Odd, regarding Japan-US Transition

For discussion of Lunar: Silver Star Story, the remake of Lunar 1 for Saturn/Playstation/PC and all its translations
Kizyr
Keeper of Knowledge (probationary)
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

Odd, regarding Japan-US Transition

Post by Kizyr »

Ok I just finished the Saturn version of SSS. I have notes for all throughout the game, highlighting the differences between the English-Japanese versions. But one thing was rather interesting.

In the Sega CD Japanese version of TSS, of course using Alex's Harp was irrelevant at the end when you saved Luna (it was an addition to the US version). In the US PSX version, same thing. However, in the Japanese Saturn version of SSS, using Alex's Ocarina is likewise irrelevant (just as in the Sega CD version).

I checked the guide for the PSX Japanese version, and it doesn't mention anything about needing to play the ocarina at the very end.

So, I remember something about the ocarina at the end being an addition to the Japanese remakes, based on the US Sega CD version. But apparently that's not the case... Has anyone played the Japanese PSX version of SSS to the end and can verify this? KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

GhaleonOne
Ghost From The Past

Post by GhaleonOne »

Yeah, Vic said something about them liking it so much, they added it to the Japanese version. Really not sure on that. I'd suggest checking the PSX version, as maybe it was just that one and not the Saturn counterpart.
-G1

Kizyr

Post by Kizyr »

GhaleonOne wrote:Yeah, Vic said something about them liking it so much, they added it to the Japanese version. Really not sure on that. I'd suggest checking the PSX version, as maybe it was just that one and not the Saturn counterpart.
OBJECTION!
http://objection.mrdictionary.net/go.php?n=2046610

Seriously, though, that was my first supposition. But, if that were the case, you'd think that it'd be mentioned in the guidebook.

It's not the first time Vic has exaggerated about something. KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

GhaleonOne
Ghost From The Past

Post by GhaleonOne »

It's possible I'm remembering wrong, honestly. My memory is a bit fuzzy on what exactly he said regarding that.

And you were just making this post so you'd have a reason to link that video weren't you? :P
-G1

Imperial Knight
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Imperial Knight »

I seem to recall having read where he said something along those lines, but when I tried to Google it I came up empty. The closest I could come up with is this interview, but while he talks about Game Arts having liked the addition with the harp in the Sega CD version, he doesn't say anything about the Saturn or PSX versions.

DevNall
Blue Dragon Ninja

Post by DevNall »

Kizyr wrote:Seriously, though, that was my first supposition. But, if that were the case, you'd think that it'd be mentioned in the guidebook.
I'm assuming this means there were two separate Saturn and PSX guidebooks. How similar were they?

I don't think this would be unheard of; I recall there was a guidebook for one of the Final Fantasy re-releases where the images were taken of the original under an emulator.

Kizyr

Post by Kizyr »

DevNall wrote:
Kizyr wrote:Seriously, though, that was my first supposition. But, if that were the case, you'd think that it'd be mentioned in the guidebook.
I'm assuming this means there were two separate Saturn and PSX guidebooks. How similar were they?

I don't think this would be unheard of; I recall there was a guidebook for one of the Final Fantasy re-releases where the images were taken of the original under an emulator.
Oh no, the Playstation guidebook most definitely had all its images from the Playstation game. There are several things different throughout, such as the addition of extra bromides, a few extra hidden items, etc. Not to mention the graphical quality was different between the two.

In fact, considering how a lot of those things that people would refer to guidebooks for (such as bromide locations) were different, then it'd be more trouble than it's worth to make a PSX guide based on the Saturn version. Not to mention it'd be inaccurate. KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

There were two guidebooks for each version, actually. One of each was by the same publisher, though, and I seem to recall that the layout and such was very similar. I'll check when I get home.

Edit: My mistake, there were two guides for the Saturn game but only one for the PS one, so probably not much point in my searching through them since Kizyr has already done so.

However, I just looked at the Prima guide for SSSC and it does not mention playing the ocarina. Since it was very obviously based on the Japanese game, that's probably indicative.