Lunar SSSC on youtube!

For discussion of Lunar: Silver Star Story, the remake of Lunar 1 for Saturn/Playstation/PC and all its translations
X-Calibar
Meribian Merchant
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

Lunar SSSC on youtube!

Post by X-Calibar »

Hey again everyone!
I know the Lunar SSSC cutscenes had already been uploaded to youtube several times now,
but hey! I did it anyways ;) [link below]

Why you ask? Because, youtube has that new High Quality mode you can select to playback videos, if the videos meet the format required...
Well I used Photoshop to resize and make a batch custom procedure to try reduce the noise of all the videos/enhance the quality..! And meet youtube's guidelines! [yes I used Photoshop! lol]

However, I didn't realize until I had uploaded all the cinematics that the Saturn MPEG versions and the PC version are superior to the PS1 Lunar SSSC videos... So I'm really, really hoping to find a copy of all the original Lunar PC videos. I found one person with it, so I'm hoping I can trade them or something... But, if anyone wants to help me, and has the PC game or knows where I can buy it; I really want to nab those high quality cutscenes ;) [and of course I'll format it and see if I can add the english changes [video and audio] for youtube]
I AM DYING TO SEE GHALEON'S MAGIC EMPEROR SCENE in super quality... :o arrrrrgggggggh lol

Anyways, without further adieu, here's the link to the playlist which contains all of the youtube Lunar 1 cutscenes!
LINK= http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p ... 1B69419CB0 =LINK

-Make sure that under your youtube account options :
Video Playback Quality - is set to High Quality... Otherwise you won't really be seeing the higher quality version.

Also... since the time that I uploaded those videos, I've been learning a new program that will further enhance the video quality, with possibly better noise reduction/keeping detail, as well as fixing some scenes with crazy jerky motion or low FPS. I'm still learning it, but I've begun to upload the cutscenes for Lunar 2: EBC.
If you want to see how it's coming with the new program : http://www.youtube.com/user/LexarVantalis

I'm still a long ways away from finishing, but I think the quality is pretty good so far.. I'm wasting too much time on this! But if someone else appreciates it maybe it'll be worth it~
And besides this is my tribute to Ghaleon ;)

EDIT: Also as a bonus, I edited the audio for the intro, boat song, and credits. Since I had the stereo music on CD, I matched up the audio edits and position so it should sound exactly the same as the original mono track, but now better!

The Intro in Stereo - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Igrq3HKx4Sg&fmt=18
Boat Song in Stereo - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oS5pNiabIXQ&fmt=18
Credits in Stereo - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZnM48yZonCU&fmt=18

(The tag &fmt=18 reduces the quality of the video a little, but it allows stereo sound. Great for headphones.)

Benevolent_Ghaleon
BANNED

Re: Lunar SSSC on youtube!

Post by Benevolent_Ghaleon »

You're great for this.

GhaleonOne
Ghost From The Past

Post by GhaleonOne »

I've been considering putting up all the high-quality PC vids, either on YouTube, or by building my own Flash Video Player. It'll take time if I do it though. I don't want to just offer them for download, because hotlinkers kill my bandwidth when that happens.

Actually, what I've really wanted to do is get the Sega CD video's up, but I need to find a way to capture them.
-G1

X-Calibar
Meribian Merchant

Post by X-Calibar »

GhaleonOne wrote:I've been considering putting up all the high-quality PC vids, either on YouTube, or by building my own Flash Video Player. It'll take time if I do it though. I don't want to just offer them for download, because hotlinkers kill my bandwidth when that happens.

Actually, what I've really wanted to do is get the Sega CD video's up, but I need to find a way to capture them.
After a long difficult series of fortunante events, I have finally gotten ahold of the Korean PC version...!!!!!!

So, if you don't get around to it, I should be able to post those on youtube [which halves the resolution I think]... [well, after I edit all the eternal blue complete videos first.. ]
There's a trick though, if I have time to spare, some of the videos are going to need to be edited to match the english lip sync and timing etc...
A few videos look like they need a little cleaning as well. But it might not be needed since youtube even at high quality still removes quite a bit of detail.

Oh and I'll only be uploading them with Working Design's english audio though, so if you have the japanese PC version or the korean version and want to post them I have no plans to do that.. !

PS : LOL Kyle's voice actor in Korean.................... is interesting / scary lolll ;p
...finally I got to see Ghaleon in high qualityyyyyyyyyyy .... :oops: 8)

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

How'd you end up with that? I have the limited edition Korean game, but not the regular one. It's the only Lunar release I don't have.

I don't really see the point of dubbing in the English audio. Isn't it more interesting to hear something new?

X-Calibar
Meribian Merchant

Post by X-Calibar »

well... it started off by searching importing sites in english, and eventually I started sifting through sites of a questionable nature [random google...] I THOUGHT I had at last found it when it turned out to be a total scam site [I was almost ready to pay for it but... after more research I discovered it wasn't really there to begin with... yikes]
A few days later I tried again but this time I dug deeper, and started going through all the Japanese sites using translation tools, searching for a place I might buy it. It ended up being impossible for me to find such a place... (I also tried contacting someone I know that has the Japanese version... but never heard back from him or where he got his from.)

I realized later that the Korean version might be easier to find, which I DID manage to find for sale... here : http://www.oldpcgames.co.kr/shopping/sh ... hp?pi=1028
But in the end I couldn't really figure out how to get it imported here.

Very long story short, I was ready to give up and actually had a post typed earlier today to ask you about it.
Well, I decided to try searching ONE more time, and this time I flew through many sites, some questionable [hard when you can't understand half of each site] but, finally I found a link to some place that had the game digitally. I don't think it was a real legitimate purchase site [although it tried to give me that impression] and I prefer having hard copies... but... :(
I really just wanted to see what those cutscenes looked like in high quality... ;p *impatient*
EDIT : At the time I felt so triumphant that I finally had found a place I could get it... but hindsight, writing this, maybe I should have waited...

I would like to continue to keep an eye out to import a hard copy of the japanese PC version as I'm intending to learn japanese; and that was the version I originally intended on getting in the first place...

As for why would I redub into english? Only John Truitt does Ghaleon justice in my opinion... :P I find the other language versions more of a curosity... The videos I put up on my youtube are all about reminiscing my childhood VG memories, or other things I find nostalogic.

...You are a true fan, wanting everything Lunar; but I'm just someone who wants to see the same games I enjoyed as a kid, in the highest quality possible...

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

Thanks for that link! I did try for quite a while to find that release but the language barrier is even greater for me in Korean. However, I have an assistant who speaks it (I, uh, only realized today that she's Korean rather than Chinese) and maybe I can work with her to get it.

You really should hear the Ghaleon in the Japanese Lunar TSS. He sounds totally deranged in that one.

G1 and I talked about putting at least some of the Korean movies up at some point so people can hear the other voices. So it might be worthwhile to upload some of the originals too. The Trinity of Terror scene, for example, sounds totally different. (Hm, I wonder if my assistant would be willing to translate for me...)

Benevolent_Ghaleon
BANNED

Post by Benevolent_Ghaleon »

Alunissage wrote:(I, uh, only realized today that she's Korean rather than Chinese)
LAWL

X-Calibar
Meribian Merchant

Post by X-Calibar »

Alunissage wrote: G1 and I talked about putting at least some of the Korean movies up at some point so people can hear the other voices. So it might be worthwhile to upload some of the originals too. The Trinity of Terror scene, for example, sounds totally different. (Hm, I wonder if my assistant would be willing to translate for me...)
Well... since I still haven't reformatted my computer and fixed my editing program :O I decided to go ahead and just upload the original Korean Lunar PC cinematics to youtube :O

So if you haven't seen Lunar PC cinematics [high res] watch em in high quality and enjoy :)
The Korean version features Korean voice actors and some different songs and sound effects. Pretty interesting... I still want to see the PC Japanese version :O and still want to edit the PC cinematics to english, but for now...
Enjoy : http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p ... 909145081D
I highly recommend using youtube's high quality option btw. At least that's most of the reason I sought these videos out :D

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

Aha! I had totally forgotten which thread had the link to the Korean game site! I -did- manage to get the game (new!!), so thanks again for the link! (I haven't opened it, though; the disc art is the same as on the LE I already had, so I expect the discs themselves are as well.)

I still don't get why you'd dub the voices, but I suppose we'll have to agree to disagree on that one. ;) I do remember that when my husband saw the (Japanese, I think) Lunar PC movies he thought they had probably just been recompressed from the PlayStation ones, although he adds now that he supposes they could also have been recompressed from the masters. Either way, I got the impression that the movies themselves were not significantly different in quality, so why not just rip them from the PS discs if you want them in English? (I assume a utility for that exists, anyway.)

Of course, I haven't seen the SSSC movies in years; I've actually most recently seen the first two or so Saturn MPEG ones. Hm, I wonder if there's a way to rip the same scene from all versions (original Saturn, Saturn MPEG, Japanese PlayStation, US PlayStation, Japanese PC, Korean PC) in a way that would preserve quality differences. I'd originally been thinking of doing that just for the languages, but with four different Japanese game versions, why not?

By the way, you said "different songs". I'm guessing by this you're referring to things like the bromide movies, which have vocal songs in the Japanese game, and the couple of movies that WD added TSS music to. Because, you know, the actual full songs in the Korean version are from the US version. ;)

X-Calibar
Meribian Merchant

Post by X-Calibar »

Alunissage wrote:Aha! I had totally forgotten which thread had the link to the Korean game site! I -did- manage to get the game (new!!), so thanks again for the link! (I haven't opened it, though; the disc art is the same as on the LE I already had, so I expect the discs themselves are as well.)
Glad to have helped :D
Either way, I got the impression that the movies themselves were not significantly different in quality, so why not just rip them from the PS discs if you want them in English? (I assume a utility for that exists, anyway.)
Here's a convenient quick comparison :
To the Dark Frontier
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QXnQkzcaAqU&fmt=6 - Playstation US version
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I7u4BarbYII&fmt=6 - Korean PC version

Needless to say, I ripped the PS version and used Photoshop to try to clean it up. And I had to blow it up in size since the original size was around 320x240 or less.
The PC version on the other hand was 640x480 and I didn't even clean it up at all :O
Of course, I haven't seen the SSSC movies in years; I've actually most recently seen the first two or so Saturn MPEG ones. Hm, I wonder if there's a way to rip the same scene from all versions (original Saturn, Saturn MPEG, Japanese PlayStation, US PlayStation, Japanese PC, Korean PC) in a way that would preserve quality differences.
That sounds interesting, however with the PC version I think it is unnecessary. Don't forget youtube reduces the resolution by half for the high quality version :o
By the way, you said "different songs". I'm guessing by this you're referring to things like the bromide movies, which have vocal songs in the Japanese game, and the couple of movies that WD added TSS music to. Because, you know, the actual full songs in the Korean version are from the US version. ;)
Well, I sure thought there were different songs or remixes (I know there are at least a few besides the bromide... or so I thought) but right now I can't find them :O There definitely is, however a number of sound effects that are completely different.

Oh here's one video difference :
A Goddess Reborn
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tPk4cpVzgXA&fmt=6 - PS version
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IwfDjrZRZvE&fmt=6 - PC version

In any case I was gladdd to see the higher quality of the PC version :D I wasn't sure how much better it could be...

EDIT: here's one more :O
Warm Embrace
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TZfm2mi9y88&fmt=6 - PS version
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yxhVrCHWtcc&fmt=6 - PC version

phyco126
Dragonmaster

Post by phyco126 »

Some VERY noticeable differences on the last two. On the very last one, it was so clear that I had to pause it at 2:45 to take in the sites.

Mmmmm, dark althena in HD goodness.

- "Sometimes life smiles when it kicks you down. The trick is to smile back."

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

X-Calibar wrote:
Alunissage wrote:Of course, I haven't seen the SSSC movies in years; I've actually most recently seen the first two or so Saturn MPEG ones. Hm, I wonder if there's a way to rip the same scene from all versions (original Saturn, Saturn MPEG, Japanese PlayStation, US PlayStation, Japanese PC, Korean PC) in a way that would preserve quality differences.
That sounds interesting, however with the PC version I think it is unnecessary. Don't forget youtube reduces the resolution by half for the high quality version :o
Unnecessary how? I'm after comparing version differences, not just getting the higher-quality video (which, of course, I don't need). My concern is whether it's possible to rip the video from the console games for the purpose of setting up that comparison. I didn't have YouTube in mind for the results; I'm not sure why you thought I did.

gemini2378
Meribian Merchant

Post by gemini2378 »

VLC can play PlayStation STR files and Saturn CPK files. For Saturn games you should be able to copy the files to your hard drive normally (it works that way for Guardian Heroes), but for PlayStation you might have to use PSXMC (I had to use it for my copy of Lunar, but the Japanese PlayStation version might be different).

What you'll be comparing is 224x192 MDEC for PlayStation, 320x224 Cinepak for Saturn (I'm not sure what Saturn MPEG resolution is), and 640x480 MPEG for PC.
My Lunar files
Useful programs - WinRAR and VLC Media Player

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

Thanks. Any idea of whether the MPEG Saturn one, which requires that MPEG add-on, would make a difference?

Every now and again someone asks here what the difference is between the Saturn and PlayStation versions of the games. It'd be nice to just show by example.

gemini2378
Meribian Merchant

Post by gemini2378 »

Alunissage: Any idea of whether the MPEG Saturn one, which requires that MPEG add-on, would make a difference?
The Saturn MPEG version will have a different resolution (either 352x240, 352x288, 640x224, or 720x576) and a different codec (MPEG-1 instead of Cinepak).

When it comes to the quality of video files (any video files) there are 4 main things to consider:

1. Source
2. Container
3. Codec
4. Bitrate

All versions of Lunar should have the same source. Container and codec are determined by the hardware. Bitrate is just a matter of choice.
My Lunar files
Useful programs - WinRAR and VLC Media Player

X-Calibar
Meribian Merchant

Post by X-Calibar »

Through a series of fortunate events I got the videos to disc 2 of the Japanese PC Lunar SSSC... (thanks!)
Well here they are!
http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p ... 5145563D25

I'd still love to find disc 1 so I can hear Ghaleon's "coming out party" in Japanese :D

GuyaneseG
Burg Farmer

Post by GuyaneseG »

X-Calibar wrote:Through a series of fortunate events I got the videos to disc 2 of the Japanese PC Lunar SSSC... (thanks!)
Well here they are!
http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p ... 5145563D25

I'd still love to find disc 1 so I can hear Ghaleon's "coming out party" in Japanese :D
thanks for the share!!

X-Calibar
Meribian Merchant

Post by X-Calibar »

Just an update...
With the new youtube HD mode, I've reuploaded the Lunar PC Korean and Japanese cutscenes in this new HD format. I would like to eventually do the same for the english videos too~

http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p ... 909145081D - Lunar PC (Korean)
http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p ... 5145563D25 - Lunar PC (Japanese)

Click 'View in HD' to see the new quality... if your computer can handle it!

LuNaRtIc
Bromide Hunter

Post by LuNaRtIc »

These, sir, absolutely blow my mind. :shock:
Such gorgeous clarity!!! My eyes might explode! T3T

Thank you so very very much for doing all of this!!! :D
「美しい白い竜 愛しい白い竜…」
My avatar art was done by luleiya! <3