Which Opening is better- TSS or SSSC?

For discussion of Lunar: The Silver Star, the original game for the Sega CD

Which opening song do you prefer (English version)- TSS or SSSC?

The Silver Star
52%
Silver Star Story Complete
48%

Total votes: 44

LuciaOne
Goddess
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

Which Opening is better- TSS or SSSC?

Post by LuciaOne »

I was just pondering how I really prefer TSS over SSSC- TSS is so much more badarse, and it has a kicking bridge with 90's flair. To me, SSSC was just a giant bowl of audible sugar. Jenny Stigile did an amazing job singing, but the lyrics were just corny. TSS' was about danger, darkness and overcoming the odds. But that's just my opinion. What do you guys think?

BTW, I haven't been around lately so hopefully no one has posted this in the memorable past.
I found my old siggie! MUAH HAHAHAHAHA!!!
~~~
Sir Kizyr: ::high-pitched voice:: Ohh lookit me, I'm a cute li'l elf!
MiaAusa: Oh wait! NO I GET IT.
MiaAusa: It's him finally fessing up the the fact that HE IS a cut li'l elf. :d
MiaAusa: Hey, chance" NO I GET IT" to "NOW I GET IT"
MiaAusa: change**
MiaAusa: I'm mad with grammar today
MiaAusa: bad**

I'm mad with grammar too.
~~~
Sir Kizyr: Here's a lovely song about my favorite food
Sir Kizyr: Lima, lento, soy, and pinto ~ Navy, northern, and garbanzo! ~ Kidneys and frijoles negros
Sir Kizyr: I love beans, I love beans, woo woo woo! ~ How 'bout you? ~ High in fiber ~ Low in fat ~ Hey, I betcha didn't know that
Sir Kizyr: When I eat beans, I sit in my little cloud, I don't know why ~ maybe 'cause I'm cuttin' muffins ~~ Because....
Sir Kizyr: I love beans! Hey hey hey! ~ I love beans everyday! ~ Beans are an excellent source of protein ~ I love beans!
Sir Kizyr: Diggydoo!
~~~

exigence
Blue Dragon Ninja

Re: Which Opening is better- TSS or SSSC?

Post by exigence »

I like the opening of tss much more than sssc. its like you said badarse with 90s flair.

Kizyr
Keeper of Knowledge (probationary)

Post by Kizyr »

What? I tried to vote for SSSC and clicked the wrong button.

I liked SSSC's much more. The vocal quality just wasn't doing it for me in the original, even though I sang along with it all the time. Even when I wasn't playing it. KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

Dragonmaster Lou
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Dragonmaster Lou »

Thematically, I think SSSC's opening actually is closer to the feel of the game than TSS's. Despite all the adventure in the game, at its heart it is a love story, and SSSC's opening is about that love story.

That said, TSS's theme does still rock, and I love listening to it. :)
"Guts can turn a 30% chance into a 100% chance!" - Taiga Kohtarou
Personal home page: http://www.techhouse.org/~lou
Lunar page: http://www.techhouse.org/~lou/lunar/
AMV page: http://www.tealstudios.com

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

I suppose I agree with Lou up to a point, but I liked the energy of TSS's opening better. Also, I didn't feel that TSS was as much concerned with the love story as SSSC was; it seemed more about adventure to me. For that reason, I also don't mind that WD changed the content of the song almost entirely.

I also just don't like the vocals of the SSSC song as much. In English there's too much nasality and pop-song drawl (a problem I have with other Stigile songs), and the Japanese song is kind of quiet, which is more of a balance issue, I suppose.

Dragonmaster Lou
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Dragonmaster Lou »

I do agree with you on the energy of the TSS opening. It honestly is difficult to pick one out that I like more (although the animation was definitely superior in SSSC's opening). I didn't notice the nasality in the English SSSC opening myself, though, but I agree that the Japanese one was absolutely lovely.
"Guts can turn a 30% chance into a 100% chance!" - Taiga Kohtarou
Personal home page: http://www.techhouse.org/~lou
Lunar page: http://www.techhouse.org/~lou/lunar/
AMV page: http://www.tealstudios.com

phyco126
Dragonmaster

Post by phyco126 »

TSS was the badarse rock your head jump up and down break something and scream w00t beginning. I love the song.

But...

SSSC gave me an orgasm, so.... yeah. I voted SSSC.

- "Sometimes life smiles when it kicks you down. The trick is to smile back."

Sonic#
Pao Tribe Chieftain

Post by Sonic# »

TMI, phyco.

I voted for SSSC. I'd been hearing them both about as long (because the TSS song is on the English SSSC soundtrack)... and while I thought the TSS song was cool, I was always a little bit distanced from it. The SSSC one I would listen to more, and for me the song worked well despite its pop tendencies, though I can't imagine how it would work without them. (Perhaps it's because I haven't heard a sufficiently good dubbed song without that.)
Sonic#

"Than seyde Merlion, "Whethir lyke ye bettir the swerde othir the scawberde?" "I lyke bettir the swerde," seyde Arthure. "Ye ar the more unwyse, for the scawberde ys worth ten of the swerde; for whyles ye have the scawberde uppon you, ye shall lose no blood, be ye never so sore wounded. Therefore kepe well the scawberde allweyes with you." --- Le Morte Darthur, Sir Thomas Malory

"Just as you touch the energy of every life form you meet, so, too, will will their energy strengthen you. Fail to live up to your potential, and you will never win. " --- The Old Man at the End of Time

captaindax
Red Dragon Priest

Post by captaindax »

phyco126 wrote:...SSSC gave me an orgasm...
Three words: Too...much...information :wink:

I liked SSSC better personally, it just seemed to fit better with the game. Not that TSS wasn't good.
I - am that is

Benevolent_Ghaleon
BANNED

Post by Benevolent_Ghaleon »

phyco126 wrote:TSS was the badarse rock your head jump up and down break something and scream w00t beginning. I love the song.

But...

Do you think it feels anything like that to use a goddess statue?

Werefrog
Dragonmaster

Post by Werefrog »

Benevolent_Ghaleon wrote:
phyco126 wrote:TSS was the badarse rock your head jump up and down break something and scream w00t beginning. I love the song.

But...

Do you think it feels anything like that when sampling Leo's goods?

Benevolent_Ghaleon
BANNED

Werefrog wrote:
Benevolent_Ghaleon wrote:

But...

Do you think it feels anything like that when sampling Leo's goods?
"I saved this for you, infidel!"

Holy crap. Leo sounds like a terrorist!

Sonic#
Pao Tribe Chieftain

Post by Sonic# »

Gwyn also uses the word infidel, though it doesn't come up as much. "Haha, take this infidel!" I'm pretty sure the use of the term is more general than terrorism... more a joke on Leo's crusading nature than anything else. Interesting that the two boundaries should be blurred though, between Leo the terrorist and Leo the crusader. It's like he can be, in serving Zophar unwittingly, both.

Either that, or Gwyn and Leo both just happen to use the word.

A lot of the battle cries were rather suggestive in nature, if you choose to take them that way. ^_~ Ronfar was good at that - "You always hurt the ones you love!" and "I'm a sucker for a good bang!" being foremost. Then Leo and (besides the ones mentioned) "Taste my refreshment!" and "Swallow this!" Mystere said "You need a spanking!" and "Discipline feels good! Haha!" I hope that's taken care of all the possible connections to be made between battle calls and our dirty, dirty minds. Really, phyco, TMI. >_<

The other ones don't have such issues. Check out a guide to all the sayings on GameFAQs to see more.
Sonic#

"Than seyde Merlion, "Whethir lyke ye bettir the swerde othir the scawberde?" "I lyke bettir the swerde," seyde Arthure. "Ye ar the more unwyse, for the scawberde ys worth ten of the swerde; for whyles ye have the scawberde uppon you, ye shall lose no blood, be ye never so sore wounded. Therefore kepe well the scawberde allweyes with you." --- Le Morte Darthur, Sir Thomas Malory

"Just as you touch the energy of every life form you meet, so, too, will will their energy strengthen you. Fail to live up to your potential, and you will never win. " --- The Old Man at the End of Time

Benevolent_Ghaleon
BANNED

Lulz

phyco126
Dragonmaster

Post by phyco126 »

Nah, it isn't too much info! SSSC is like, orgasmically delicious!

- "Sometimes life smiles when it kicks you down. The trick is to smile back."

cj iwakura
Student of Vane

Post by cj iwakura »

TSS was the first experience I'd had with an RPG showing off animation like that, so even if only from classic status, TSS.

Evil_Goddess
Meribian Merchant

Post by Evil_Goddess »

Actually I voted for the SSS opening even though otherwise I like playing the original TSS much more but the opening of SSS and the boat scene with Luna singing during the trip to Meribia were definitely two highlights of the remake.
Also if it is for sure somehow cool and I also feel nostalgic about those old style openings on the Mega-CD or PC-Engine I somehow felt the music style of the TSS opening being a little out of place, even though again I can enjoy the rest of the music much more than the one from the remake (I for example always miss the mysterious music when I enter the Black Rose Street in SSS, why didn't they put another track in the game for that, it sounded so cool in TSS 8-) ).

Old poll, but still felt to write that :wink:

NallOne
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by NallOne »

TSS easily. Though it gave me more of an 80's vibe than 90's, which is part of the appeal for me. It really got me pumped up. I still love SSS' opening though. It just doesn't get me quite as pumped up. It sets a very different mood.
- Mike

Kaiya-Sky
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Kaiya-Sky »

I like the SSSC video and the TSS music, putting them together wouldn't work lol. I slightly like the SSSC opening better, probably because iv seen it more times and i think i saw it first, since i was very young (2) when TSS came out here, theres a good chance i saw it later on but don't remember. The SSSC music is good for the first few times but sorta gets blah the more you listening to it, but still isn't that bad, I just love the TSS music more

Shiva Indis
White Dragon Knight

Post by Shiva Indis »

TSS has a cool opening but the song's campiness always kind of embarrassed me, and the vocal work is not so hot. (The Japanese version somehow managed to be even worse about that.) On the other hand I LOVED the look of the SSS opening, and the song does not make me feel embarrassed. The English lyrics bug me though. What is the "it" that I'm supposed to instantly see and have time to grow to be, anyway?

I'm happiest with the Japanese version, even though I like Jenny Stigile's voice better than Kyoko Hikami's.
「まあいいけど。」