Cadin cocoons

For discussion of Lunar: Silver Star Story, the remake of Lunar 1 for Saturn/Playstation/PC and all its translations
Kizyr
Keeper of Knowledge (probationary)
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

Cadin cocoons

Post by Kizyr »

Ok it's been a while since I played the English version of SSS... When you visited Cadin, are you able to talk to the cocoons at the front of the egg-like structure?

I don't have the dialogue recorded for that part, so I might have to go all the way back and find that out... KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

LuNaRtIc
Bromide Hunter

Post by LuNaRtIc »

If memory serves, I believe so. Unless I'm confusing them with cocoons inside the egg?

I didn't really understand that part as a kid. What was going on? Was it a place where Phacia was nursing weak Vile Tribe members?
「美しい白い竜 愛しい白い竜…」
My avatar art was done by luleiya! <3

Kizyr

Post by Kizyr »

Oh great... Now I have to go back to that point in the English version.

It was a place where the weak Vile Tribe members--those who needed, say, magical life-support--would stay. According to the Japanese version, at least, some of them spend their entire lives like that. KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

Benevolent_Ghaleon
BANNED

Post by Benevolent_Ghaleon »

Kizyr wrote:Oh great... Now I have to go back to that point in the English version.

It was a place where the weak Vile Tribe members--those who needed, say, magical life-support--would stay. According to the Japanese version, at least, some of them spend their entire lives like that. KF
i remember this in the psx version.

LuNaRtIc
Bromide Hunter

Post by LuNaRtIc »

I believe I have a save file not too far away from that point Kizyr. I wouldn't mind getting the dialogue for you if you'd like.
「美しい白い竜 愛しい白い竜…」

phyco126
Dragonmaster

Post by phyco126 »

It explains why they have to be in the cocoons in the english version as well, at which point some of the party begins to express empathy at why they want to be in the land of Althena.

Hehe. Cocoons. Cocoon. Coocoons. Coco. Cooko. Coocoo. I'm coocoo for coco puffs!!! XD XD XD

- "Sometimes life smiles when it kicks you down. The trick is to smile back."

Kizyr

Post by Kizyr »

LuNaRtIc wrote:I believe I have a save file not too far away from that point Kizyr. I wouldn't mind getting the dialogue for you if you'd like.
If you could, I would be extremely grateful! All my saves are at the end of the game, so I'd literally have to go all the way back through it to get there.

What I need is the dialogue when you speak with each of the cocoons, including what Mia/Jessica say when you talk to one of them. Preferably word-for-word...

Here's what the same dialogue is in the Saturn Japanese version:
- "The Frontier... I hate it. A land with Althena's blessings. A land where magic power flows. I want to return... To take it back from the humans..." [entirely in katakana]
- Mia: "There is only a slight amount of magic power in the Frontier, but these cocoon-like things were built so that they could continue to live. Those who are in the Vile Tribe but whose life force is weak probably spend their entire life in these cocoons. That must be it..."
- Jessica: "They spend their entire life like this? THat's... that's so sad."
- "A land where Althena's blessing flows... A land where the Blue Star shines in the sky.... That will soon be ours..."
- "I heard... the sound of the Grindery... That's the sound that will call forth the Vile Tribe to the land overflowing with green. And the sound that will drive the humans to the Frontier."
- "It's... cold... But... living like this, it won't be too much longer... after which humans will be wrapped in these cocoons... hm hm hm."
- "I hate Althena and the humans... I hate Althena's power... But I want the land of plenty." [all in katakana]
Thanks again, by the way. KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

LuNaRtIc
Bromide Hunter

Post by LuNaRtIc »

Not a problem, I'll get it for you. It might take a bit, because the save is at Pao, so I'll try to post it tomorrow.

Interesting, why would some of the sentences be in Katakana while others not? Any specific reason?
「美しい白い竜 愛しい白い竜…」

Kizyr

Post by Kizyr »

LuNaRtIc wrote:Not a problem, I'll get it for you. It might take a bit, because the save is at Pao, so I'll try to post it tomorrow.

Interesting, why would some of the sentences be in Katakana while others not? Any specific reason?
Thanks so much...

Anyway, katakana is used for a lot of different reasons. The way it's used here, it makes it sound like broken or strained speech--it gives it a stiffer and less fluid quality to it.

It might be like if they used, say, Courier New font all of a sudden in the English text. KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

LuNaRtIc
Bromide Hunter

Post by LuNaRtIc »

Sorry I took so long, I got really caught up with school this week. But here it all is, word for word. :D

Cocoon #1:
+ It's...so...cold...in here...but I...won't...be like...this much...longer... Soon...it will...be...the humans'...turn...to suffer...

Kyle: Wh...what is THIS?

Mia: It appears to be a protective cocoon. The walls of the sac absorb the weak magic field of the Frontier... and radiate the inhabitant with the life-giving power. The weaker members of the Vile Tribe might have to stay in cocoons all their lives...

Jessica: How horrible! I can't even begin to imagine spending a lifetime zipped up inside a hideous fleshbag...

Kyle: Yeah, the Vile Tribe may lead difficult lives... but that's no excuse for them to invade our lands and kill us! Whatever bitterness they have should be directed at Althena, not her creation...

Jessica: You're right, Kyle. But living like this might have stolen away whatever reason they once had...

Cocoon #2:
+ Unghhh... We hate humans... we hate Althena... but we want their Green Earth... We want the Green Earth... Where we don't need these cursed cocoons...

Cocoon #3:
+ Ohhh... I can hear the Grindery... The sound that will lead the Vile Tribe to the Green Earth... and push the humans out into the Frontier... Master Ghaleon and his Grindery will bring us the Green Earth... and revenge upon Althena...

Cocoon #4:
+ Uhh... I want to leave this place and go back to the Blessed Lands... I want to take back what the humans stole away from us... I want it back... want it all back...

Mia: My teachers at the Guild taught me that our entire world was once like the Frontier.

Jessica: My teachers at the Shrine taught me the same thing. Althena used her power to transform our world into the "Green Earth." Because the Vile Tribe was engaging in evil acts, Althena sent them to the Frontier... the only place where her magic could not reach.

Alex: ... ... ...

Cocoon #5:
+ Ohhh... The Green Earth, blessed by Althena... the Green Earth... and the Blue Star... soon, they will be ours...
「美しい白い竜 愛しい白い竜…」

Kizyr

Post by Kizyr »

Thank you! You've saved me a lot of work trying to get back up to that point {^^}. KF
~Kizyr (they|them)