A Question About Laike's Existence

For discussion of Lunar: Silver Star Story, the remake of Lunar 1 for Saturn/Playstation/PC and all its translations
YoungDyne
Black Dragon Wizard
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

A Question About Laike's Existence

Post by YoungDyne »

To anyone who might not know about Laike, I suggest not reading this. I can't find the "spoiler" button ;_;

[spoiler]This is really only something that's been bugging me. So, why did Dain assume the role of Laike and never clue Ghaleon in on the fact that he was still alive? You'd think if you were good friends with someone (not to mention someone you saved the world with as one of the four heroes) you might let that person know. I mean, I realize if Dain had come to Ghaleon none of the events that lead to Ghaleon's little plot would never have happened, and the reason for saving the world would not exist therefore TSS would have no villain. Dain's death was the thing that really set off the Magic Emperor wasn't it? But if it's for the sake of a the story, and for a story that makes more sense...why didn't Dain simply die?[/spoiler]

Erroneous
Legendary Hero

Post by Erroneous »

Spoiler is still there, just not added back to the posting page. The BBCode for spoiler is still [spoiler]

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

I wouldn't bother with spoiler tags for this game in its own forum; people who read the thread should expect spoilers. It's a pain here particularly because I can't see what I'm replying to unless I mouse over it. >_< I hate these spoiler tags.

It's a matter of debate whether Ghaleon knew Dyne had survived in TSS. However, it's completely unambiguous in SSSC, in which forum you posted: he was there when Dyne gave up dragonmasterhood. He definitley knew that Dyne was alive, and their parting was on philosophical principles (whether or not it was appropriate for both goddess and dragonmaster to retire from those roles and let humans rule themselves) rather than supposed death.

In TSS, what set Ghaleon off was that Althena had asked his friend to do something at great personal cost when Ghaleon felt that she should have been able to handle it herself. It's clear that he does know who Laike is in one scene, when Laike tells him he's sticking with Alex. Whether he learned this before or after setting his plans in motion is a topic for occasional disagreement. However, Ghaleon's bitterness is at Althena for giving Dyne the task, which is not dependent on Dyne's survival.

YoungDyne
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by YoungDyne »

Ohhh, I think I get it. I knew Ghaleon held a grudge against Althena in some way, that was a pretty big point in the story. But what about Dyne's headstone in Burg in SSSC? Or was that a tribute to Dain as a dragonmaster? Anyway, thanks for clearing that up...I really need to get a sega cd so I can replay my copy of TSS.

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

It's a monument, not a grave. I think it's called a grave in Legend, and I don't know what the Japanese versions call it, but in TSS it's pretty clear. Besides which, everyone thinks Dyne went to the frontier and never returned, so there wouldn't have been any body to bury.

phyco126
Dragonmaster

Post by phyco126 »

SSSC wise, I thought that Ghaleon was mad because he felt that Althena shouldn't do what she did, and that Dyne had helped her do it? The fact that he has dis-taste for any princible of human's self-rule is pretty evident. Wasn't that why Ghaleon did what he did, because he thought he was doing the right thing?

- "Sometimes life smiles when it kicks you down. The trick is to smile back."

Lunar Eclipse
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Lunar Eclipse »

phyco126 wrote:SSSC wise, I thought that Ghaleon was mad because he felt that Althena shouldn't do what she did, and that Dyne had helped her do it? The fact that he has dis-taste for any princible of human's self-rule is pretty evident. Wasn't that why Ghaleon did what he did, because he thought he was doing the right thing?

Of course. He thought Lunar needed an absolute ruler, whether that be him or (as he stated in death) the Dark Goddess Althena.
Let those who war with life forfeit their own! -- Mareg, Grandia II

phyco126
Dragonmaster

Post by phyco126 »

Yeah, I read through all of the screens that G1 has on Lnet about that part. It's pretty clear that Ghaleon was pretty upset that Dyne helped Althena do what she did, and the fact that she did do what she did. He stated that he felt that Althena was crazy. Yay.

- "Sometimes life smiles when it kicks you down. The trick is to smile back."