Lunar music listing question

For discussion of Lunar: Silver Star Story, the remake of Lunar 1 for Saturn/Playstation/PC and all its translations
MetalFRO
Meribian Merchant
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

Lunar music listing question

Post by MetalFRO »

I have a couple PSF files that contains all the musical tracks from Lunar & Lunar 2. They all have the correct names of the songs (afaik, anyway). I used Winamp and the PSF/PSF2 plugin to dump those to .MP3 so I could put them on my iPod. However, since that means the tracks are in alphabetical order, they play in a weird order for me. Does anyone have a list (or know where on the web I can find one) that contains a listing of all Lunar songs in the chronological order they appear in the game (from the title screen theme to the closing music) so I can give these all track numbers? I think when I listen to the entire soundtrack, it would flow better (I have the entire FF7 OST set up that way). Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Music reviews
Listen to "The Gamut" Sunday evenings from 9 PM - midnight EST on Blabber Jesus Radio!

Benevolent_Ghaleon
BANNED

Post by Benevolent_Ghaleon »

put all of that up somewhere on the net for others to grab and i'll do all i can to help you out.

GhaleonOne
Ghost From The Past

Post by GhaleonOne »

I'm confused. Is this the Working Designs soundtracks, or in-game music, or?

I believe I have soundtrack listings on the site for the WD soundtracks. In fact, all the soundtracks should have listings, if that's what you're looking for.
-G1

DevNall
Blue Dragon Ninja

Post by DevNall »

GhaleonOne wrote:I'm confused. Is this the Working Designs soundtracks, or in-game music, or?

I believe I have soundtrack listings on the site for the WD soundtracks. In fact, all the soundtracks should have listings, if that's what you're looking for.
PSF files are rips of the in-game music. As none of the soundtracks are "complete", I don't think there's a canonical ordering.

MetalFRO
Meribian Merchant

Post by MetalFRO »

Right, the PSF rips are in-game music. I'm not interested so much in a strictly canonical listing, more of a "best guess" kind of thing. Here are links to the Lunar & Lunar 2 PSF rips on Zophar's Domain:

Lunar: SSSC PSF

Lunar 2: EB

As I said, I'm not looking for a perfect listing, just something that will give me a general chronological listing of tracks (starting w/ the title screen theme song) so I can give each .MP3 a track # in it's ID3v2 tag, allowing me to listen to the soundtracks a bit more enjoyably. The FF7 PSF already has most of its tracks numbered (except maybe for 8-9 of them), and it's cool to hear the progression of the music & recall points in the game where eyou heard a specific piece. I'd like to get that same effect for the Lunar music. Any help on this (for those more knowledgeable about the in-game soundtrack than I) would be greatly appreciated :D
Music reviews
Listen to "The Gamut" Sunday evenings from 9 PM - midnight EST on Blabber Jesus Radio!

Zalbag
Red Dragon Priest

Re: Lunar music listing question

Post by Zalbag »

Ocarina, one word.
Last edited by Zalbag on Wed Aug 06, 2008 3:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
I carry [Dyne's Sword]

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

It might be most logical to go in the order that the songs are listed when Alex's Ocarina is used as an item.

MetalFRO
Meribian Merchant

Post by MetalFRO »

That works for SSSC, but you don't have that ability in EB. I thought about making my list for SSSC based on the Ocarina list, though I'd have to check & see if I still have a saved game after completion. However, there's no similar reference for EB, which is what makes it difficult.
Music reviews

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

Yes, there is. It's just like SSSC: use Alex's Ocarina.

MetalFRO
Meribian Merchant

Post by MetalFRO »

Okay, how do you obtain this in EB?
Music reviews

Angelalex242
Legendary Hero

Post by Angelalex242 »

It's in one of the secret epilogue dungeons. Gotta clear 'em all, ya know.
Don't blame me, Lucia promised me lots of snuggles and cuddles if I would be her PR guy.

MetalFRO
Meribian Merchant

Post by MetalFRO »

That would explain it - I never cleared the epilogue stuff. I got stuck & needed to do some level grinding, but went on to a different game & never came back to it. I guess that answers it - I'll need to do the research myself as I get time :D
Music reviews

Zalbag
Red Dragon Priest

Post by Zalbag »

If you ever need the music sheets for songs, let me know. I am collecting them. The only one I have right now, the "official" piano sheet, is the "Sad Piano Theme." Poor Jessica, always crying at the end, or Ghaleon telling you "I will rule the world, but first you have to DIE!"

I am playing most lunar songs by ear. I will be making my own music sheets. Hehe.

Sad Piano Theme
Sad Piano Theme(Strings)

Let me know what you think, I think it sounds perfect :)

Bonus:

Castlevania: Bloody Tears
Mask of Zorro: Lifetime
Final Fantasy VII: Those who Fight
I carry [Dyne's Sword]

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

"Official" piano sheet?

Zalbag
Red Dragon Priest

Post by Zalbag »

Alunissage wrote:"Official" piano sheet?
Yeah. The actually music sheet from the book, but to make it educational they transposed but its still the official music sheet, just a different look from the book. I don't know how to really explain this process, but its straight from the artist/musician.

Personally I did find the Lunar Piano Book, but I didn't have 400 bucks to buy the rare thing, but I get some music sheets from nice people who love the music as well.
I carry [Dyne's Sword]

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

What are you talking about?

Zalbag
Red Dragon Priest

Post by Zalbag »

Alunissage wrote:What are you talking about?
Okay I'll make this as simple as possible. You know what Music Sheets are yes? That have lines and dots on them. Musician's use them to learn how to play individual songs.

Okay, now most game companies have music departments (i.e. Lunar SSS). They will create a book, that ends up having this "sheet" music in the book to let people learn to play their favorite songs. What I was saying, is that I don't have this book (400 dollars is a lot of money for me and ebay usually has the books). I have one of the original scores of the "Sad Piano Theme." It was given to me by a friend who got it rescored. This Original Score was basically "re-typed" for educational, and practice only. NOT FOR SALE! This being "Piano Sheet Music" its played on a piano.

I will email people who want it, and not distribute it on this website, my music however is by me and its fine to use.

So all in all, if anyone else plays the instrument of a piano or is just curious to look at it I can give it out. I know many people who would like to play it or have it.

If you feel threaten that this post will harm some type of environment, I'd rather you delete the post then edit.

I don't want to break the rules and I know some fansites/databases have problems with comments like this. I apologize if this effects the community in some way.
I carry [Dyne's Sword]

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

That piano piece is pretty easily transcribed by ear, so published sheet music would hardly be necessary for it. I ask because I have seen one or more fan transcriptions of that particular piece, but have seen no evidence that any Lunar sheet music was ever officially published other than a) a reference by Noriyuki Iwadare to a book published by Doremi and b) one image of the vocal line only, handwritten, of the SSS opening song in the SSS artbook. However, it was not clear from the context of the remark in (a) (which was probably translated) that it was specifically Lunar music in the book, and the artbook image could have been from the actual recording. I will investigate further.

In the meantime, I suggest that when someone indicates that something you said is incomprehensible that you work simply on restating it more clearly, without making yourself sound like an idiot by pretending to explain sheet music to someone who's been reading it longer than you've been alive. Your original statement:
The actually music sheet from the book, but to make it educational they transposed but its still the official music sheet, just a different look from the book. I don't know how to really explain this process, but its straight from the artist/musician.
What book? (My question about "official" sheet music should make that clear.) Why would it be necessary to make sheet music educational? What does transposition -- which means changing the key of the music, not transcribing, rewriting, or (usually) rescoring -- have to do with anything? How does making it look different change anything? If anything IS changed, how can it be said to be straight from the artist/musician?

To address your more recent email, (again) what $400 book that eBay usually has? What makes you think that the developers of the Lunar games have in-house music teams? (They don't. Iwadare is not part of Game Arts.) Why would your friend need the music rescored, since the original piece is for piano to begin with, and if there was indeed something changed, why would you say you have one of the original scores?

Zalbag
Red Dragon Priest

Post by Zalbag »

Alunissage wrote: If anything IS changed, how can it be said to be straight from the artist/musician?

To address your more recent email, (again) what $400 book that eBay usually has? What makes you think that the developers of the Lunar games have in-house music teams? (They don't. Iwadare is not part of Game Arts.) Why would your friend need the music rescored, since the original piece is for piano to begin with, and if there was indeed something changed, why would you say you have one of the original scores?
(Original - Published Officially)

Ah I see what you're saying right here. I do apologize and sorry that I used aggressiveness. I do infact have an original (original published version) and transposed version of the song either or. I should have explained this more clearly.

When I said rescored I did mean transcribed, for like I said "educational purposes," or for yourself. From what I am aware of posting the originals is actually illegal (or against most PHPbb established forums), I can't prove it at all on this forum, perhaps you rewrote the ToA. Yes I do have the original sheet music from the published book.

No its not the original writing (as in Iwadare went into his kitchen to think how it would end in the score). You're correct, there was not a in-game music team like other games (Final Fantasy) etc. (At the bottom its copyrighted date is 1993)

They did release a published book out that did go on ebay, the only one I saw went for $400. This book is as rare as the Final Fantasy Tactic's Book.

But I do apologize, I am not like 40 years old or anything, or have been playing for so long, so I can't really say that I am a master musician. I should have used correct terms. I don't appreciate being called an idiot, but over the internet anyone can say it and well it proves nothing in my book. I found it uncalled for. If you wish to continue to argue, well then go for it. I can tell you don't like me, and well that is something I don't want to happen.

So if you would like to start over fresh I would appreciate it and I think it would be nice if we could get along and enjoy this video game and its wonders. I wouldn't be here if the game sucked and I doubt many of you would either.

But this book, I am not joking, is SUPER rare. If I find any evidence of its existence again, I will run it to you personally so you can see it.

(So to end this, the Lunar: Music Book; it isn't established from Working Designs, it could be one of those fake made ones, but on my sheet it has no transcribed label, only the author's name.) So it could be "Unofficial, I have no idea, I will have to look again" Just the background of the book is blue with the moon and "LUNAR" in Grey Letters. Have you seen it?
I carry [Dyne's Sword]

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

If you could scan the cover or a page or something like that for identification that would be terrific. Anything which has publishing info, etc. I don't think anyone here would be bothered by that; it is, after all, our business to know about Lunar merch, and I don't think any of us have heard of this before. Which is why I wanted to establish what exactly you were talking about before I went off on a hunt for something that turns out to be fanmade. ;)

As for calling you an idiot, what I actually said is that you made yourself sound like an idiot. Which you did with your "you know what sheet music is, yes? ..." You may or may not be aware of it yourself, but I think most people here know that I have a degree in music. It was kind of like telling Kizyr, "You know what kanji is, yes? Lots of little squiggles that mean things in Japanese."