Lunar Silver Star Complete Saturn fan translation

For discussion of Lunar: The Silver Star, the original game for the Sega CD
protivakid
Saith Pirate
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

Lunar Silver Star Complete Saturn fan translation

Post by protivakid »

Has anyone ever thought of doing a fan translation for the Japanese Lunar Silver Star Complete MPEG Edition on the Sega Saturn from the english Playstation version? Looking at that version and the PS1 version the text for the Saturn is stored in ".DAT" files, and the text for the PS1 is in ".STR," which I assume to be "string" files. The problem would be figuring out how to read in and re-write the data to and from these files. If anyone had the Lunar source code this would be easy but assuming no one does, has anyone out there ever began work on a fan translation?

Kizyr
Keeper of Knowledge (probationary)

Re: Lunar Silver Star Complete Saturn fan translation

Post by Kizyr »

Is there really a point, though? There's already an official English version, and there isn't anything text-wise that's in the Saturn version that isn't also in the English PSX one.

I'd venture that that's the reason no one's really thought of doing a fan translation. Not much motive to do one when there's another that already exists. KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

Shiva Indis
White Dragon Knight

Post by Shiva Indis »

Doing a fan translation sounds fun to me, but mostly just for the exercise. The versions of Silver Star Story aren't that different from each other, and the most meaningful change we could make to the writing would be cutting out the quirkiness.
「まあいいけど。」

protivakid
Saith Pirate

Post by protivakid »

I agree that there is a perfectly fine version on the Playstation. I guess I just hold a special spot for the Saturn and would love to take the MPEG version, which some say they like the best, and translate it to English hopefully using the PS1 text. More of something fun to do. Again, the versions between consoles are similar but if the source code was ever "leaked" assuming it wasn't lost in the 90's it would sure make this project (if it ever gets off the ground) a lot easier.