23%
Transformation
77%

Total votes: 13

Silver Phoenix
Bromide Hunter
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

Post by Silver Phoenix »

I figured that's what you meant and he was referred to as a Dragonmaster in the Sega CD version of Eternal Blue.

phyco126
Dragonmaster

Post by phyco126 »

He was called a Dragonmaster in EBC as well.

- "Sometimes life smiles when it kicks you down. The trick is to smile back."

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

YoungDyne wrote:
Alunissage wrote: Even Childhood's End, written before the remakes, has a reference to Phacia being alive during Hiro's lifetime.
I know this topic is about Ghaleon's eye...but this part confused me. Are you referring to the english PS1 remakes? I thought only Xenobia was in TSS?
I'm confused by your confusion. Childhood's End is a manga, with story by Kei Shigema (scenario writer for Lunar) and artwork by Akari Funato (who later wrote and drew the Vheen manga and contributed ideas to key SSS scenes, among other things). Childhood's End was the first Lunar manga and was published before the (Japanese) remakes were released. Phacia is an off-screen character in that manga, clearly identified by name and as Xenobia's sister; this is her first appearance in any of the Lunar materials. Kizyr's translation of the manga is on the main site, if you're curious about it.
Plus! This just popped into my head...was Ghaleon ever called a dragonmaster in the original or was that something exclusive to the remakes? I never understood why the creators decided to call him a dragonmaster, even if he wasn't. I sometimes wonder if it's not something he came up with himself, and was surprised it never showed him getting all nostalgic over the term. I certainly would have, if I carried the same title my old friend once had!
My recollection is that he didn't like being called that. I haven't found a screenshot supporting that; I do see that in EBC Leo calls him Dragonmaster Ghaleon when they arrive in Pentagulia (in EB Leo just calls him Master Ghaleon in the same scene), and Lucia refers to the office of Dragonmaster as the greatest defender of Althena, so evidently she knew of the role ahead of time -- not that anyone asked, but an interesting thing to note, since the first dragonmaster was the one to help Althena with the colonization of Lunar. Of course, there's nothing to say that Althena and Lucia weren't in touch at that time; we don't know when Lucia went into the crystal.

Aha, found the screen I wanted: http://lunar-net.com/ebc/screens/5/EBC2654.JPG
How about this for a theory on the vile tribe; Zophar is the manifestation of humanity's evil deeds or thoughts right? Well, after he was destroyed with the blue star Althena took her people to LUNAR. Some of those people hated Althena for destroying the blue star, their home and their families...even if everyone were monsters. "The goddess should have been able to heal them. She should have protected us..." With this hatred, the people began to turn into monsters themselves, mini manifestations of Zophar. Suddenly, BAM! You've got the Vile Tribe on your hands. This would explain Zophar's eventual rebirth, and that whole magic emperor thing (the one prior to Ghaleon) wouldn't it?
Except that the Vile Tribe is genetically different from humans, being composed in part of magic made flesh. In Dragon Song they're experimenting with "black magic", although I don't know/remember if there's any cause/effect relationship between the two -- that is, whether the magic experimentation caused them to become different from humans in that way or if their different makeup made them more likely to do the magic experimentation. I think the latter is more probable; my back-burner theory for a while has been that they're originally halfbreeds descended from other members of Althena's race, like Zeus's assorted offspring in Greek mythology. But that's not substantiated anywhere; it's strictly my own speculation (a related speculation might be that dragons were also originally members of her race who volunteered to take new shapes and come along to be guardians; note that they are also said to be magic made flesh and are long-lived, like the Mazoku).

Kizyr
Keeper of Knowledge (probationary)

Post by Kizyr »

Side note, Ghaleon was referred to as a Dragonmaster in the original Eternal Blue as well. The fake Althena and a few townsfolk referred to him as a Dragonmaster.

The title may have been fitting, too. He was the one who apparently controlled the seals over the four dragons. KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

Silver Phoenix
Bromide Hunter

Post by Silver Phoenix »

Didn't you notice my post Kizyr? :P

Phyco, you just restated what was already said when mentioning he was also called a Dragonmaster in EBC. There isn't an indication in either game where he wasn't referred to as the Dragonmaster-bater.

The whole Dragonmaster idea just wasn't explained well in Eternal Blue as neither Ghaleon nor Hiro fit the role like Alex did. I mean to say that the aspects of the equipment and the trials just weren't those you'd expect as in the first game.

Erroneous
Legendary Hero

Post by Erroneous »

Hey gaining the Dragon's power by trust or unwillingly wasn't specified in the job requirements.

ilovemyguitar
Legendary Hero

Post by ilovemyguitar »

The way I took it, Ghaleon wasn't actually a Dragonmaster in EB/EBC, but Zophar wanted him to be referred to as one in order to keep up the sham in Pentagulia. The true role of the Dragonmaster, if I remember correctly, is to protect Althena, so there could no longer be a true Dragonmaster after Althena stepped down as a goddess. Zophar wanted a false Althena in place for the people to worship and to keep Lucia in the dark until he was ready for her to find out the truth about Althena's decision, so he needed a false Dragonmaster as part of her entourage to make it believable.

Werefrog
Dragonmaster

Post by Werefrog »

(There are definitely spoilers here...)

I definitely agree that part of Ghaleon being called Dragonmaster was to provide some legitimacy. More than that though (on the literary side of things), it provided some irony. As Kizyr stated, he was in control of dragons. So technically he was a dragonmaster. But he was not the Dragonmaster in the way Alex and Dyne were. I think that's what bothered Ghaleon about being called Dragonmaster. It was in part true, but he realized that he wasn't (at least then) the hero that the name suggested.

Edit: Oh wait... in EBC there was a scene of Ghaleon sealing the dragons' powers. That would definitely show mastery over dragons.

Also, I don't think his eye is the product of decomposition since it's just an isolated part. Why don't we add the third option that it is some effect of Zophar resurrection magic?

Jenner
Dragonmaster

Re: Ghaleon's Eye

Post by Jenner »

Ghaleon didn't crave brains enough to be undead.
The Infamous Jenner!
Maker of Lists.
RIP Coley...
still adore you Kiz.

Ghaleon777
Lostest Boy

Post by Ghaleon777 »

I think its just a scar from the battle with Alex and company in the previous game.

Shinto-Cetra
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Shinto-Cetra »

Ghaleon777 wrote: Sun Aug 20, 2023 11:25 pm I think its just a scar from the battle with Alex and company in the previous game.
I second this. Decomposition is also plausible, but I have no idea why transformation would scar him. His scar in EB (any version) doesn't look like his TSS demon form. The colors and textures are different (cracked purple skin vs blue and insect-like (possibly an exoskeleton?)) Maybe if L2 Ghaleon had a blue mandible sticking out near his mouth I might buy that theory, though that would severely lower his fabulousness stat...