First impressions of Eternal Blue

For discussion of Lunar: Eternal Blue, the original game for the Sega CD
Maus
Red Dragon Priest
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

First impressions of Eternal Blue

Post by Maus »

I have been playing it on-and-off for about three days now and, so far, I'm really digging it.

One thing that super annoyed me at first was the high encounter-ratio (and the unreliability of the fleeing option) but once I was able to look past both of those things, the game really started to grow on me. That's not to say that I don't enjoy the battling aspect of the game, though (after all, this is an RPG) but trying to figure out where to go and having to stop dead on my tracks every few steps really threw me off a bit.

The quality of the voice-acting surprised me. Bear in mind that the only other Lunar game that I have played to date was Legend, and I don't recall that one having any kind of voice-acting on it whatsoever, but hearing a nineties game sounding this good was kind of blast. I mean, the quality of the voices wasn't quite on Strife's levels of awesomeness, but it wasn't the original Resident Evil either. I didn't cringe once hearing the various bits of dialogue and the deliveries felt quite solid from my point of view.

But what I'm liking the most is the actual story to the game. It grabbed me very early on and it kept me so interested on the events that were unfolding right in front of me, that I just stopped caring about the tiresome combats and other such things. I'm not still on board JUST because of the story (it's a combination of things, really) but by God I want to know what happens next!

I'm really glad that I decided to play this game and I'm looking forward to my next playing session. Can't really say the same about most other games, really.

PS: I wonder if the small delays between each attack -as well as the two seconds that you have to wait to continue walking after a battle is done- are exclusive to the emulated world or if this also happened on the SEGA CD. I'm actually quite curious about that, since you can speed things up on an emulator anyways.

Alunissage
Goddess

Re: First impressions of Eternal Blue

Post by Alunissage »

Interesting question on the post-battle delay. It's been quite a while since I played the game and I don't think I ever played it on emu, so I can't say. I'm sure someone else here can though (eventually... we're all still quite devoted to the series, but tend to stop by less frequently than in days of yore). I don't recall there being a delay after battle, but I could be wrong.

I'm glad you're enjoying it! I feel that EB is probably the best of the series gameplay-wise, though I generally prefer the Lunar 1 cast. And you'll probably find the writing a bit more polished than Lunar Legend's (which needed another editing pass), if replete with dated pop references.

Maus
Red Dragon Priest

Post by Maus »

Excuse me... do you own/used to own a SEGA CD? If so, there's a few questions that I would like to ask you if you don't mind (it's totally fine if you don't wanna, though). The Genesis was the absolute most common gaming console where I'm from, but both the SEGA CD and the 32X reached "playground rumor" status because of how rare -and unheard of- they were.
I'm glad you're enjoying it! I feel that EB is probably the best of the series gameplay-wise, though I generally prefer the Lunar 1 cast. And you'll probably find the writing a bit more polished than Lunar Legend's (which needed another editing pass), if replete with dated pop references.
Thanks! Not gonna lie... I found the writing to be delightful, and the number one reason to keep on battling thru those nightmare-inducing paths.

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

I do have both a model 2 SegaCD + Genesis and a CDX (both in one). I originally played the games on a model 1 SegaCD which also had the 32X attachment (it belonged to my housemate at the time). I was pretty happy when I realized I could take the 32X attachment off, because each component of that setup -- Genesis, SegaCD, 32X -- had its own power supply. Even with a power strip it was a squeeze plugging them all in.

Where are you in EB? I know I found the Zulan area to be rather excruciating, and the last time I played it I started buying dragonfly wings so that each time I hit one of those snowballs down I'd warp back to the village to heal up. I tend to be really conservative of MP in games but you can't be in that dungeon or the battles take forever.

Maus
Red Dragon Priest

Post by Maus »

Alunissage wrote:I do have both a model 2 SegaCD + Genesis and a CDX (both in one). I originally played the games on a model 1 SegaCD which also had the 32X attachment (it belonged to my housemate at the time). I was pretty happy when I realized I could take the 32X attachment off, because each component of that setup -- Genesis, SegaCD, 32X -- had its own power supply. Even with a power strip it was a squeeze plugging them all in.
Oh yeah, the AVGN made it pretty clear how much of a pain that was (plugging in all three of those systems, I mean). It makes me wonder, though... you are NOT the first person who I have heard saying that they didn't know that the 32X attachment could be removed while playing regular SEGA CD. Wouldn't be funny if that was some sort of backwards marketing campaign on SEGA's side to sell more of the things? [/conspiracy nut].

But seriously, you are not the first person to told me that. Far from it, actually. And I find that rather curious.

You have a real jewel right there, mate. I can only imagine how awesome it would be to play the games on it.
Where are you in EB? I know I found the Zulan area to be rather excruciating, and the last time I played it I started buying dragonfly wings so that each time I hit one of those snowballs down I'd warp back to the village to heal up. I tend to be really conservative of MP in games but you can't be in that dungeon or the battles take forever.
I beat Plantella about four hours ago... on my third try (Gosh I was doing something stupid :P). All I know is that I'm gonna have Jean's theme stuck in my head forever :P

Mmm, I can't be THAT far from Zulan... I'll take your advise into consideration when the time comes :) And BELIEVE ME, after getting lost a good couple of times -and being forced into a dozen of random fights- while trying to find the Illusions Woods, I won't find anything to be excruciating :P

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

Oh crud, I hope I didn't spoil stuff for you. Though it's pretty obvious. Zulan is the snowy city (you have at least once town before then, depending on how you count), and I suggest buying two dragonfly wings when you're there, because there are two places in the following dungeon where you'll have to backtrack a fair bit because something you did opens up more of the area. I figure you may as well warp back to town and heal up and then walk to the new part (it's also a bit of a confusing dungeon) with full health and MP.

I don't actually own the triple-stacked Sega systems I originally played on. My housemate moved in with his various gaming systems, which I think at the time were a Sega Master System, the Genesis/SCD/32X combo, a NES, and a SNES, and I started playing games with him. I grew up playing computer games rather than videogames,and although my sister did have a NES and maybe a SNES by then, she didn't get them until a couple years after I started college. I shared a house with that guy for many years, and in fact he still lives there, but when I finally did move out I needed to get my own SegaCD to replay Lunar. Actually, I only have about three Genesis carts; I have more SegaCD games than I do Genesis games! But I probably never did play a 32X game.

I've played a bit of Lunar The Silver Star on emulator, which is nice for taking notes and screenshots, but being the stubborn person I am I'm still playing off an original game disc, which means I need to hook up an external CD drive if I want to get back to that game. I don't miss the Genesis controller that much, though. The D-pad never did feel right to me.

Maus
Red Dragon Priest

Post by Maus »

Oh crud, I hope I didn't spoil stuff for you.
You didn't! Don't worry about it :)
Though it's pretty obvious. Zulan is the snowy city (you have at least once town before then, depending on how you count)
I'm a sucker for snowy places. I'm looking forward to it :mrgreen: And I assume that you are talking about that place that has nothing but two NPCs, a shrine and a dungeon in it? Been there :P
I suggest buying two dragonfly wings when you're there, because there are two places in the following dungeon where you'll have to backtrack a fair bit because something you did opens up more of the area. I figure you may as well warp back to town and heal up and then walk to the new part (it's also a bit of a confusing dungeon) with full health and MP.
Will do! My battle with Plantella taught me the value of having full MP... the hard way :P Thanks :)
I don't actually own the triple-stacked Sega systems I originally played on. My housemate moved in with his various gaming systems, which I think at the time were a Sega Master System, the Genesis/SCD/32X combo, a NES, and a SNES, and I started playing games with him. I grew up playing computer games rather than videogames,and although my sister did have a NES and maybe a SNES by then, she didn't get them until a couple years after I started college. I shared a house with that guy for many years, and in fact he still lives there, but when I finally did move out I needed to get my own SegaCD to replay Lunar. Actually, I only have about three Genesis carts; I have more SegaCD games than I do Genesis games! But I probably never did play a 32X game.
Haha, I feel you! I only have like five remaining Genesis carts for my Model II :P Also, your housemate was into collecting before it was cool :mrgreen:

The 32X games (that I have played) were... how to put it... a curse for my eyes. Most of them were so bright-looking that I felt like my eyes were melting! Definitely proceed at your own risk.

It's great that you got another SEGA CD, though!
I've played a bit of Lunar The Silver Star on emulator, which is nice for taking notes and screenshots, but being the stubborn person I am I'm still playing off an original game disc, which means I need to hook up an external CD drive if I want to get back to that game. I don't miss the Genesis controller that much, though. The D-pad never did feel right to me.
That's awesome! I wish I own a copy of that jewel.

And, being a long-time Genesis player myself -like... since 1996-, I can assure you that the D-Pad would feel FAR more comfortable if you use it on an action, sports and/or driving game. Tapping it every once in a while can make the experience a bit annoying.

EDIT: I reached the Haunted Manor. This part is feeling a lot like a chore, actually. And I don't really appreciate the cryptic messages and weird combos required to defeat monsters.

Kizyr
Keeper of Knowledge (probationary)

Post by Kizyr »

I also had the full Genesis + Sega CD + 32X combination. Though, the 32X was absolutely worthless, so after playing a bit of the two games I had for it I just left it disconnected. ...in fact, I still have all three of them with me, just not hooked up to the TV.

I do prefer emulating though -- less hassle as long as I can get the emulation to work, and I can use the turbo button to speed through battles. KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

GhaleonOne
Ghost From The Past

Post by GhaleonOne »

I actually got power cords for my Genesis and Sega CD over the Christmas break to see if the systems still worked. I would say it's been 12 years since I last played either TSS or EB. Which is sad considering EB is still my favorite game of all time. That said, I started through TSS a few days ago. I'm moving slow, as I'm lucky to get an hour or two in every other day or so, but when I finish TSS I'm moving on to EB. I'll see if the delay is there after battles when I get to it.

I'm surprisingly finding the TSS battle system a little more tedious than I remember it being. I had forgotten about not being able to place characters around the screen (the order yes, but not the placement). Same with the fact that once a character bites it in TSS, they're done for the battle. But it's fun to take this trip down memory lane after so long. I can't wait to get to EB.

Speaking of EB - if you're at the haunted manor, you're getting close to one of my favorite parts in the game. I don't want to spoil it, but there's a piece of the storyline coming up that is still probably my favorite of any RPG. But the haunted manor was always a chore. On my first play through of EB many years ago, I didn't realize the key to defeating the enemies in that manor. I spent days trying to figure out what was going on. It was very frustrating when I just wanted to know what the next part of the story would bring!
-G1

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

Hey, G1! Wow!

I think in TSS you can pretty much always run from battles, so if you find them tedious there's always that.

GhaleonOne
Ghost From The Past

Post by GhaleonOne »

I'm still alive! I'm part way through EB at this point (died in the Meribian Sewers and haven't come back to it in a day or so). One thing I had forgotten about the originals was how distinct each game was. I know we've talked about it before, but TSS feels raw and literally like you're playing through the legend of the Dragonmaster Alex. Between the little stones around the land that heal you, the remote shrines to Althena, and how it seems Ghaleon hadn't completely taken over already by the time Alex had gotten to Vane. In TSS there's no major Althena's Shrine that's been infilitrated by Phacia. It's still an innocent shrine.

Then you jump to EB, and it feels like a completely different world. But then little pieces of TSS start showing up to connect the two. I won't say anymore, as I know Maus just is playing through it for the first time. I also noticed something I had never even realized before. At the end of TSS's closing credits, it has Alex, Luna and Nall looking up at the Blue Star and the game ends focusing on the Blue Star. Then EB starts there. I wonder if that was intentional? I can't remember if anyone from GameArts ever said that EB was already planned when TSS was being created?
-G1

AkagisWhiteComet
Red Dragon Priest

Post by AkagisWhiteComet »

I - possibly foolishly - also owned a Genesis/Sega CD (Model 2)/32X combo. I was the only person that I can recall knowing that actually had the setup. Knew people that had variations of at least two, but not all three. I only owned three games on the 32X - Doom, Star Wars Arcade, and Virtua Racing Deluxe - and none were really worth justifying the price of the console and games (even by the time it all reached bargain bin status). Most of what I played was I eventually rented every 32X title the local Blockbuster had for it. I by far owned way more Sega CD games, at around two dozen or so at the height.

The only thing I can say about EB without giving much anything away is personally I thought out of all the various LUNAR games released in North America it had the highest difficulty, even with the changes WD made. I possibly breezed through the PS1 remakes quickly because I was familiar with them, but I feel even not being familiar with the Sega CD originals the remakes have a lower difficulty level.

My 32X "died" years ago. I actually pulled my Genesis/Sega CD out some months back and couldn't get the Sega CD unit to work. Likely dead power supply (if memory serves me the 32X and Sega CD Model 2 actually used the same type power pack with black connectors, while the Genesis has a slightly different yellow connector). Unfortunately my physical copy of EB hasn't fared well either and is the worse out of all the LUNARs I own (I have all the US releases of every title). I bought it used from Funcoland (I'm sure plenty of older members remember that, especially if you were like me and didn't live anywhere near a physical Funcoland and had to get the little B&W mail order books) and the optical side has begun to see deterioration. SS is still in pretty good shape and of course the remakes are still in excellent shape.

Temzin
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Temzin »

What a joy to be playing MCD Eternal Blue for the first time! To have spent all one's life without having played one of the finest RPGs ever made, rather than "peaking early" by playing it at age 12...

G1!! G1!! Right on about the TSS mysteriousness, as you've rightly noted and as Alun has, as well. This is all inspiring me to dust off my copies, ideally on an emulator for the same reasons described in this thread. But: it occurs to me, if I'm just emulating the MCD but playing off of the actual disc, maybe I can't do neat things like turn up the speed or save state? MCD EB's dungeons are the best in the series by virtue of the fact that they are elaborate and NOT cluttered with on-screen enemies, but I'm not sure if I'm ready for an un-assisted grind at this point...
aka Maou

GhaleonOne
Ghost From The Past

Post by GhaleonOne »

I'm kind of at a halt with EB. Because of the giant power cords of the Genesis and Sega CD, I have one hooked up on one outlet, and one on another. So between needing the controller to reach the couch, and the AV cords to reach the TV, the Genesis/SCD combo is like in the middle of the room being pulled in three directions. Haha. Last weekend, I was cleaning int he basement and tripped on the AV cords, which yanked them partly out of the TV, breaking the video one. I finally got a replacement last night, but haven't gotten back to it yet.

But I'm in agreement. To be playing EB for the first time! What a joy! But I have to admit, depending on the dungeon, the battles have been a little bit of a chore. The Haunted Manor and Zulan, as Alunissage mentioned. And to the OP - the game only gets better and better as it continues.
-G1

Maus
Red Dragon Priest

Post by Maus »

Sorry guys for have remained silent for so long, but I'm currently struggling to find time to do anything but working (let alone playing the games).

Please keep those awesome memories coming, though, because they are all super inspiring and are making me wanna play SO badly :)

Oh! And EB's battle theme is currently on my iTunes' top 25 most played songs. It gets me unbelievably pumped every time I hear it :mrgreen:

Uncle Ramus
Lann Fisherman

Post by Uncle Ramus »

Dude, check out the Saturn version of Brave Warriors https://soundcloud.com/lvl99ultrathug/07-brave-warriors

I put it on soundcloud myself because I'm trying to promote Lunar's music over on /r/gamemusic https://www.reddit.com/r/gamemusic/comm ... s/dd7u2c1/

Kizyr
Keeper of Knowledge (probationary)

Post by Kizyr »

AkagisWhiteComet wrote:I - possibly foolishly - also owned a Genesis/Sega CD (Model 2)/32X combo. I was the only person that I can recall knowing that actually had the setup. Knew people that had variations of at least two, but not all three. I only owned three games on the 32X - Doom, Star Wars Arcade, and Virtua Racing Deluxe - and none were really worth justifying the price of the console and games (even by the time it all reached bargain bin status). Most of what I played was I eventually rented every 32X title the local Blockbuster had for it. I by far owned way more Sega CD games, at around two dozen or so at the height.
Oh I got the "stack" too! I just got it working again last week too for a housewarming party (we were playing some Sonic CD). I had just two 32X games (Knuckles Chaotix and Star Trek Starfleet Academy -- which was the same as the Genesis version except it had a pool minigame), though several more SCD games of course.

And no, nothing of the 32X library was actually worth the cost...

But several of the Sega CD games still hold their own. Both Lunar I and II obviously, but Sonic CD, Ecco, Popful Mail, etc., also really hold up. (...Sewer Shark, not so much...) KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

MagicGuildMember
Burg Farmer

Post by MagicGuildMember »

My first impressions of Lunar 2 on the Sega CD were:

1. What happened to the world?! Lunar: The Silver Star had a massive world and now it was all reduced to slow walking on a tiny map. I love huge worlds and fast walking in RPGs.

2. Why can't I become a dragonmaster?! After getting all the dragon gear and then Althena's sword from Nall, I was perfectly disappointed to find out I couldn't become like Alex with Hiro.

I know I'm bias, so no one has to agree with me. But Lunar: The Silver Star was my favorite of all the Lunar games. I especially liked the scene where Alex gets Althena's sword in the Goddess Tower. I found that way more compelling than pulling the sword from the stone like King Arthur in Silver Star Story.

Maus
Red Dragon Priest

Post by Maus »

Uncle Ramus wrote:Dude, check out the Saturn version of Brave Warriors https://soundcloud.com/lvl99ultrathug/07-brave-warriors

I put it on soundcloud myself because I'm trying to promote Lunar's music over on /r/gamemusic https://www.reddit.com/r/gamemusic/comm ... s/dd7u2c1/
OK! How haven't I seen that before? That's awesome, mate! Thanks for sharing :D

Maus
Red Dragon Priest

Post by Maus »

So... I actually took "advantage" of the Pandemic to finish the PS1 version of Eternal Blue, which now sits as just my second most favorite RPG (just behind DQ 9).

There was a bit of a hiccup along the way, though... turns out that the PS3 can't switch discs when prompted to do so and I had to start over on Android ^^U!

Other than that... loved it. And I'm itching for a replay!
Last edited by Maus on Mon Dec 26, 2022 12:23 am, edited 1 time in total.