Lunar was released in the USA 20 years ago as of this month

For discussion of Lunar: The Silver Star, the original game for the Sega CD
Dark_Fairy
White Dragon Knight
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

Lunar was released in the USA 20 years ago as of this month

Post by Dark_Fairy »

I just realized this! :shock:

I am currently making a list of my gaming collection using vgcollect.com, and they didn't have Lunar The Silver Star (JP Mega CD version) on there, so I was adding it. I clicked on the Wikipedia page to get the Japanese name for Lunar, and I scrolled down to see that on December 1st, 1993 Lunar The Silver Star was released in the USA. I can't believe Lunar is over 20 years old...

Aaron
Blue Dragon Ninja

Re: Lunar was released in the USA 20 years ago as of this mo

Post by Aaron »

Lets see 1993 I was 6.

I still remember sitting down with my dad while he would play and I would watch. I also remember the manual for the Sega CD version having Alex and Luna on the back (I think). Anyway they were kissing and I had to just ask my mom why one morning while I was eating cereal.

The things I remember are strange and pointless. LOL.

But this was a great game. I distinctly remember watching my dad get the pieces of the Dragon Armor and even the ending with the pool of blood. Kinda freaked me out. My dad also died at the end when he was climbing the stairs to get to Luna/Althena...

jay_are
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by jay_are »

Aaron wrote:and even the ending with the pool of blood
At first I was like Holy Dragon di- is there a pool of blood at the end????
Then I remembered.
Aaron wrote:My dad also died at the end
Duuuuuude that's not cool. You made me feel bad there.
Dark_Fairy wrote: I can't believe Lunar is over 20 years old...
Maaaaaaan. I accidentally celebrated it. But I am very proud of it :lol:
I was drawing Lunar TSS pixel art while this birthday happened!

AkagisWhiteComet
Red Dragon Priest

Post by AkagisWhiteComet »

I was 10 when Silver Star came out.

The crazy thing was how cheap I scored Silver Star for, considering it was still relatively new (-ish). I didn't get a Sega CD until some time after the second version model was produced. A local video rental store that popped up fairly quick, just as quick went under due to competition from the local Blockbuster. I went in one day just to see what they were selling and scored most of my Sega CD collection that day. I bought Silver Star for $5, Vay for $4, and Sonic CD, Silpheed, Dune, Road Rash, to name a few, for $3 each. All with cases and manuals. Now Eternal Blue, that's a different story. I bought it from Funco and got royally screwed.

But that $5 Silver Star purchase about 18 years ago was pretty incredible.

DragnMasterHiro
Iluk Crackpot

Post by DragnMasterHiro »

Man, just seeing this and Sonic 3 celebrating 20 years, makes me feel sooo old!!! lol

I remember drooling over Lunar and the other WD Sega CD games in every magazine back then. Took a lot of my NES and Genesis games, traded them in for store credit at a new game store that had opened up called Micro Play near the mall. Got myself a Sega CD with Sonic, Lunar and Vay. Good times indeed....

Shiva Indis
White Dragon Knight

Post by Shiva Indis »

AkagisWhiteComet wrote:But that $5 Silver Star purchase about 18 years ago was pretty incredible.
I got my grandma to drive across town, pick me up, and take me to her neighborhood to buy TSS. I got a pretty good price for it, but not that good. :P I wonder if my grandma remembers that...
「まあいいけど。」

Dangerous_D
Saith Pirate

Re: Lunar was released in the USA 20 years ago as of this month

Post by Dangerous_D »

I was 13 when it originally was released, I played the version that was released on PS1, tempted to dust off my PS1 and fire it up