Identify this Mystery Town

For discussion of Lunar: Silver Star Story, the remake of Lunar 1 for Saturn/Playstation/PC and all its translations
sadrius
Meryod Yokel
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

Identify this Mystery Town

Post by sadrius »

I figure this is a screenshot from an early build of Lunar: SSS... but I can't for the life of me think of what town it's of. The only towns from TSS really cut out from SSS were a few from the Frontier, but this seems way too grassy to be the Frontier. The only other possibility I can think of is that they redid the tileset for the final release.

If anyone has information as to what town this was/became, whether it was cut from the final version or had its graphics replaced, let me know. It's been bugging me for years.

Thanks.

Ok, apparently I fail at BBCode-fu

WD RPG WD
White Dragon Knight

Post by WD RPG WD »

It's been a while since I've seen this pic. I, as yourself have no clue what it was supposed to be and I have been looking for this pic for a while so I could ask the same question. Soooo, Alunnissage tell us, my all knowing Godess of knowledge. :o

...or Kizyr/G1

Kizyr
Keeper of Knowledge (probationary)

Post by Kizyr »

Why're you asking Alunissage, when Damon's Disciple stands before you?

It's Burg, by the way. Looks like an early build of it that was revamped or changed, perhaps.

A few reasons why I say that... First, Ramus is in the party, so that limits the options to places before Meribia. Second, the greenery suggests that it's not Meribia, or even Saith. Third, the house on the right is large and looks very much like Ramus's father's (the mayor's) house, given the two stories and symmetry. The part on the upper-left also looks like the river going through town, but I could be mistaken on that part. KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

WD RPG WD
White Dragon Knight

Post by WD RPG WD »

Ya Kiz, I must have been editing my post when you replied because I fixed it after remembering how amazingly smart you were. :roll:

sadrius
Meryod Yokel

Post by sadrius »

See, I thought it was Burg... and I'm so glad they revamped the architecture, because that screenshot's graphics are ugly. I always thought that stream was a mountain though.

Edit 1:
Actually though, because this is an early screenshot, it is not necessarily Burg, Saith, or Meribia. Perhaps by the time this screenshot was taken, the scenario was not in place. So there's really two possibilities:

1. Scenario was in place, and this ugly town became Burg.
2. Scenario was not in place, and this was merely a screenshot of a WIP engine. In that case, it could really be anywhere.

I'm leaning more towards #1, but part of me is having trouble accepting that they felt Burg should resemble anything like that. Honestly, what were they thinking?

Edit 2:
Also, I really don't recall Burg being so green. Burg was certainly lacking in contiguous grass. Hmm.
Last edited by sadrius on Tue Jul 26, 2005 4:17 am, edited 2 times in total.

GhaleonOne
Ghost From The Past

Post by GhaleonOne »

Where did this come from? It's the first I've ever seen of it.
-G1

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

I concur with Kiz's reasoning, but without proof or at least a very strong indication that this was in fact an early build screenshot I'd be inclined to say it's a fangame. Alex's sprite looks familiar, but the NPC to the side seems different in proportion to me, and so it seems likely that it's a fangame with stock tiles and ripped sprites -- or a fake. The biggest thing in favor of it being from the actual game is the cloud shadow on the large house, and that seems too dark. Unfortunately, the shot is too small to examine more closely. The bright colors from the buildings suggested Legend to me, but the buildings themselves don't really match and Ramus's sprite has brown hair in that game.

It's very, very unlikely that this would be from some town that was cut from the final scenario since SSSC was based so closely on TSS. With the exception of Marke, all towns are in all three versions of Lunar 1, albeit greatly changed in the case of the Frontier ones.

By the way, it was really hard to find screenshots from SSSC and Legend to compare cities with -- there don't seem to be many in the screenshot sections of the towns themselves; most are inside houses where dialogue occurs.

sadrius
Meryod Yokel

Post by sadrius »

The NPCs don't look out of proportion to me, but regardless...

The entire screenshot seems to be unnaturally high contrast--perhaps it was taken with an actual camera, or scanned from a magazine (more likely). This would explain the harsh bright colors and the dark cloud shadow.

I know it is definitely not Legend, as this screenshot has been sitting on my harddrive before the first info on Legend was even released. I guarantee it's from an early build of SSS...

...besides, Legend's map graphics (sprites and tileset) were extremely ugly. This screenshot suggests quality equal to graphics found in SSS, albeit with horribly designed architecture.