Magic Points

For discussion of Lunar: Eternal Blue, the original game for the Sega CD
Nitemares
Saith Pirate
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

Magic Points

Post by Nitemares »

when i replayed lunar eternal blue for the sega cd a couple months ago, i actually thought that the magic points were cool.

it wasn't that big of a pain as some people complained about, when you save, it hardly takes any points at all and it averages out anyways when you go up in levels and defeat enemies, you only go up to level 30 (i think) for your magic to raise them in level.

i think they should have kept it in the playstation version, am i the only one that thinks this?

probably so.

Alunissage
Goddess

Re: Magic Points

Post by Alunissage »

No, you're not. I've always liked the Magic Experience points and having the option of deciding what types of spells to concentrate on. I'm pretty sure other people have liked them too, although they complain about the paying for saves in the US version (which never bothered me).

Kizyr
Keeper of Knowledge (probationary)

Post by Kizyr »

I'm in agreement here. The MEXP system was a great way to customize the kind of spells you wanted to power up. Although it was a bit limited (e.g., there was zero point to levelling up Hiro's wind magic after the haunted mansion), it gave you greater leeway to play the game how you wanted (I always loved levelling up Ronfar's chance magic, since his dice spells were by far my favorites).

There was also the awesome tie-in to Jean's story with how levelling up her dance magic was the only way to defeat Lunn.

Those kind of subtleties were lost in the remake. I do think they added some really neat points to make up for it (crest combinations, extra dungeons, etc.) but I don't see how it could've hurt to retain the MEXP system and ditch the paying-for-saves aspect (which was the only thing people really complained about). KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

Actually, I think JWL noted once that you can just defend repeatedly against Lunn's Chameleon attack and he'll eventually attack, or something like that. Haven't tried it myself.

Kizyr
Keeper of Knowledge (probationary)

Post by Kizyr »

Alunissage wrote:Actually, I think JWL noted once that you can just defend repeatedly against Lunn's Chameleon attack and he'll eventually attack, or something like that. Haven't tried it myself.
I did that and he killed me. Constantly. I think the only way to beat him without building up Jean's dance magic is to just level up high first. KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

liquidpolicenaut
Red Dragon Priest

Post by liquidpolicenaut »

Glad to know I am not alone in saying I actually liked the Magic XP. points system in Lunar:EB. Paying for the saves with the MPs was also never a bother to me and never understood why such a huge deal was made over it...
Visit my Youtube site!!
LiquidPolicenauts YouTube Videos

Shiva Indis
White Dragon Knight

Post by Shiva Indis »

I also missed magic experience in the remake... If there's a PSP Lunar 2 I hope they keep Vanguard Works away from it. I didn't get into their crest thing. (Sadly I don't think there's any help for the cutscenes...)

As for MEXP to save, the one time you can't save because you don't have the resources is one time too many. I got used to it, but in retrospect it just left a bad taste in my mouth.
「まあいいけど。」

ilovemyguitar
Legendary Hero

Post by ilovemyguitar »

I think that if another version of Lunar 2 were to be made I'd want it to have both the MEXP system and the PSX version's expanded crest system. Some new, fresh gameplay stuff would be welcome as well.