Luna's Holo (spoilers)

For discussion of Lunar: Eternal Blue, the original game for the Sega CD
NallOne
Black Dragon Wizard
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

Re: Luna's Holo (spoilers)

Post by NallOne »

I'm a little confused by your post. It seems that you are suggesting that the demonic parents were removed from SSS because of the religious context (what religious context?) and how that is treated in America. That was removed in Japan too, you know. And Japan hardly ever censors religious things in video games (or anime ... or anything for that matter). I really doubt any of the things removed in the remakes had to do with religion. It was just a different vision of the events. I'm sure they had their reasons even if we disagree with them.

I do hope that the PSP Remake remains true more so to TSS than SSS. Perhaps an updated TSS might actually put TSS/SSS above EB on my list ... though that is doubtful!
- Mike

Werefrog
Dragonmaster

Post by Werefrog »

I have a feeling that you and I have very different conceptions of what a proper translation/localization is.

swordandshield
Lyton Singer

Post by swordandshield »

It might not be due to religion but it certainly seems like it in some ways. I think since Working Designs was stationed in the US and Game Arts in japan they had to change some parts of SSSC to better suit legal issues over in the states.

The same things that were changed in the US remakes weren't changed in japan because japan doesn't have the same legal laws and rights that the US has. That's why they don't censor out things in JRPGs that ultimately get censored over seas. The two versions are different because of regional barriers which is why I like to import most things.

As far as translation and localization goes, but what did Working Designs really do? I thank them for making remakes but instead of just simply changing text to make it correct, they only made it understandable because due to all the other changes it altered the course of the story from the original roots that the SegaCD versions had so that it isn't actually the same game anymore.

The game is still great but they shouldn't have overlooked so many flaws before releasing it and have it translated the proper way.

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

Since you like to import most games, I strongly advise you import the Japanese versions of the two PlayStation games, Silver Star Story and Lunar 2 Eternal Blue, so you can see for yourself that Working Designs did not create the remakes and did not make the changes you think they did. The differences between the SegaCD games and the PlayStation games (which were also released in Japan on Saturn and PC) are entirely the doing of the Japanese developers. The only changes I can recall WD making to SSSC, besides the translation itself, of course, are that they put in a little of TSS's music, changed the locations and triggers of the bromides, and added a hidden minigame. They didn't even do any of those for EBC.

Bluntly, almost everything you've said on this topic is wrong, and it's more than a bit insulting that you think WE don't get it.

swordandshield
Lyton Singer

Post by swordandshield »

I don't think you have no knowledge on it, sorry that I caused you to come up with that conclusion. Why would I think that? I don't recall trying to sound conceited or indignant, you have your opinions and I respect them.

I already covered your question but I'll explain it a little better, I'm basically saying that WD made it so the two versions EB and SSS lack originality and have interoperability with Game Arts. Note the translation was altered by WD and changes to the story were by them while they ignored the original developement of it from Game Arts.

WD had no exlusive content, they only changed the original content. So, what is the point in waiting for them to localize the copy of the games when that copy wasn't as grand? Or rather when they were still around.

ilovemyguitar
Legendary Hero

Post by ilovemyguitar »

Wow.

Swordandsheild, it needs to be said that one of the mods on this site, Kizyr, is very familiar with the Japanese language. He's played through the original Japanese versions of all the Lunar games (including "Lunar: Walking School" and "Magic School Lunar!", which were never even released in any language other than Japanese), and he's drawn up extensive lists of what was changed from the Japanese versions to the English versions. We know everything that Working Designs changed, and it wasn't nearly as much as you seem to think it was. The only even slightly religious-themed change in any of the games is the pentagram shapes on the Japanese teleport pads being changed to Star Trek-like symbols. Beyond that, and characters' names being different in the two languages, it's pretty much all minor dialogue changes.

You should probably give these a read:
TSS: http://lunar-net.com/tss/tss_diff.php
EB: http://lunar-net.com/eb/eb_diff.php
SSSC: http://lunar-net.com/sssc/sss_diff.php
EBC: http://lunar-net.com/ebc/ebc_diff.php

Kizyr
Keeper of Knowledge (probationary)

Post by Kizyr »

swordandshield wrote:I don't think you have no knowledge on it, sorry that I caused you to come up with that conclusion. Why would I think that? I don't recall trying to sound conceited or indignant, you have your opinions and I respect them.

I already covered your question but I'll explain it a little better, I'm basically saying that WD made it so the two versions EB and SSS lack originality and have interoperability with Game Arts. Note the translation was altered by WD and changes to the story were by them while they ignored the original developement of it from Game Arts.

WD had no exlusive content, they only changed the original content. So, what is the point in waiting for them to localize the copy of the games when that copy wasn't as grand? Or rather when they were still around.
Pretty much everything you've mentioned here is incorrect. The only thing that was changed because of anything remotely religious were the pentagram-starfleet symbol changes in the Sega CD versions. Otherwise, it was nothing.

I have about 10+ pages of details going through all the changes that you're free to browse, that ilovemyguitar just posted. Those definitively prove my point. If you can actually refute the information on those pages, then feel free to try. KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

Temzin
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Temzin »

There's really no way a single bit of Kizyr's excellent information can be refuted unless "having a basis in reality" is no longer the modus operandi of this thread.
aka Maou

Kizyr
Keeper of Knowledge (probationary)

Post by Kizyr »

Temzin wrote:There's really no way a single bit of Kizyr's excellent information can be refuted unless "having a basis in reality" is no longer the modus operandi of this thread.
To be fair, you have corrected me before on a few mistakes I made (thanks for those, by the way). I'm willing to revise my work, but it depends on whether or not the person correcting me is, you know, correct. KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

Temzin
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Temzin »

Anytime! But you're the real hero here with your excellent translation docs...Lunar-Net's so lucky to have them. And heh, "revise" isn't the same as "giving the time of day to paranoid imaginings." Maybe certain Lunar fans are just jealous of the insane rumors surrounding Final Fantasy (talk to the 'general' to revive Aerith and get the secret ending!) and wanted some of their own...
aka Maou