even one image that was close.

I missed the line in Meribia (I'm assuming in Black Rose Street after he rejoins the party?), but otherwise your analysis sounds right. Nash is definitely in on something, but there are a lot of ways for him to think that it's in the best interests of the guild or his mentor. I haven't noticed him spending undue attention on Luna, for instance.
Sonic#

"Than seyde Merlion, "Whethir lyke ye bettir the swerde othir the scawberde?" "I lyke bettir the swerde," seyde Arthure. "Ye ar the more unwyse, for the scawberde ys worth ten of the swerde; for whyles ye have the scawberde uppon you, ye shall lose no blood, be ye never so sore wounded. Therefore kepe well the scawberde allweyes with you." --- Le Morte Darthur, Sir Thomas Malory

"Just as you touch the energy of every life form you meet, so, too, will will their energy strengthen you. Fail to live up to your potential, and you will never win. " --- The Old Man at the End of Time

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

The line in Meribia:
Blue-haired woman near dock: I heard you’re off to study magic in Vane. Good for you!
Nash [cheerful]: I’m not surprised you heard. I plug the Magic Guild whenever I can…I’m proud of it! I also get a discount on my schooling fees for every student I recruit…
Nall [annoyed]: Well, that’s sleazy…but why am I not surprised?

Damon
Lann Fisherman

Post by Damon »

Sonic# wrote:However, looking at some examples of stained glass, I soon found the figure in the south rose window of Chartres Cathedral.
[...]
Who is that? One of the 24 elders of the apocalypse. It's entirely possible that the image was gotten from another window with a similar image, and there's probably not much more thought put into it, but it's really curious to see such a figure depicted there. Is that depicting anyone in particular in the Lunar world? Am I overthinking this?
Sonic# and Alunissage... I must say, that was some outstanding research.
Former Keeper of Knowledge

Leo
BANNED

Post by Leo »

Sonic# wrote:One other note - I know that Alun has at points observed the change in the depiction of religion in this game towards a more conventional, Western, perhaps Christian rite. When I saw the light (presumably from stained glass) in this picture, I decided to see if I could find a reference image.
:lol: