Character's ages in lunar

For discussion of Lunar: Eternal Blue, the original game for the Sega CD
phyco126
Dragonmaster
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

Post by phyco126 »

Kizyr wrote:....and refers to Lucia's hat as a "red roll of bread she wears on her head". KF
Man, I always knew there was something wrong with that girl. Has anyone tried talking to her about getting help? They have these wonderful new medications out there today that really help a lot with little side effects.*

*Warning, these new medications do have a single side effect of trusting a young horny male with a tattoo on his face*

- "Sometimes life smiles when it kicks you down. The trick is to smile back."

Benevolent_Ghaleon
BANNED

Post by Benevolent_Ghaleon »

phyco126 wrote:
Kizyr wrote:....and refers to Lucia's hat as a "red roll of bread she wears on her head". KF
Man, I always knew there was something wrong with that girl. Has anyone tried talking to her about getting help? They have these wonderful new medications out there today that really help a lot with little side effects.*

*Warning, these new medications do have a single side effect of trusting a young horny male with a tattoo on his face*
Hiro IS rather trustworthy, though. in Lucia's initial ignorance, who knows what all immoral things he could've done without her being aware of it as unacceptable?

Enigma
Nanza Bandit

Post by Enigma »

Kizyr wrote:
Enigma wrote:I've never seen, read or heard anything about Lunar in Japanese before but I clearly remember something about 100 years in the English version. I'm not sure where but I certainly remember it.
...can you be more specific? 100 years for what? Someone's age?
Sorry, that's a typo. It's supposed to say 100 years and I'm refering to the time gap between the games Lunar: SSSC and Lunar: EBC.

DezoPenguin
Red Dragon Priest

Post by DezoPenguin »

It all comes down to the Official Rules of Japanese-Made RPGs. Evil comes back every 1000 years (set your calendars!), girls with amnesia always try to marry the prince but fail, fifteen is the perfect age to have the athleticism, mental toughness, and expert swordsmanship training to save the world, and anyone over thirty is a hopeless fogey a half-step from dropping dead of old age.

(Though come to think of it, it tends to apply to anime, too. Lina Inverse? The girls of Bubblegum Crisis?)

Y'know, that's got to be based on some kind of market demographic studies. There's no way that game companies can keep cranking out games starring barely pubescent heroes without some data indicating that that's who's buying the games. I know that when I actually was that age, I liked when heroes of various media were my own age so that I could better identify with them.

Benevolent_Ghaleon
BANNED

Post by Benevolent_Ghaleon »

so do you think this'll change as it becomes common knowledge that the buyers are older? 25ish seems good to me.

ilovemyguitar
Legendary Hero

Post by ilovemyguitar »

Are the people buying it actually older, though? I mean, sure, we're getting older, but I see plenty of teenagers on here and on GameFAQs. Most Lunar fans haven't played the Sega CD originals, and thanks to Legend and Dragon Song, some of them haven't even played the Playstation remakes.

DezoPenguin
Red Dragon Priest

Post by DezoPenguin »

Plus, remember that since we're talking JRPGs, the actual relevant demographic data is what's applicable to Japan, so what we see here in American forums isn't necessarily what's driving Japanese manufacturers.

That being said, there are still an awful lot of teens playing video games. The difference is that now the original wave of gamers have grown up to be adults, so there are people my age who played video games as kids and still play them now (as opposed to the past--very few gamers start gaming at 35). That skews the demographics somewhat, but there are still many teens playing and games will still need to be marketed to the teenage dollar. I just wish there were more games aimed at my generation as well from a plot-type standpoint.