Sad Day... ; ;

For discussion of Lunar: Silver Star Story, the remake of Lunar 1 for Saturn/Playstation/PC and all its translations
Guild_Premier_Ghaleon
Black Dragon Wizard
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

Sad Day... ; ;

Post by Guild_Premier_Ghaleon »

It was a sad day for my collection... A week or so ago, my copy of SSSC died on me. Of course, I was devastated. I ended up trading my copy of Valkyrie Profile for a pristine copy of the game, box and all... But what will become of Lenneth and her Einjerjar? :(
"Perhaps you should demonstrate the power which gives you such confidence. Then we shall see who is fit to be supreme ruler, and who... is dead!"

HikariOmoi
Black Dragon Wizard

Re: Sad Day... ; ;

Post by HikariOmoi »

I-it died?! That sucks. A lot. I don't know what I'd do if my copy died on me... >.>;

But who's Lenneth?

Werefrog
Dragonmaster

Post by Werefrog »

I would guess... a character in Valkyrie Profile, but I don't know for sure. That's a shame that you had to trade it. I know it's considered one of the RPGs of the era. I've always regretted not picking up a copy back before it became impossible to find.

Guild_Premier_Ghaleon
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Guild_Premier_Ghaleon »

Yeah, it was a gem. Lenneth is a valkyrie under Lord Odin. Its her duty to recruit the souls of fallen heroes and turn them into Einjerjar, men turned into Gods to prepare for the war to end everything, Ragnarok. It was awesome but, doesnt quite beat my love for LUNAR.
"Perhaps you should demonstrate the power which gives you such confidence. Then we shall see who is fit to be supreme ruler, and who... is dead!"

HikariOmoi
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by HikariOmoi »

That does sound like a good game! Now I want to check it out; except, I'd probably think, "Oh cool!" and then never find it. It's too bad that you had to give it up. D:

Dark_Fairy
White Dragon Knight

Post by Dark_Fairy »

That really stinks. :(

I never could track down and buy Valkyrie Profile, but I rented it before and it was a pretty fun game. I'm sure it was hard to give up.

My copy of Lunar 2 Disk 1 is starting to wear out, it still works though. I'm scared it is going to die eventually.

Sonix
Red Dragon Priest

Post by Sonix »

Theres a remake called Valkyrie Profile: Lenneth on PSP. Didn't play either so I don't know the differences.
"And yet, I've realized that maybe living a "decent" life means you won't ever have a "good" life."

bananahands
Burg Farmer

Post by bananahands »

What exactly happens when a CD game "dies?" I don't think I have ever heard that term.

phyco126
Dragonmaster

Post by phyco126 »

Data on a CD can still deteriorate with time. Not to mention that with every use, increases the chance of small scratches appearing on the surface from general use. Small scratches over many years can cause the disk to finally become unreadable.

- "Sometimes life smiles when it kicks you down. The trick is to smile back."

exigence
Blue Dragon Ninja

Post by exigence »

CD rot, i can't remember which system it was saturn or dreamcast that had a problem with it.

jay_are
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by jay_are »

Aw man... Only CDs i've had that die on me, are the ones I use to burn all my computer files, and then for some odd reason, over like 2 years, they just rot!! :shock: Even when not using them much.

Shiva Indis
White Dragon Knight

Post by Shiva Indis »

I don't think I've ever had a commercially copied disk rot on me... yet. Disks I've burned have an obvious shelf life. The passage of time is unkind, isn't it? And you have no more creepy stalker Lezard. :(
「まあいいけど。」

exigence
Blue Dragon Ninja

Post by exigence »

You should make a back up of this one. and i hope you made one of valkyrie profile. The new copy of lunar you got, does it have different disk art by any chance? I haven't played mine for awhile but when i played SSSC a lot i seem to remember the different disk arts having slightly different text in some places. I'm not sure if anyones proven this, but i'd really like to know its bugged me all these years.

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

I'm pretty sure that's not the case. I'm not going to play through each of them to find out, though.

swordandshield
Lyton Singer

Post by swordandshield »

phyco126 wrote:Data on a CD can still deteriorate with time. Not to mention that with every use, increases the chance of small scratches appearing on the surface from general use. Small scratches over many years can cause the disk to finally become unreadable.
The older version of the PS2 had this problem due to the disc hitting the tray and over time it would eventually be too scratched to continue to play anymore. It happened with mine and when I got a slimline it still couldn't play on some of the discs due to the scratches and I take proper care of my video games.

exigence
Blue Dragon Ninja

Post by exigence »

Alunissage wrote:I'm pretty sure that's not the case. I'm not going to play through each of them to find out, though.
That'd be great, its really been bugging me. You could be right though, I never had the chance to play two different versions back to back.

Jenner
Dragonmaster

Post by Jenner »

Guild_Premier_Ghaleon wrote:Yeah, it was a gem. Lenneth is a valkyrie under Lord Odin. Its her duty to recruit the souls of fallen heroes and turn them into Einjerjar, men turned into Gods to prepare for the war to end everything, Ragnarok. It was awesome but, doesnt quite beat my love for LUNAR.

Lenneth and her Einjerjer all die. Loki betrays Odin and depending on how you play the game you either get the good ending, where Lenneth realizes Loki started it all, kills him, defies Odin and saves Midgaard (And remembers her life as a human) The bad ending where you kill Surt and start Ragnarok. Or the BAD BAD ending where you have to listen to Llewellyn and his obnoxious voice actor talk for 3 hours.
The Infamous Jenner!
Maker of Lists.
RIP Coley...
still adore you Kiz.