The Goddess' power being used through song

For discussion of Lunar: Eternal Blue, the original game for the Sega CD
Solidor
Burg Farmer
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

The Goddess' power being used through song

Post by Solidor »

One of the biggest things I miss from Silver Star. Luna sang to use her power. Lucia just waves her arms around.

Is there some reason why this aspect of the Goddess just disappeared in EB? I haven't played TSS, only SSSC.

Alunissage
Goddess

Re: The Goddess' power being used through song

Post by Alunissage »

Lucia isn't "the" goddess, she's just a similar type of being. In TSS, song wasn't specifically a means of spellcasting for Althena; she just loved singing, and this was how she was identified as Luna. Luna's spells were called "songs" in the menu and some of them showed a graphic of notes, but this was probably more to distinguish the magic users from the nonmagic users; in that game, Alex doesn't have any magic (of any sort) until it's specifically drawn out from him in Meribia, and Kyle and Laike's spells are called "skills". And probably Tempest's; I forget. But Alex has true magic in that game; none of his spells are sword-based at all and most of his magic is elemental-appearing attack. Plus two or three healing spells, which Jessica and Mia also have. There were no elemental attributes to anything in that game, so while many attack spells had elemental-looking graphics, it was no more useful to use a flame spell on an ice monster than an ice spell. Also, while Althena was shown briefly exerting her power (or being used) to knock Vane out of the sky, there was no song involved.

Eternal Blue introduced elemental attributes with a vengeance, and attack spells that were separate from elemental spells, but had nothing about singing in it in any way that I can recall offhand. Well, maybe Lucia singing to the seagulls a little on the way to Pentagulia, but that was more to illustrate that she was enjoying herself before Hiro hamfistedly brought her out of it. The bit with her singing to the baby in Taben's Peak was added to the remake, and probably her learning a lullabye in Larpa too. If anything, this served to contrast her with Althena as less-experienced and polished; her voice is amateurish rather than distinguished.

Had more to say but have to run now.

Shiva Indis
White Dragon Knight

Post by Shiva Indis »

My thought was Luna tapped into her powers through song, while full on Althena didn't need to.

As for Lucia, since part of her deal is learning the value of song over the course of the game we can't have her singing all the time. There would have been some neat continuity if Lucia sang a song with power at some point in the game, but that would raise a couple of other issues. Like the fact that she doesn't have to do so. Also, song seems to have a different role in Lunar 2 - an emotional force rather than a mystical one - and changing the nature of it would alter the dynamic.
Alunissage wrote:Her voice is amateurish rather than distinguished.
Indeed, Lucia's in-character singing is never that great, regardless of version. Which reminds me...in the Japanese game, Hiro doesn't compliment Lucia's singing prowess on the trip to Pentagulia. He just remarks that she likes to sing now. I wish WD had left that alone.
「まあいいけど。」

ghaleon12
Meribian Merchant

Post by ghaleon12 »

Lucia doesn't have much of any voice, let alone singing. I think Luna knew and believed in the human spirit. Lucia didn't believe in it. Was just thinking too when Luna gets kidnapped, she asks Alex to save her. Lucia gets taken by Zophar, and says for Hiro to run away. I suppose being stuck on a barren moon might make you a bit introverted :lol:

Angelalex242
Legendary Hero

Post by Angelalex242 »

Technically, she was stuck on nuclear winter earth. The 'Blue Star' is many times the size and mass of Lunar.

And I liked Lucia's voice, but...I may be somewhat biased. 8-)
Don't blame me, Lucia promised me lots of snuggles and cuddles if I would be her PR guy.