Any tips to beating Borgan?

For discussion of Lunar: Eternal Blue, the original game for the Sega CD
Hirohiigo Togashi
Red Dragon Priest
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

Any tips to beating Borgan?

Post by Hirohiigo Togashi »

This guy is driving me insane. I have Earth Cruxes slapped on everyone, but it doesn't help at all against Gravity Bomb. My levels are:

Hiro lvl 33
Ronfar lvl 30
Jean lvl 30 (or 31, can't remember)
Lemina lvl 29

Every time I fight him, his first attack is Gravity Bomb, which he manages to pull off before Jean is able to cast White Dragon Protect, which kills Lemina and leaves Ronfar open to a kill from his attack orb in the same turn.

Aaron
Blue Dragon Ninja

Post by Aaron »

do some major power lvl'ing...thats really about it...if your too slow to cast something then...try the turn before but it probably wont work...pwr lvl...pwr. lvl.

GhaleonOne
Ghost From The Past

Post by GhaleonOne »

You should be able to beat him at those levels though. Not that it'll be super easy, but it should be possible. If you do go back and level up, do it for money and buy all the best equipment back in Neo-Vane or Zaback. In addition to the leveling, it'll help quite a bit. But in terms of strategy... For one, Poe Sword the hell out of him obviously. But one of the most helpful things is to use that Magic Barrier or whatever it is that Lemina has. It's been a long while since I've played him, but I think I remember bunching a bunch of characters together around her, and having her cast that. It'll keep Borgan's big magic from being as bad.

White Dragon Protect is also your friend. Have Jean equip it, as she's generally the fastest of the party. You can also get good damage with Blue Dragon Vigor on someone like Jean.
-G1

LuciaOne
Goddess

Post by LuciaOne »

Yeah, if Jean for some reason isn't fast enough to cast White Dragon Protect, equip her with a Shiro Tail to make her attack speed faster.
Also, don't be scared to equip Hiro and Ronfar with Angel Rings- this is the hardest battle in Lunar EB, after all. Also give ppl Angel Tears for rezzing.
I found my old siggie! MUAH HAHAHAHAHA!!!
~~~
Sir Kizyr: ::high-pitched voice:: Ohh lookit me, I'm a cute li'l elf!
MiaAusa: Oh wait! NO I GET IT.
MiaAusa: It's him finally fessing up the the fact that HE IS a cut li'l elf. :d
MiaAusa: Hey, chance" NO I GET IT" to "NOW I GET IT"
MiaAusa: change**
MiaAusa: I'm mad with grammar today
MiaAusa: bad**

I'm mad with grammar too.
~~~
Sir Kizyr: Here's a lovely song about my favorite food
Sir Kizyr: Lima, lento, soy, and pinto ~ Navy, northern, and garbanzo! ~ Kidneys and frijoles negros
Sir Kizyr: I love beans, I love beans, woo woo woo! ~ How 'bout you? ~ High in fiber ~ Low in fat ~ Hey, I betcha didn't know that
Sir Kizyr: When I eat beans, I sit in my little cloud, I don't know why ~ maybe 'cause I'm cuttin' muffins ~~ Because....
Sir Kizyr: I love beans! Hey hey hey! ~ I love beans everyday! ~ Beans are an excellent source of protein ~ I love beans!
Sir Kizyr: Diggydoo!
~~~

Kizyr
Keeper of Knowledge (probationary)

Post by Kizyr »

Yeah at those levels it should be all right.

In retrospect, it might not be Earth Cruxes, but Plasma Rings that you should equip (sorry, I know I said Earth Cruxes somewhere before, my mistake). Those should reduce the damage.

Besides that, Lemina ends up being incredibly useful. Position all your party members towards the bottom of the screen, but arranged roughly in a circle around Lemina at the center. The circle is so that she can cast Magic Barrier and have it encircle everybody (which greatly reduces damage), and positioning them at the bottom is so that one of Borgan's orbs can't knock someone out of the circle. You also might want to give Lemina a Chiro Tail so that she has higher agility and will act before Borgan does.

Also, having Ronfar's magic up to about the 20s (or whenever he gets the mid-range group healing spell that costs 12MP) is a necessity.

Finally, as for in-battle tactics, have Lemina cast Magic Barrier whenever Borgan raises his hands and is about to cast Gravity Bomb. Otherwise, have her power up Hiro and Jean's attacks, and have both of them just use magic (Poe Sword and Comet Tail, or Hadoken if you're worried about MP usage). Ronfar will be healing almost every turn as well. Concentrate on the frontmost orb (the one that does solo attacks) first, then concentrate on the lower one, then finally the back one that casts the magic shield, before hitting Borgan. KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

ilovemyguitar
Legendary Hero

Post by ilovemyguitar »

Kizyr wrote: Concentrate on the frontmost orb (the one that does solo attacks) first, then concentrate on the lower one, then finally the back one that casts the magic shield, before hitting Borgan. KF

I always had more luck taking out the magic shield orb first, because it protects the other orbs as well.

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

(I feel silly answering this days after everyone else, but I haven't been around much lately...)

I concur with the other comments, just wanted to add that Ronfar's Light Litany is really the way to go for him... I came very close to beating Borgan with just Ronfar at the end because he was getting something like half his total HP from Borgan with each one of those (since he was the only one alive). Unfortunately, I ran out of MP -- I'd had just him and Lemina alive and gave my last silver light to her and starlight to him and then she got killed. :P

If Lemina is getting smacked down at the beginning of the battle every time, you might give her the Angel Ring so you don't have to waste a round reviving her, and then use the Magic Shield strategy. Make sure Jean and Hiro only do magic attacks in that case, so they don't move out of range doing a physical attack -- so no Blue Dragon Vigor for Jean in that case. Hopefully if you have Lemina doing Magic Shield every other round (it takes two hits to be totally dissipated) you won't need Jean doing White Dragon Protect, but you may still need Jean to do healing. Does the Blue Dragon Crest up agility? If so, you might want to equip it on Jean even if you don't actually use the spell.

Dragonmaster Lou
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Dragonmaster Lou »

Here it is straight from my old Lunar:EB FAQ. It's also the technique I pretty much used.

Question:
How the heck do I beat Borgan?
Answer (courtesy of Nicholas Pappas):
First Round:
Ok. First thing is first. When Borgan raises his arms he is
going to cast Gravity Bomb. This is your queue to cast White
Dragon Protect with Hiro -- this will protect the party from
that attack.

Cast Blue Dragon Vigor with Jean. Cast Preist Litany with
Ronfar (or whichever gives health back after each round) and
have Lemina use a magic attack on the Left Hand Ball. Note:
Some may say leave this ball alone. It hurts you... I don't
see why you would want to keep it around!

Second Round:
Have Jean go balistic on the Left Handed Ball. With any luck
she will kill it on this turn. If not, the thing will be dead
by the end of the third round.

Have Ronfar heal (whatever you feal is needed) and have Lemina
attack again... the Rear Ball.

Have Hiro attack the Rear Ball too. You can have him attack
the Left, but if Jean kills it Hiro will attack Borgan himself
(and Borgan will heal the next round... so it is wasted). If
you need to cast WDP, do that instead!

Remaining Rounds:
Cast BDV with Jean as often as possible. You can use a
Starlight or two with her, if you really want her to kick butt!
Have her get rid of the Left Handed Ball First, then have her
go after the Rear Ball.

Lemina... At this point I used Lemina as a Starlight user. If
Hiro drops below 99 MP have Lemina use a StarLight on him
IMMEDIATELY! If Borgan pulls a Gravity Bomb when you are under
99 MP, your history. Have her attack whenever possible.

Ronfar... Keep on healing. He can't attack very well, so just
keep him healing everyone else!

Have Hiro attack with Poe Sword as often as possible. Starting
with the Rear Ball and then going to Borgan. If you need to
cast WDP, do it... Keeping everyone alive is more important
then hurting Borgan just a little more this round!

Note: Leave the Right Hand Ball alone. This is a magic
shield -- does nothing to you directly. It does slow down how
quickly you can kill Borgan, but the time you spend on killing
it is not worth the added convienence!

One of the most important point (IMO) is keeping Hiro above 99
MP. Do the math EVERY round... If he is going to drop below
99 have someone use a Silver Light or a Starlight on him, just
keep him above 99!

Once the Left and Rear Balls are dead, start in on Borgan.
Have Jean go crazy on him and attack with Hiro and Lemina
whenever you can. Once you get a pattern down you should have
much less trouble killing him!
"Guts can turn a 30% chance into a 100% chance!" - Taiga Kohtarou
Personal home page: http://www.techhouse.org/~lou
Lunar page: http://www.techhouse.org/~lou/lunar/
AMV page: http://www.tealstudios.com

Jenner
Dragonmaster

Post by Jenner »

Jenner beat borgan at aslightly lower levels then that, Jenner is cheap.

Just like Kizyr said I bunched at the bottom and I magic circled with Lemina. I had Jean's AGL buffed up to high hell so she went first. I cast the regen spell and dropped the magic circle round 1. Hiro poe swords, jean just uses WDPs and silver lights, and picks off orbs with Lemina while Hiro and Leo gang bang Borgan.

WDP before every big attack, keep Jeans MP up and blap, dead borgan.
The Infamous Jenner!
Maker of Lists.
RIP Coley...
still adore you Kiz.

GhaleonOne
Ghost From The Past

Post by GhaleonOne »

while Hiro and Leo gang bang Borgan.
There's one big problem with that. Leo isn't with you when you fight Borgan. :P
-G1

wildthehero
Lostest Boy

Post by wildthehero »

This isnt really a suggestion to help, but I once saw a show on TechTV rating the hardest bosses in video games, and Borgan from EB was number 1 if I'm not mistaken.
Who says you cant have your cake and eat it too!?!

Jenner
Dragonmaster

Post by Jenner »

GhaleonOne wrote:
It was my strategy for EVERY boss fight. To have everyone cluster and then gangbang, so it's hard to remember if I had Leo or not. If I didn't I'd just gangbang with Hiro.
The Infamous Jenner!
Maker of Lists.
RIP Coley...
still adore you Kiz.

Benevolent_Ghaleon
BANNED

Post by Benevolent_Ghaleon »

GhaleonOne wrote:
I figured the big problem would be the GANG BANG. Is this another phrase, like the one Rimmie had in his sig, that everyone is also oblivious to?

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

More that this is Jenner, which new members are oblivious to. And vice versa. :P

You're an odd one to complain about other people's turns of phrase, given your propensity to ... how to put this neutrally ... select wording with an apparent intent to provoke reaction.

Benevolent_Ghaleon
BANNED

Post by Benevolent_Ghaleon »

Alunissage wrote:More that this is Jenner, which new members are oblivious to. And vice versa. :P

You're an odd one to complain about other people's turns of phrase, given your propensity to ... how to put this neutrally ... select wording with an apparent intent to provoke reaction.
I was humored and pointed it out. It wasn't intended as a complaint. I'd also say that it is inherent in posting that you'd like a reaction.