Transformation
77%

Total votes: 13

Erroneous
Legendary Hero
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

Ghaleon's Eye

Post by Erroneous »

So was it ever proven that the purple eye was either caused by decomposition from being dead or the remnants of a transformation in SSS?

GhaleonOne
Ghost From The Past

Post by GhaleonOne »

Kiz may be able to prove otherwise with novels or manga translations, but until then, there's no real proof either way. It's always been an interesting discussion though.
-G1

Kizyr
Keeper of Knowledge (probationary)

Post by Kizyr »

No evidence in either, I'm afraid...

I think it's a result of the TSS transformation, but I'll elaborate later when I have more time. KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

ilovemyguitar
Legendary Hero

Post by ilovemyguitar »

My guess is that they did it because it looks cool. Because yeah, it does.

phyco126
Dragonmaster

Post by phyco126 »

We are the borg, resistance is futile....

That's what it reminds me of. :P I always thought it was due to decompassision, though that wouldn't make much sense as the rest of his body seems to be, well pieced together.

- "Sometimes life smiles when it kicks you down. The trick is to smile back."

Erroneous
Legendary Hero

Post by Erroneous »

phyco126 wrote: though that wouldn't make much sense as the rest of his body seems to be, well pieced together.
True, however most of his body was covered neck high in armor and they didn't show any part of him skinwise than that.

phyco126
Dragonmaster

Post by phyco126 »

Insydius wrote:
phyco126 wrote: though that wouldn't make much sense as the rest of his body seems to be, well pieced together.
True, however most of his body was covered neck high in armor and they didn't show any part of him skinwise than that.
True, but look at his face. No one can be preserved that well in death after 1000 years (that's taking into the fact he got a royal beat down in TSS/SSSC/L: L and there doesn't seem to be any preservative measures in the Lunar World for corpses.)

DevNall
Blue Dragon Ninja

Post by DevNall »

Given some of Ghaleon's dialogue, I might be inclined to suspect that his body WAS in worse shape, and had been undergoing restoration. However, that process wasn't quite done yet (possibly an intentional choice of Zophar's).

Erroneous
Legendary Hero

Post by Erroneous »

phyco126 wrote:and there doesn't seem to be any preservative measures in the Lunar World for corpses.)
No, but he was the last Elf, and Nall the White Dragon lived from that time to this time preservability. Including the previous White Dragon states their own kind lives formidably. Thus there's no telling if the Elven race's normal living duration. Other that the majority of them were wiped out.

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

Uh? He was a Mazoku (Vile Tribe). There were lots of them, and they were very long-lived. That's established pretty clearly in the manga, and probably indirectly in the games. Even Childhood's End, written before the remakes, has a reference to Phacia being alive during Hiro's lifetime. Ghaleon may have been the last one who was a Vane native, but he wasn't the last of his kind. According to the Vheen manga he's roughly 150 at the time of SSS's events, and he sure didn't die of old age. His race's decline was from 1) low birthrate and 2) losing a war with the humans. They may also have had other unusual weaknesses (since they were partly made of magic itself); there's no reason given at all for the deaths of Ghaleon's parents and brother.

phyco126
Dragonmaster

Post by phyco126 »

An Elf... yeah, I wish that was true. As a matter of fact, I used to think he really was an Elf until sometime while I was here someone made it clear that he was from the Vile Tribe.

Either way, how about this. The magic that brought Ghaleon back wasn't powerful enough to recall his full body, so Zophar had to go all borg/vader on the Big G's butt.

GhaleonOne
Ghost From The Past

Post by GhaleonOne »

BTW, it's certainly interesting that Ghaleon's Mazoku/Vile Tribe blood wasn't mentioned in the actual games. Only in the manga (and novels? Kiz?). BTW, does anyone remember what Miria said in EB (not EBC) before the fight with Ghaleon in Vane? It was removed from EBC since the fight was on the rooftop and you couldn't leave. In EB, you gathered the troops from around Vane before the big battle with Ghaleon. During that time if you talked to Miria enough, she said something about "You could sense a sadness in Ghaleon's writings before he died." and foreshadowed his turn on Zophar. Borgan even said something, but Miria was the main one. Made me always wonder if Ghaleon actually died in TSS, or if he maybe was exiled and powerless, but left alive. I would doubt it, as he mutated into that demonic thing at the end of TSS, but there's no definitive "death".
-G1

Silver Phoenix
Bromide Hunter

Post by Silver Phoenix »

I think TSS did a better job of allowing the audience to see that Ghaleon was indeed one of the Vile Tribe when he transformed at the end. Zophar granted Ghaleon a reprieve from death so we can't really know if Zophar saved Ghaleon right as Alex slew him or if Ghaleon was dead and Zophar resurrected him during the transition of time. I believe the scaling on Ghaleon's face is in fact caused by the remnants of his transformation in TSS and it's pretty obvious that was the intended purpose. Basically you are seeing Ghaleon with the scars of his past which haunt him. I wish more rpgs had such a great villain/ally of impact.

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

His speech in EB suggests that he was revived... "and yet I live again". His transformation in the TSS final battle does echo the other transformations of Vile Tribe enemies into monsters. Though actually I wonder if that was originally intended to go along with the backstory about the demigod that the Four Heroes fought (mentioned in Damon's Tower and the notes from the TSS guide that Shiva Indis summarized), like possession.

phyco126
Dragonmaster

Post by phyco126 »

Having never played much of EB, I have to say I'm almost certain that in EBC it says he was resurrected by Zophar.

Silver Phoenix
Bromide Hunter

Post by Silver Phoenix »

Well it's obvious that Zophar resurrected him, we're discerning whether or not Ghaleon was completely dead when he states that he was reprieved from death. I guess it's safe to assume rigamortis had set in before Zophar used an Angel's Tear. :P

Bravo 29
Red Dragon Priest

Post by Bravo 29 »

Indeed, at the very least. When you go back to the Mystic Ruins after Pentagulia and talk to the fairies, Lemina says such a resurrection violated the laws of nature, something Althena would never do. Ghaleon himself said he was called back from the Netherworld, which suggests he was completely dead, and for a long time, no less.

And I'm quite sure his face is the result of his transformation at the end of TSS. And is it any wonder he was rarely seen, even by the Cult itself. I remember at least one Cult member wanted Ghaleon expelled for his heinous past. And with a face like that, how could anyone honestly call him a hero, at least until the very end when he redeemed himself.

YoungDyne
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by YoungDyne »

Alunissage wrote: Even Childhood's End, written before the remakes, has a reference to Phacia being alive during Hiro's lifetime.
I know this topic is about Ghaleon's eye...but this part confused me. Are you referring to the english PS1 remakes? I thought only Xenobia was in TSS?

Plus! This just popped into my head...was Ghaleon ever called a dragonmaster in the original or was that something exclusive to the remakes? I never understood why the creators decided to call him a dragonmaster, even if he wasn't. I sometimes wonder if it's not something he came up with himself, and was surprised it never showed him getting all nostalgic over the term. I certainly would have, if I carried the same title my old friend once had!

How about this for a theory on the vile tribe; Zophar is the manifestation of humanity's evil deeds or thoughts right? Well, after he was destroyed with the blue star Althena took her people to LUNAR. Some of those people hated Althena for destroying the blue star, their home and their families...even if everyone were monsters. "The goddess should have been able to heal them. She should have protected us..." With this hatred, the people began to turn into monsters themselves, mini manifestations of Zophar. Suddenly, BAM! You've got the Vile Tribe on your hands. This would explain Zophar's eventual rebirth, and that whole magic emperor thing (the one prior to Ghaleon) wouldn't it?

Err, back on topic...isn't Ghaleon's eye neat? xD

Silver Phoenix
Bromide Hunter

Post by Silver Phoenix »

I think Ghaleon was only referred to as a Dragonmaster in Eternal Blue, specifically the fake Althena's Dragonmaster.

YoungDyne
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by YoungDyne »

Ahh, by "original" I mean the original EB. I'm pretty sure it says it in EBC unless I saw a screenshot and got confused from subconscious memory...