Names of more Dragonmasters

For discussion of Lunar: Silver Star Story, the remake of Lunar 1 for Saturn/Playstation/PC and all its translations
Kizyr
Keeper of Knowledge (probationary)
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

Names of more Dragonmasters

Post by Kizyr »

I'm working on the expanding the SSS Vol. 3 novel summary (Vols. 1 and 2 have already been updated--check the frontpage). I came across something really interesting:

Starting on Page 37, here's the summary and some translation:

Nash explains that Vane itself is shaped like a cone, with the city on the flatter, circular part at the top. At the back is a large building and two towers: the Magic Guild, the Silver Spire, and the Crystal Spire.

[38] The Silver Spire, the Crystal Spire, and the Magic Guild. These places were the at heart of many bards' tales that Alex was familiar with. The legendary Dragonmaster Lady Chloe [kuroe], a beastwoman, together with the Premier of the Magic Guild Miruka [miruka], and the Priest of Althena Jevron [jevuron], sealed away a "great darkness" in the Silver Spire. And another time, Cyclone Zeon [zeon] took Milenia [mireenia] and ascended the spiral staircase inside the Crystal Spire. Much later, the Gold and Silver Sisters Alicia and Laticia [arishia, rixina] each climbed to the top of the Silver and Crystal Spires.

There were so many legends about Vane, and now Alex could see the buildings and places he's only heard about in those legends before his very eyes. Luna, though, feels a bit strange, but can't quite figure out why.

[41] Nash continues his explanation about Vane. Across from the Magic Guild are the Magic Library and the Magic School. There is also a large plaza at the center of Vane. The plaza is where many of Vane's ceremonies and rituals take place. For instance, the plaza is where Dragonmaster Nike [nike] once--

Alex continues the story: where the Four Dragons were once gathered to appoint the new Dragonmaster. Dragonmaster Nike was the one who took all Four Dragons' trials at once, in that plaza.

Chloe and Nike haven't been mentioned before. And, those details about Zeon (called "Gaull" in SSS) and Alicia/Laticia are all new. KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

Alunissage
Goddess

Re: Names of more Dragonmasters

Post by Alunissage »

Awesome! I've thought for a while that a beastwoman Dragonmaster should be the protagonist of the next Lunar game.

I'm kind of thinking that it would be good to find another rendition of Nike, though. I don't know if they intended a reference to the Greek goddess, but I'm pretty sure it wouldn't be read that way now, and the sports-shoe pronunciation is kind of ingrained. Nikei? Also, I wondered about Milenia - isn't there a Grandia character named that? Would the E be pronounced "ay"? Milainia? Mirainia? I think I'm biased in favor of R because of Miria in EB.

Kizyr
Keeper of Knowledge (probationary)

Post by Kizyr »

Alunissage wrote:I'm kind of thinking that it would be good to find another rendition of Nike, though. I don't know if they intended a reference to the Greek goddess, but I'm pretty sure it wouldn't be read that way now, and the sports-shoe pronunciation is kind of ingrained. Nikei? Also, I wondered about Milenia - isn't there a Grandia character named that? Would the E be pronounced "ay"? Milainia? Mirainia? I think I'm biased in favor of R because of Miria in EB.
I think the reference is intended; the Japanese pronunciation is similar to the Greek pronunciation. The standard English pronunciation of Nike (the goddess) is same as the pronunciation of Nike the shoe company, so it doesn't matter if someone pronounces it that way.

As for Milenia, I'm more in favor of an L because of Lemia in SSS. The "e" is pronounced how an "e" is always pronounced in Japanese (similar to the short e sound). The only trick is to find a good transliteration that looks like the first syllable should be pronounced like "mille" (short I, short E) instead of "mile" (long I). KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

phyco126
Dragonmaster

Post by phyco126 »

Nike, Just Do It. :)

- "Sometimes life smiles when it kicks you down. The trick is to smile back."

DezoPenguin
Red Dragon Priest

Post by DezoPenguin »

I'm curious about the reference to "a darkness being sealed away" in the Silver Spire. Since we get into the Spire in SSS, and it has a completely different function. Not only is there no hint of anything being sealed in there, but given that the Spire has a specific magic-focusing function for which it was created, it seems to me to be a horrible choice of places to seal something nasty.

Of course, the tour is being conducted by Nash, not Mia, and things like the secret function of the Silver Spire tend to be Ausa Family Secrets not generally shared with mere Level 3 Apprentices, even ones who suck up to the Premier. Good lesson on how legends change, often drastically, over time (certainly sheds some light on the "why didn't anyone know Althena was dead?" issue in EB).

Benevolent_Ghaleon
BANNED

Post by Benevolent_Ghaleon »

phyco126 wrote:Nike, Just Do It. :)

as i was scrolling down i was going to post "here come the just do it jokes." and then i see this. :lol: