White Dragon Protect glitch? [Zophar fight]

For discussion of Lunar: Eternal Blue, the original game for the Sega CD
cj iwakura
Student of Vane
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

White Dragon Protect glitch? [Zophar fight]

Post by cj iwakura »

I use it right before he casts Ultra Vortex. Sometimes it blocks it, most of the time it doesn't.

I've been using Jean as my caster, and she has the Blue & White crests equipped(if that matters).

What gives?

On a related tangent, what does Black Dragon Shield do? Protect from physical harm?

Alunissage
Goddess

Re: White Dragon Protect glitch? [Zophar fight]

Post by Alunissage »

I seem to recall something about some enemies cancelling magic, but I'll let other people answer more definitively.

Black Dragon Grief makes all enemies vanish, except obviously bosses. I'm pretty sure you don't get money or EXP from those battles.

GhaleonOne
Ghost From The Past

Post by GhaleonOne »

I remember that. I don't think White Dragon Protect works against it. I'm not sure that it's a glitch, but probably more likely intentional. I don't remember offhand though, as it's been a few years.
-G1

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

As it happens, there was a thread on this a couple years ago:

http://lunarthreads.com/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=2712

I knew that sounded familiar.

cj iwakura
Student of Vane

Post by cj iwakura »

Well, I tried putting it on Hiro, and it worked without fail each time. Weird.

All the same, he's dead now.

Funny that he's still that difficult all these years later.

Benevolent_Ghaleon
BANNED

Post by Benevolent_Ghaleon »

cj iwakura wrote:Well, I tried putting it on Hiro, and it worked without fail each time. Weird.

All the same, he's dead now.

Funny that he's still that difficult all these years later.
Zophar is the only boss battle that ever sent me to GameFAQs.

swordandshield
Lyton Singer

Post by swordandshield »

I'm not sure why the White Dragon Protect isn't working for you. I don't think it's a glitch but it could be. Maybe Ultra Vortex is only exclusive to going through the protect and hitting you. Zophar is the last boss so it makes sense that he would have some kind of crazy move that ignores defenses but it doesn't make sense why it works sometimes and not all the time. It could be broken down into percentages and it only has a certain percentage of it having an effect. But you would figure that it wouldn't be like that seeing as you got the dragons aid to fight Zophar in the first place, it should block his attacks with 100% probability but I guess that would be too easy.

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

Gameplay mechanic > storyline when it comes to boss fights.

I expect it's like anything else, an effect of the attack that has a certain probability of happening, similar to attacks with status effects.

swordandshield
Lyton Singer

Post by swordandshield »

It wouldn't be very balancing if you could summon the dragon and have it protect you every single time. It would be like using cheat codes so the mechanics are proper to use and it makes sense even if they weren't going to use the battle mechanics during the fight because Zophar has godly power, he could destroy the world so having one of his attacks penetrate through a dragon's barrier isn't so over the top.

It's just a probability of it nullifying an attack, unless there's a certain accessory to use in conjuction with the White Dragon Crest that makes it so it has a chance of blocking more, it's just a roll of the dice.

I personally used Blue Dragon Crest and a Wind Pendant on Hiro I think. He gets in 6-7 hits in one turn and when you battle the Star Dragon it really comes in handy to get in multiple attacks since you fight that battle alone.