The "other" presidential joke

For discussion of Lunar: The Silver Star, the original game for the Sega CD
Shinto-Cetra
Black Dragon Wizard
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

The "other" presidential joke

Post by Shinto-Cetra »

The Bill Clinton joke from L2 gets so much attention, but this one from L1 deserves to be noticed too...
Screen Shot 2018-06-06 at 2.14.39 PM.png
Screen Shot 2018-06-06 at 2.14.39 PM.png (959.64 KiB) Viewed 25149 times
Screen Shot 2018-06-06 at 2.14.49 PM.png
Screen Shot 2018-06-06 at 2.14.49 PM.png (927.72 KiB) Viewed 25149 times
Granted, Perot never won the presidency like Clinton, but at he least made it to the debates. Lolol Nall.

Kizyr
Keeper of Knowledge (probationary)

Re: The "other" presidential joke

Post by Kizyr »

I remember this (man the dated references really... stick out poorly...), but why's it mixed case? Is this a mod? KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

Shinto-Cetra
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Shinto-Cetra »

Kizyr wrote:I remember this (man the dated references really... stick out poorly...), but why's it mixed case? Is this a mod? KF
It's a mod, yes. The Unworked Designs hack, which despite the name, keeps the translation intact, just uncensored a few things (pentagrams, End FMV Luna/Boss form Xenobia's nudity etc) removes the increased difficulty, and makes the font mixed case. I actually enjoy old references like this lol.

Kizyr
Keeper of Knowledge (probationary)

Post by Kizyr »

Huh, interesting. I thought that the whole deal behind that mod was to get rid of the WD translation...

I think most of the old references I'm so-so on. The only ones I really don't like are the ones that replaced actual content in the original (like the "killing Barney made easy" one that replaced some references to the earliest Dragonmasters, in EB). KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

Maus
Red Dragon Priest

Post by Maus »

I wouldn't have gotten the joke back then and I sure as heck don't get it now, but it is pretty neat that they put it there :P

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

Shinto-Cetra wrote:
Kizyr wrote:I remember this (man the dated references really... stick out poorly...), but why's it mixed case? Is this a mod? KF
It's a mod, yes. The Unworked Designs hack, which despite the name, keeps the translation intact, just uncensored a few things (pentagrams, End FMV Luna/Boss form Xenobia's nudity etc) removes the increased difficulty, and makes the font mixed case. I actually enjoy old references like this lol.
Wow, that sounds...pointless. There are various things I'd fix in a hack of TSS, but none of those items are among them. (Typos, yes. Text that is never used. Text that is probably supposed to change after an event because there are two identical instances of the same lines in the game file. But graphics? Why bother? It's fine without pentagrams and nudity and lower-case letters. And probably improved with difficulty.)

Shinto-Cetra
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Shinto-Cetra »

Alunissage wrote:
Shinto-Cetra wrote:
Wow, that sounds...pointless. There are various things I'd fix in a hack of TSS, but none of those items are among them. (Typos, yes. Text that is never used. Text that is probably supposed to change after an event because there are two identical instances of the same lines in the game file. But graphics? Why bother? It's fine without pentagrams and nudity and lower-case letters. And probably improved with difficulty.)
It's not pointless to me. I find censoring Pentagrams offensive to Pagans and other groups, plus I don't agree with censorship of nudity in and of itself. As for caps lock vs. mixed case, I rarely see anyone type EVERYTHING IN ALL CAPS in reality, or RPGs of the time.