Silver Star's 15th Anniversary

For discussion of Lunar: The Silver Star, the original game for the Sega CD
cj iwakura
Student of Vane
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

Silver Star's 15th Anniversary

Post by cj iwakura »

So unless wikipedia is dead wrong, as of tomorrow, Lunar: The Silver Star will have been released 15 years ago in the US.

I've been looking for a good reason to replay TSS, and this will do nicely.

Anyone else taking a nostalgia trip for the occasion?

Alex_Pwns_Hiro
Red Dragon Priest

Re: Silver Star's 15th Anniversary

Post by Alex_Pwns_Hiro »

I'll be re-playing it again tomorrow as well. Happy birthday TSS!

GhaleonOne
Ghost From The Past

Post by GhaleonOne »

Thanks for the heads up. I'll have to do a small news update tomorrow night about it when I update the character poll stuff.
-G1

DragonmasterDan
Lunar Legend

Post by DragonmasterDan »

Ehh, I thought it came out later in December, I remember getting it around a week before Christmas at Babbages (I had to have it the day it came out since I bought every RPG good or bad that came out at the time). They probably recieved it with in a day of it shipping, so I'd guess it was the mid to late teens in December when it shipped in the US.

swordandshield
Lyton Singer

Post by swordandshield »

I have looked all over for the original Lunar TSS but to no avail. :cry:

I have the Playstation version but I want to see Ghaleon transform into a monster, saw some videos of him doing that, which he doesnt do in the remake, lol.

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

Lots of them on eBay. And pretty much nowhere else.

DragonmasterDan
Lunar Legend

Alunissage wrote:Lots of them on eBay. And pretty much nowhere else.
If you spend a lot of time in stores that buy old games (independent game stores, thirft stores) it shows up from time to time. It's actually one of the more common US Sega CD games in my experience.

It is however one of the more sought after, so I see copies of TSS here and there in my constant thrifting and weird game hunting. But usually due to their sought after nature they are fairly expensive for Sega CD games (30.00 and up).

I've not seen copies of say Snatcher, Lunar Eternal Blue or Popful Mail in person in a decade or more. Where I've seen TSS 5-6 times (though I go gamehunting 2-3 times a week and have for years).

swordandshield
Lyton Singer

Post by swordandshield »

It seems that way and I have tried looking in used games stores and every game store in town and in surrounding towns but havent had much luck. The problem is I dont really trust buying things from eBay, mainly because of the pay in advance thing but I have bought a couple of things on there from people with good feedback, so it makes them somewhat trustworthy.

And I guess my game stores in my area must be pretty bad then, since I cant find Lunar TSS or Eternal Blue. It doesnt seem so common for me unfortunately. Then again my luck is always horrible when everyone else has good luck in the same exact situation. :(

I'll just try looking around for it on eBay so I can become one of the cool kids and finally be a true Lunar fan. :wink:

Kizyr
Keeper of Knowledge (probationary)

Post by Kizyr »

egghead wrote:It seems that way and I have tried looking in used games stores and every game store in town and in surrounding towns but havent had much luck. The problem is I dont really trust buying things from eBay, mainly because of the pay in advance thing but I have bought a couple of things on there from people with good feedback, so it makes them somewhat trustworthy.
I'll just try looking around for it on eBay so I can become one of the cool kids and finally be a true Lunar fan. :wink:
I don't know where you're getting your information, but we're not cool. Not at all. We're total nerds. Geeks, even.

I've found buying through eBay is generally safe. The only times I've had problems are when I didn't pick up on the vagueness of a seller's ad, and that only happened once. Otherwise, I've always had good experiences. If you do happen to find TSS on eBay, and aren't sure about the seller, feel free to post the ad up here and me or someone else can take a look. KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

DragonmasterDan
Lunar Legend

Kizyr wrote:
egghead wrote:It seems that way and I have tried looking in used games stores and every game store in town and in surrounding towns but havent had much luck. The problem is I dont really trust buying things from eBay, mainly because of the pay in advance thing but I have bought a couple of things on there from people with good feedback, so it makes them somewhat trustworthy.
I don't know where you're getting your information, but we're not cool. Not at all. We're total nerds. Geeks, even.

I've found buying through eBay is generally safe. The only times I've had problems are when I didn't pick up on the vagueness of a seller's ad, and that only happened once. Otherwise, I've always had good experiences. If you do happen to find TSS on eBay, and aren't sure about the seller, feel free to post the ad up here and me or someone else can take a look. KF
Right, buying from ebay is generally safe.

Check the feedback # and percentage of the person you're buying from. That's really what lets you know about the legitimacy of the person you're buying from.

swordandshield
Lyton Singer

Post by swordandshield »

Kizyr wrote: I don't know where you're getting your information, but we're not cool. Not at all. We're total nerds. Geeks, even.

Ohi. :) Who says geeks arent cool?! I dont know where you're getting your information either pal. I'm your typical quirky individual who enjoys caffeine, heart-warming stories and video games. So can I be in the club? :wink:

Aye, eBay is safe most of the time, I have always had good experiences with it, even from buying Yu-Gi-Oh cards a few years back and I even bought them in bulks. :shock:

I've just been semi cautious ever since I heard of a couple people who have been scammed by eBay sellers that apparently had good feedback and good reputations...

But atleast it killed their reputation so now its nigh impossible for them to sell anything.

I have always been skeptical of paying in advance, though. I would rather order something from somewhere that is owned by a company but the thing is, you can find almost everything on eBay whereas somewhere else you really cant, so thats why eBay is so great.

I will definately let you know of the ad if I find TSS and if I am unsure about it. I mean, it always helps when you have another soul to help you out when you are unsure of something, right? :wink:

cj iwakura
Student of Vane

Post by cj iwakura »

I got a like-new copy for only $40 a couple years back, with the original strategy guide, so I'd say it's not that rare or expensive at all.

Snatcher, on the other hand, commands top dollar. I guess Kojima productions have that effect on people.

DragonmasterDan
Lunar Legend

cj iwakura wrote:
Snatcher, on the other hand, commands top dollar. I guess Kojima productions have that effect on people.
Snatcher was reasonably inexpensive for years, going well below the price for either Lunar game. When the Lunar titles we remade and released in the US on Playstation their demand went down.

The second reason is they only made a few thousand copies of Snatcher for the US Sega CD. In an interview with Jeremy Blaustein (who localized Metal Gear Solid and Snatcher) he mentioned that only a few thousand were produced (3000), this number makes games like Shining Force III (6000 copies) (or Panzer Dragoon Saga (30,000 copies) look quite common by comparison.

DragonmasterDan
Lunar Legend

egghead wrote:
It seems that way and I have tried looking in used games stores and every game store in town and in surrounding towns but havent had much luck. The problem is I dont really trust buying things from eBay, mainly because of the pay in advance thing but I have bought a couple of things on there from people with good feedback, so it makes them somewhat trustworthy.

And I guess my game stores in my area must be pretty bad then, since I cant find Lunar TSS or Eternal Blue. It doesnt seem so common for me unfortunately. Then again my luck is always horrible when everyone else has good luck in the same exact situation. :(

I just saw both Lunar TSS and EB for sale in a brick and mortar store yesterday.