How about...

For discussion of Lunar: Silver Star Story, the remake of Lunar 1 for Saturn/Playstation/PC and all its translations

A Lunar movie, anyone?

Poll ended at Wed Jun 13, 2007 6:51 pm

Heck Yeah! Bring it on!
40%
Uh, No! Very bad idea.
30%
Not sure! My brain would explode if they did a movie.
30%

Total votes: 10

Wizard27
Lann Fisherman
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

How about...

Post by Wizard27 »

I am wondering if you all would like to see a full length Lunar movie made? I think it would be nice to see one in the process.

Wafrea
Saith Pirate

Post by Wafrea »

id like to see one done however, not sure what type.

Real motion, animation, digital animation?...hahah Claymation!

Na i'd like to see one like final fantasy's adavant children. As long as the original team had something to do with it ..then it would be awesome
Lunar :TSS & SSS
Lunar :EB & EBC
The only Lunar games worth playing

phyco126
Dragonmaster

Post by phyco126 »

I prefer old-school animation, but CG wouldn't be all that bad I suppose if they did it right.

- "Sometimes life smiles when it kicks you down. The trick is to smile back."

Grey Fox
Red Dragon Priest

Post by Grey Fox »

I wouldn't want to see it, I'd be too afraid something is going to get ruined somehow.
No ma'am...no your computer isn't broken, you are...

DevNall
Blue Dragon Ninja

Post by DevNall »

Grey Fox wrote:I wouldn't want to see it, I'd be too afraid something is going to get ruined somehow.
I mentioned this before on another thread, but if they can do a good job with Tales of Phantasia, I think they could do it with Lunar, too.

phyco126
Dragonmaster

Post by phyco126 »

Grey Fox wrote:I wouldn't want to see it, I'd be too afraid something is going to get ruined somehow.
Couldn't possibly be any worse than, say, Lunar: Dragon Song. :P

Royce
Nanza Bandit

Post by Royce »

If it's the story of one of the games retold as a movie, yeah. Especially since my Lunar SSSC was destroyed and I want to see the end...

Kizyr
Keeper of Knowledge (probationary)

Post by Kizyr »

If there were a Lunar movie made, it could be good. But expect the story to be very different from the games--again.

There are already 4 versions of the Silver Star story (not all capital letters, but referring to the story of Alex and his friends):
- Lunar: TSS (Sega CD)
- Lunar: SSS (Saturn/PSX)
- Lunar: Legend (GBA)
- Lunar: SSS Novelization

If they did make a Lunar movie, it'd probably be the closest to the SSS novelization, which is quite different in plotline from the games. The background is the same, but the direction in which the plot moves, the introduction of each of the characters, etc., is different. A Lunar SSS movie would almost inevitably end up being another retelling of the story, with a different perspective and series of events. KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

There's also the Lunatic Festa drama version, though I think at least some of it parallels the novels. That might be the obvious version to make into a movie since the soundtrack would already exist... in Japanese, anyway.

Otherwise, I'm with Grey Fox; I think it'd be too likely to screw something up if it were taken directly from the games. A game story doesn't necessarily work as-is in another medium. When I first played TSS I thought it would make a neat novel, but I'm more dubious now.

Kizyr
Keeper of Knowledge (probationary)

Post by Kizyr »

Alunissage wrote:There's also the Lunatic Festa drama version, though I think at least some of it parallels the novels. That might be the obvious version to make into a movie since the soundtrack would already exist... in Japanese, anyway.
I always forget about that one.

Anyway, the way the story is structured in the novels seems like the most adaptable version for movie-form, even if not the best. The novelization doesn't spend a lot of time talking about dungeon-crawling, introduces all the characters early on, and gives more focus on characterization and backstory in general.

It also opens during the storm where Dyne delivers Luna and Nall to Alex's father's place, which is probably how a movie should begin (I seem to recall a proposed fanscript posted on the WDMB that opened, instead, with the riveting and action-packed scene of Alex and Luna farming crops). KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

phyco126
Dragonmaster

Post by phyco126 »

Kizyr wrote:(I seem to recall a proposed fanscript posted on the WDMB that opened, instead, with the riveting and action-packed scene of Alex and Luna farming crops). KF
HAHAHA! Okay, seriously, I won't bash anyone for their ideas, but I still can laugh at them :D.

Though the opening of Luna being left at their parents would be a good one. I can already picture it in my head via Live-action. =O

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

That fanscript was really, really bad. I think it's up at ff.net or whatever the fanfic site is. I have a copy on my computer somewhere to laugh at. The guy chatted with Zach Meston on IM a bit, and wouldn't take Zach's critique at all, just said that he thought it was fine how it was. He dragged the Destiny in because he thought it was cool, had Alex treating Nall as a pet by pushing him off the dinner table to eat at his proper place on the floor, killed off Nash... it was just unbelievable.

The Lunatic Festa 1 CD opens with a scene between Dyne and Ghaleon, by the way, probably at the time of Ghaleon learning what Dyne and Althena intend to do.

phyco126
Dragonmaster

Post by phyco126 »

Alunissage wrote:...had Alex treating Nall as a pet by pushing him off the dinner table to eat at his proper place on the floor, killed off Nash... it was just unbelievable.
Wha? Wow, I mean, seriously, it's fan stuff like this that turns me off completely from fan fics and what not. Just... wow.

DevNall
Blue Dragon Ninja

Re: How about...

Post by DevNall »

Wizard27 wrote:I am wondering if you all would like to see a full length Lunar movie made? I think it would be nice to see one in the process.
Something someone else mentioned to me sometime back... have you seen Excel Saga?
(Il Palazzo is practically Ghaleon, absurd comedy aside.)

exigence
Blue Dragon Ninja

Post by exigence »

Video game movies seem to be cursed i'd have to say no on this one. Not that i wouldnt want to see it done i think live action would be a great way to tell the story but i just dont think it would get a decent budget.

MaroonChan
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by MaroonChan »

Honestly if there were to ever be a movie I'd like it in anime form. I mean to me it wouldn't be Lunar like otherwise. Plus I love anime and I think it would do better that way. It probably would be cool, but would never happen.

Benevolent_Ghaleon
BANNED

Post by Benevolent_Ghaleon »

phyco126 wrote:
Alunissage wrote:...had Alex treating Nall as a pet by pushing him off the dinner table to eat at his proper place on the floor, killed off Nash... it was just unbelievable.
Wha? Wow, I mean, seriously, it's fan stuff like this that turns me off completely from fan fics and what not. Just... wow.
you're gonna react that way to THIS? there are probably grotesquely perverse lunar fanfics somewhere out there. ALSO does the nash thing surprise you?

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

You're missing the point. The guy who wrote the script considered it to be a serious attempt at translating the Lunar 1 story to the movie medium. Sent it to WD and pestered them about it and all. He didn't write it as part of the sick-fantasy genre. And it was a total hack job on the story, the characters, and so on. Disliking bad fiction and immaturity in writing is a valid reason to avoid fanfic. Whether there are worse forms of it out there than the one we're talking about is irrelevant.

I glanced over the beginning of the script a couple days ago. Some things I forgot to mention are that Luna's hair is brown, Alex's parents are named Talbot and Maria, and (I think) Alex's father also gets killed off near the beginning of the story. I didn't read far enough to check that last one, but that's what I vaguely recall.

phyco126
Dragonmaster

Post by phyco126 »

Benevolent_Ghaleon wrote:
phyco126 wrote:
you're gonna react that way to THIS? there are probably grotesquely perverse lunar fanfics somewhere out there. ALSO does the nash thing surprise you?
What Alunissage said. I can handle things, and tolerate bad fanfics easily enough, I'm not much of a harsh critic with things in the art world (writing, drawings, photography, paintings, graphics, poetry, movies, etc etc etc.) However, something like that WOULD put me off from fanfics. And no the Nash thing doesn't surprise me.

Benevolent_Ghaleon
BANNED

Post by Benevolent_Ghaleon »

the fact that he sent it to WD is hilarious.