Small thing I noticed with the pre-release Lunar TSS shots

For discussion of Lunar: The Silver Star, the original game for the Sega CD
Alunissage
Goddess
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

Re: Small thing I noticed with the pre-release Lunar TSS shots

Post by Alunissage »

Crud, I forgot, though I did finally manage to show Kizyr the scans when we met up at MAGfest. Which, uh, was in January.

Hm, looks like brit's pics got lost to a policy change. Well, I can probably guess what those were and replace them.

IIRC the file attachment size limit is 256K. Here are a couple of smallish pics I clipped from the scans.
Attachments
Nash head with blond sprite.jpg
Nash head with blond sprite.jpg (45.3 KiB) Viewed 21408 times
Nash blond sprites.jpg
Nash blond sprites.jpg (42.16 KiB) Viewed 21408 times
Nall scratching.jpg
Nall scratching.jpg (161.96 KiB) Viewed 21408 times

Erroneous
Legendary Hero

Post by Erroneous »

Alunissage wrote:This new incarnation of the board has a size limit on attachments so I have to reduce a bunch of things.
I bumped up the settings, try it now and let me know if that works.
---
LunarNET Discord: https://discord.gg/yzXgsSa

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

Okay, thanks. Let's try this one, a battle which has Tempest instead of Nash and a dress for Mia that's much more like what Lemia wears.
screenshot very random battle.jpg
screenshot very random battle.jpg (336.16 KiB) Viewed 21398 times
And here's the one I was thinking of with regards to the beginning of this thread. Early colored drawings of Luna and Alex to go with the mockup intro screens, showing brown hair on Luna and, yes, long black hair on Alex. Note that these drawings must be from considerably earlier in development than other pics in the same magazine, since their sprites have the familiar blue and orange hair.
Alex Luna Ramus from mag.jpg
Alex Luna Ramus from mag.jpg (796.32 KiB) Viewed 21398 times
(I got an error when trying to attach a third pic.)

Kizyr
Keeper of Knowledge (probationary)

Post by Kizyr »

Ah ok! Here go with some of the translations (spot translations only, so some of these could be cleaned up):

For Nall scratching.jpg

Code: Select all

Ten looks for Nall
Lunar has amazing animation in its opening and all, but it also has plenty of characteristics in its sprites. Check out how good Nall's various expressions are!!
With 1-4 there are 100 different looks!! He's really like the party's mascot here!!
For Alex Luna Ramus from mag.jpg

Code: Select all

Over 30 actively unique characters!!
In Lunar, there are over 30 individual and distinct characters that appear and either join the party or have some direct connection to the protagonist. The party itself is at most 5 people. We'll introduce the protagonist Alex, and some of the main characters in the opening act of the game.

[Below Alex's picture]
Alex and his pet (or friend!?) Nall.

[Below Luna's picture[
Luna. Right now these screenshots are being redrawn.

Alex
The protagonist. A master at playing the harp. Part of his is a little indecisive, but he's a boy with a soft heart and a bright personality.

Luna
The heroine. Being the protagonist's childhood friend, she holds onto a little affection for Alex. She's very good at singing.

Ramus
The son of the village chief and Alex's friend. He has dreams of becoming rich.

Nall
An animal that looks like a cat with wings. Alex's friend with whom he often argues!!
Huh... Looks like they knew at the time things like Luna's hair color were going to be changed. KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

Yeah, other things in the same issue already show Luna with blue hair. Interestingly enough, that sketch with the necklace-like trim (that got sort of incorporated into the brown-haired screenshot) isn't in the I+II artbook even as a line sketch, although other earlier versions of her design (without hair color indicated) are. That's one reason I was so pleased to get this image.

But as far as early character sketches go this has to be my favorite:
Mia Nash Jess Lemia Mel from mag.jpg
Mia Nash Jess Lemia Mel from mag.jpg (835.02 KiB) Viewed 21389 times
Check out Jessica's left hand... if you can find one. This was in the following issue, IIRC.

Shinto-Cetra
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Shinto-Cetra »

Interesting. That Nall scratching is really cute. Also it looks like Mia is wearing the robes her mother does (more formal.)

Leoriosan
Saith Pirate

Post by Leoriosan »

There's one bit of concept art that may or may not exist anymore and was briefly alluded to in an interview with Shigema and Kubooka. Apparently, Jessica had a tail in an early design.
Kubooka: As for Jessica, I wonder how she was...

Shigema: Well, Jessica's a beastwoman, she's called a beastwoman. With six breasts or something...

Kubooka: I don't know about that (laughter).

Shigema: There wasn't that, of course. She has a tail [note: apparently he is speaking about an early design].

Kizyr
Keeper of Knowledge (probationary)

Post by Kizyr »

Leoriosan wrote:There's one bit of concept art that may or may not exist anymore and was briefly alluded to in an interview with Shigema and Kubooka. Apparently, Jessica had a tail in an early design.
Kubooka: As for Jessica, I wonder how she was...
Shigema: Well, Jessica's a beastwoman, she's called a beastwoman. With six breasts or something...
Kubooka: I don't know about that (laughter).
Shigema: There wasn't that, of course. She has a tail [note: apparently he is speaking about an early design].
Dangit Shigema, talk about a one-track mind... He's like this in nearly every interview... >.>

Anyway, if people are wondering, that interview (translated by Maou) is here: http://lunar-net.com/interviews/lunaripii4.php

Early beastman/beastwoman designs got really creative though. Leo and Mauri's early designs included them as centaurs (which really wouldn't've fit with the Lunar universe if they'd kept it... Shining Force, totally, but not Lunar). KF
~Kizyr (they|them)