Dyne Transformed (but not bearded!)

For discussion of Lunar: Silver Star Story, the remake of Lunar 1 for Saturn/Playstation/PC and all its translations
Sonic#
Pao Tribe Chieftain
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

Dyne Transformed (but not bearded!)

Post by Sonic# »

I had this idea today. I've talked about making costumes before, and have never done so. Even if I don't do this one, I'm still curious about it.

These are pictures, the first two being of Laike, and the last of Dyne right after he renounces his Dragonmaster powers. The cloth around his shoulders looks the same, but the rest of the body is not visible.

Is there any material from an artbook, free sketches, or otherwise that would show Dyne (the cleanshaven recently transformed man) and what he'd be wearing? If not, would it be plausible to go ahead, mostly with Laike's dress, sans beard?
Sonic#

"Than seyde Merlion, "Whethir lyke ye bettir the swerde othir the scawberde?" "I lyke bettir the swerde," seyde Arthure. "Ye ar the more unwyse, for the scawberde ys worth ten of the swerde; for whyles ye have the scawberde uppon you, ye shall lose no blood, be ye never so sore wounded. Therefore kepe well the scawberde allweyes with you." --- Le Morte Darthur, Sir Thomas Malory

"Just as you touch the energy of every life form you meet, so, too, will will their energy strengthen you. Fail to live up to your potential, and you will never win. " --- The Old Man at the End of Time

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

Yes, there are pictures from the SSS artbook showing him just as Dyne. I copied the outfit for my sketch of him playing the harp which is somewhere on the FHS joke page. And...I think it's the same as what Laike's wearing, actually, now that I think of it. It's an uncolored line drawing in the artbook, but the boot cuffs and swordbelt and all look the same as in the screenshot of Laike.

The I+II artbook also has a sketch of Dyne, I think, but he's bearded...seems like the rewrite in SSS also lowered Dyne's age at the time of Luna's birth, since he looks much younger in SSS.

Kizyr
Keeper of Knowledge (probationary)

Post by Kizyr »

Wow, you do actually look like Dyne the Younger. Never noticed that before. KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

Wolfman_Samurai
Red Dragon Priest

Post by Wolfman_Samurai »

DARN IT!! I did this coustume already. Why does nobody remember me?!?....well if it's no beard I suppose it's different... anywho... if you missed the pics here they are for like the forth time...

And I won an Awrad for it!!!! <---(link)

Okay granted I may not have the best body type but I got mad props. I even found a Jessica cosplayer. But i have to dig through my photo cds to find it.

*Edit*

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

Why do you assume no one remembers you? The question didn't come up. Besides, my recollection is that you cosplayed Laike, not Dyne. Sonic is inquiring about the latter.

Wolfman_Samurai
Red Dragon Priest

I'm sorry, I just felt left out thats all. I still like to think of myself as a Dyne cosplayer since thats what folks were calling me and it's also what I put on my entry form for the costume contest.

Sonic#
Pao Tribe Chieftain

Post by Sonic# »

Thanks Alunissage. I looked at that sketch and... yes, I can see the comparison now. And Wolfman, I had been thinking of your Laike costume, if they were similar. Since they are, good!

If I were to make the costume, the main things seem to be the beret, the mantle cloakish thing (I'm never sure what to call them, and normally opt for wavy thing ^^;;;), the shirt, the sash, a belt thing to tie, the pants, and the shoes/boots (I can't tell; you went with shoes, Wolfman, the picture doesn't go so far down).

Now to learn how to sew (well!)!
Sonic#

"Than seyde Merlion, "Whethir lyke ye bettir the swerde othir the scawberde?" "I lyke bettir the swerde," seyde Arthure. "Ye ar the more unwyse, for the scawberde ys worth ten of the swerde; for whyles ye have the scawberde uppon you, ye shall lose no blood, be ye never so sore wounded. Therefore kepe well the scawberde allweyes with you." --- Le Morte Darthur, Sir Thomas Malory

"Just as you touch the energy of every life form you meet, so, too, will will their energy strengthen you. Fail to live up to your potential, and you will never win. " --- The Old Man at the End of Time

Wolfman_Samurai
Red Dragon Priest

I actually downloaded his intro movie and worked from there. I did the best to copy his boots but I ended up making a 3 part mock boot sytem...thing. I used brown loafers with long black knee socks. Then my mom made the cuffs on some elastic. Yes my mom helped me. I am not afraid to admit it.

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

The biggest change I see between Dyne and Laike is in the face. In the SSS artbook he looks like a sad young man, though that's probably just the expression on that particular drawing. His face in general doesn't look as hard. In the rebirth cutscene he looks determined and confident, of course. I'm not sure where the prominent cheekbones and bushy brows come from, let alone the black hair. The latter could be dyed as part of the disguise, of course, but I just don't see Dyne's face being as chiseled. I mostly notice his chin in that flashback, but of course Laike's chin isn't very visible.

I'd really like to see cosplay pictures of both of you in this. Wolfman, I'd forgotten just how good your pic was, in large part because of your face suiting it well. Sonic's face is much different and probably would be a good depiction of "young" Dyne.