How many copies were printed?

For discussion of Lunar: Silver Star Story, the remake of Lunar 1 for Saturn/Playstation/PC and all its translations
TonyTheTiger
Burg Farmer
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

How many copies were printed?

Post by TonyTheTiger »

I know that L:SSSC was WD's best selling game but how many copies were actually printed? I know that the Fan Edition of the game was printed in about 1/30 the quantity as the full version but just knowing the ratio doesn't help figure out real numbers. Anyone know either one?

Temzin
Black Dragon Wizard

Re: How many copies were printed?

Post by Temzin »

I often wonder that myself. I never run into anyone in the US or Japan who knows Lunar (except for friends I've converted over the years), so I'm always curious as to how many copies of TSS, EB, SSS, and EB remake were made. I thought I remembered that the US print run of SSS was about a quarter of a million, and EB remake something very close, like 186,000 or so. I've not seen any Japanese figures nor can I remember where I saw these sales figures, sadly.
aka Maou

Imperial Knight
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Imperial Knight »

Those numbers sound about right to me, as I have heard from several sources that SSSC sold about a quarter-million copies (with EBC selling fewer), and I'd guess that the difference between how many copies were printed and how many were sold isn't that great for either game.

TonyTheTiger
Burg Farmer

Post by TonyTheTiger »

Yeah, I was under the impression that 250,000 is the number but I can't be sure.

http://psx.ign.com/articles/087/087665p1.html

Victor Ireland says in this interview something about 250,000 but based on the context, I can't be positive those were the final sales figures of SSSC.

Benevolent_Ghaleon
BANNED

Post by Benevolent_Ghaleon »

TonyTheTiger wrote:Yeah, I was under the impression that 250,000 is the number but I can't be sure.

http://psx.ign.com/articles/087/087665p1.html

Victor Ireland says in this interview something about 250,000 but based on the context, I can't be positive those were the final sales figures of SSSC.
If he's wrong, you better be damn sure not to call him on it. :lol:

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

No one would have the figures to be able to contradict him.

WD won an award of some sort for that 250K sold of SSSC. I don't remember what exactly it was for, but I remember Vic pointing it out to me. Most copies of a PSX game sold in some category or time period, or something like that.

I really doubt that EBC's numbers were comparable, though. They planned a third disc art set that was never printed, and of course it was just harder to sell PSX games at that point, and expensive ones at that.

The Fan Art Edition numbers were much, much smaller. I want to say 3000-4000, but it may have simply been "a few thousand".

Benevolent_Ghaleon
BANNED

which makes me surprised to have seen so many Fanart editions on ebay.

TonyTheTiger
Burg Farmer

Post by TonyTheTiger »

Funny you should bring that up as it's the reason I came here to begin with:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 0198844779

I won this auction and it's Vic who's the seller. I've been talking to him via email. I was wondering how many copies of the Fan Edition were printed because he said in the auction that it was printed in less than 1/30 the quantity of the original edition but that doesn't say much without the actual numbers of either one. Assuming 250,000 is the print run that would put the Fan Edition at around 8,000. That's reasonably scarce if you think about it. Panzer Dragoon Saga had a printing of about 10,000 if I remember correctly and most people consider that a rarity.

Benevolent_Ghaleon
BANNED

TonyTheTiger wrote:Funny you should bring that up as it's the reason I came here to begin with:

I won this auction and it's Vic who's the seller. I've been talking to him via email. I was wondering how many copies of the Fan Edition were printed because he said in the auction that it was printed in less than 1/30 the quantity of the original edition but that doesn't say much without the actual numbers of either one. Assuming 250,000 is the print run that would put the Fan Edition at around 8,000. That's reasonably scarce if you think about it. Panzer Dragoon Saga had a printing of about 10,000 if I remember correctly and most people consider that a rarity.

I've seen people pay well into the thousands for PDS.

TonyTheTiger
Burg Farmer

Post by TonyTheTiger »

You serious? Even sealed copies don't go for much more than $500. But regardless, the Fan Edition would never go even close to that because there's a more common alternative (the standard version) for people who just want to play the game. The Fan Edition is more of a collector's item nowadays it seems.

GhaleonOne
Ghost From The Past

Post by GhaleonOne »

FYI, EBCs numbers were in the 100-200k range. Magic Box used to have the numbers, but I went and looked and they finally removed the Lunar's numbers from their charts apparently. I just remember EBC's numbers being in the 100ks. I want to say 175k-ish, but I don't remember well enough.
-G1

AlexHiro4
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by AlexHiro4 »

TonyTheTiger wrote:Funny you should bring that up as it's the reason I came here to begin with:

Wow, I just looked at that auction that you won. Did you get Vic to autograph it?
Dwight: "One thing about deer, they have very good vision. One thing about me, I am better at hiding than they are...at vision."

TonyTheTiger
Burg Farmer

Post by TonyTheTiger »

Yeah, I requested that he sign both the game and the strategy guide. He just sent me an email today that he shipped out the items and even upgraded the shipping to priority mail and said he threw in some bonus items as a thank you. Stand up guy, I'd say.

I've never been a collector, really, and this is going to be my first genuine "collector's piece" that I'll display. Really, that's why I wanted to know how many copies this game has out there. So it could be an extremely geeky conversation piece. "Yeah, this is one of only <insert number> copies. And this is not only sealed, but autographed, too."

My running assumption is that 250,000 copies of the standard version and 8,000 copies of the Fan Edition exist. I really wish I could get some more rock solid confirmation on this, though. I asked Vic in an email but I didn't get a response.

TonyTheTiger
Burg Farmer

Post by TonyTheTiger »

I decided to email Victor again and this was his response.

"Less than 10,000 of that [Fan Edition] were made. There were close to 300,000 LUNAR sold overall."

So them's the numbers right from the producer himself.

AlexHiro4
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by AlexHiro4 »

TonyTheTiger wrote:I decided to email Victor again and this was his response.

"Less than 10,000 of that [Fan Edition] were made. There were close to 300,000 LUNAR sold overall."

So them's the numbers right from the producer himself.
That's really impressive that you own a version of a game that was made in that small of a quantity.

Btw, do you still have Vic's email address? If so, could you PM it to me?
Dwight: "One thing about deer, they have very good vision. One thing about me, I am better at hiding than they are...at vision."

TonyTheTiger
Burg Farmer

Post by TonyTheTiger »

Uh...I do have it but I don't know if I should just hand it out like that. Bad form, ya know? He's got ebay auctions up and says any questions can be directed to him at <insert email> so you can find it that way. His auctions are pretty obvious.