Assorted backstory questions.

For discussion of Lunar: Silver Star Story, the remake of Lunar 1 for Saturn/Playstation/PC and all its translations
Lenneth
Meryod Yokel
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

Assorted backstory questions.

Post by Lenneth »

Hello. New person here, looking for some background info out of curiousity/fanfic purposes, yadda yadda yadda. XD Anyway. Have a few questions, pretty much all of them Four Heroes-related.

1. What is this "Heresy War" that a book in Vane in Lunar 2 mentions Dyne being the hero of? Anyone have any information on this?

2. I've looked at the timeline on the site, but it's a little vague as to the ages of Dyne, Lemia, and Mel. Also, how old is Tempest?

3. Related to the above, I'd like to know how old Dyne was when he set out on his adventures and how long it took between then and giving up his powers.

4. I've heard that some characters were supposed to have last names? Anyone know what they were?

5. Related to that, are the names of any of the dragons besides Quark, Nall, and Ruby known? And/or the names of Mel's late wife and Alex's mother? Any minor characters relating to this period, really.

6. Is it known at all how Dyne came to know of Althena's desire for the people to not be dependant on her, and volunteered to give up his power as well?

7. Is there any information at all about the families of Nash and Kyle? Additionally, is Nash a native of Vane, or did he come to the city as a child/young man and pass through the Cave of Trials?

8. Lastly, any information at all that pertains to this period/these characters that I've neglected to ask for would be greatly appreciated.

I realize this is a lot of questions, but I also figured this would be the best place to ask. Any help at all that you guys can give me will be met with much gratitude. :mrgreen:

Kizyr
Keeper of Knowledge (probationary)

Post by Kizyr »

Well, I like a little challenge, so here goes.

1. What is this "Heresy War" that a book in Vane in Lunar 2 mentions Dyne being the hero of? Anyone have any information on this?

Someone with better recollection of the remake books would have to validate that. The main 'hero' thing that Dyne is known for is either (a) helping to save the world from an evil demigod with the other three heroes, and then "losing his life" when he and Ghaleon went to stop the insane Black Dragon, or (b) saving the world and saving Althena, reborn in human form. It depends on if you prefer the backstory given by the remake SSS or the original TSS.

2. I've looked at the timeline on the site, but it's a little vague as to the ages of Dyne, Lemia, and Mel. Also, how old is Tempest?

There's a little bit of guessing involved there. It's been 15 years since their adventure when we begin TSS, and all of them were rather young--in their early 20s, at best. Ghaleon and Dyne began adventuring together and met Lemia when they visited Vane; they appeared about 20 at that time, give or take (Ghaleon, really, would've been over 100 years old).

The visit to Vane and then some is described in the Vane manga. We have a translation o fit here: http://www.lunar-net.com/manga/vane.php

Mel might be a little older. He and Dyne did have that grand seven-day battle on the high seas when Mel was still a pirate, so Mel being younger than 20 at that time is unlikely.

Given that, I'd have to wager that Dyne and Lemia are in their late 30s or early 40s, and Mel is probably in his early to mid 40s. Tempest, no clue; if I had to guess I'd say early 20s.

3. Related to the above, I'd like to know how old Dyne was when he set out on his adventures and how long it took between then and giving up his powers.

He was adventuring with Ghaleon pretty early on. I'd wager 17-18 for a conservative estimate, though it might be earlier. Mid-20s is probably when the entire deal with the rebirth of Althena took place.

4. I've heard that some characters were supposed to have last names? Anyone know what they were?

Most of them do.

Alex Noah
Luna Noah (adoptive)
Laike Bogard
Nash Lumach
Jessica de Alkirk
Mel de Alkirk
Mia Ausa
Lemia Ausa
Alys Brangwin
Phacia Rampling (possible pseudonym)

5. Related to that, are the names of any of the dragons besides Quark, Nall, and Ruby known? And/or the names of Mel's late wife and Alex's mother? Any minor characters relating to this period, really.

Other dragon names are given in the remakes, I believe. I don't recall them off the top of my head, but others might.

Mel's late wife, I don't recall a name being given.

Alex's mother's name is Saria (I think they translated it as Thalia in the GBA Lunar: Legend).

6. Is it known at all how Dyne came to know of Althena's desire for the people to not be dependant on her, and volunteered to give up his power as well?

That much is left open to speculation... I think it relied a lot on Dyne's own beliefs, and how they meshed with what Althena truly wanted. Hence why Dyne was Dragonmaster, not Ghaleon.

7. Is there any information at all about the families of Nash and Kyle? Additionally, is Nash a native of Vane, or did he come to the city as a child/young man and pass through the Cave of Trials?

Kyle's family is never mentioned. His background makes him out to be a lifelong bandit or brigand. Nash, meanwhile, did have to go through the Cave of Trial (mentions so in TSS, I believe), but that doesn't necessarily mean he's not a native of Vane.

Kyle's backstory is mentioned a little in the SSS novel, vol. 3. We have a brief summary up here: http://www.lunar-net.com/novels/sss3.php

8. Lastly, any information at all that pertains to this period/these characters that I've neglected to ask for would be greatly appreciated.

Well, answers open up more questions, and I still wasn't able to get around to all of them here. Maybe other folks will. KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

Lenneth
Meryod Yokel

Post by Lenneth »

Kizyr wrote:It depends on if you prefer the backstory given by the remake SSS or the original TSS.

Well, I've never played the original TSS, the PS1 SSSC was the first opportunity I had to experience the Lunar series. So it's that backstory I'm working off here.

Thanks very much for the answers!

phyco126
Dragonmaster

Post by phyco126 »

Don't forget Thalia Noah, Alex's mother :D

- "Sometimes life smiles when it kicks you down. The trick is to smile back."

Kizyr

Post by Kizyr »

phyco126 wrote:Don't forget Thalia Noah, Alex's mother :D

I already mentioned Alex's mother by name.

Saria. KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

phyco126
Dragonmaster

Post by phyco126 »

D'oh! Didn't see where you mentioned it at first, but after going back and reading through it, I see it now. Boy, don't I feel foolish ^^;.

- "Sometimes life smiles when it kicks you down. The trick is to smile back."

Aquaignis
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Aquaignis »

I have 2 questions, now.

How do Vane-school wannabees get through the Cave of Trials? It was hard enough for Alex's party to get through.
Which one was Luna Noah?
Some of the answers in this post are made of frozen lose with whipped failsauce topping and suck sprinkles......

Agawa
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Agawa »

NextGenerationLunarFan wrote:I have 2 questions, now.

How do Vane-school wannabees get through the Cave of Trials? It was hard enough for Alex's party to get through.

I had always thought that, being the elite school that they were, they wanted students who had a basic working knowledge of magic to apply. In other words, to get in you had to not only have the talent, but study hard.

Also, I could be wrong on this (it's been awhile!) but I seem to remember that in TSS greater emphasis was placed on using magic in the Cave of Trial, unlike in SSSC where you're better off just using normal attacks.
Last edited by Agawa on Tue Apr 04, 2006 1:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

Kizyr

Post by Kizyr »

Agawa wrote:
NextGenerationLunarFan wrote:I have 2 questions, now.

Also, I could be wrong on this (it's been awhile!) but I seem to remember that in TSS greater emphasis was placed on using magic in the Cave of Trial, unlike than SSSC where you're better off just using normal attacks.

Agawa is right. They seriously messed up the difficulty of the Cave of Trial in the remake. In the original TSS, A) it was only Alex (with Nall) who went through the Cave of Trial, and B) normal attacks were useless, so you had to rely entirely on magic. They actually tweaked the difficulty just perfect so that, if you didn't intentionally level up anywhere, then you just barely had enough magic to get through, but it was enough.

Also, Luna Noah is the main female character in Lunar 1. You know, the blue-haired girl that Alex was in love with and saved at the end. KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

More last names:

Myght Fain
Ramus Farnham...? I just looked this up, but I forget. Someone with the I+II artbook can check.

In Legend, the dragons' names are used; Cyan (blue), Amelia (red), Rubeus (black). Amelia is also named in the Lunatic Festa drama CDs; I don't know if the others (besides Fidy/Quark) are.

I think for Alex's mother we should be using the version in Legend, Thalia, since that's actually been used officially in English (as opposed to, say, Zain/Zyne). After all, we're still saying Phacia even though she's Faithia in the artbooks. And Thalia is a plausible name; that of a Greek Muse.

In the I+II artbook Dyne is drawn with his mustache and all and still looking oldish, not Alex-age. We don't know how long they adventured before the event which made the Four Heroes' reputations.

Shiva Indis
White Dragon Knight

Post by Shiva Indis »

Ramus Farmain. Or something thereabouts.

Cyan was used in the drama CDs as well, but the Black Dragon doesn't figure into the drama series that much, and I don't expect that I'll hear the name in the few chapters I haven't transcribed yet.
「まあいいけど。」