Levelling up Laike

For discussion of Lunar: The Silver Star, the original game for the Sega CD
Alunissage
Goddess
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

Levelling up Laike

Post by Alunissage »

Some of you may remember a while back (like, four years ago) I had some time to kill and decided to try levelling up Laike. This isn't as tedious as it sounds, since there are only two people in the party when you have him and the overworld enemies between Tamur and Myght's Tower award fairly high EXP. (The ones actually in the tower are terrible for this.) There are even convenient HP and MP shrines in that section of map.

Today I decided to finish the job of getting him up to 99. I'd only levelled him up to 96 previously. It was even less tedious than I expected since just using AI means one fewer button press (I always had Alex run, of course, so as to not share the EXP). I played by ear, holding a book in my other hand. :mrgreen:

Laike's starting stats (without equipment) are:

LEVEL 95
HP 580
MP 40
ATK 128
DEF 92
AGIL 48
ANTI-M 24
# ATKS 4
MOVES 4
EXP 21000000
NEXT 100000

He comes equipped with the Scimitar (ATK +53), Heavy Clothes (DEF +5), and Leather Gauntlet (DEF +3). He knows the Fastcut, Sybillium, Sprint, and Coup de Grace spells.

At Level 96 he gains max HP +1 and learns the Sidestep skill.
At Level 97 he gains max HP +6 and AGIL +1.
At Level 98 he gains max HP +4, ATK +1, and AGIL +1.
At Level 99 he gains max HP +7 and AGIL +1.

So his final max HP is 598, ATK is 129, and AGIL is 51. Nothing else changes, except his learning Sidestep at 96. The EXP required for each level is always 100000, so he ends at 2500000+. He continues to gain EXP after that, but there is no "next level" section in his stat list after that. I'm trying to remember if this is also how Ghaleon's looks in that game (since he's at 99 when he's in your party) or if his actually says that it's 0 to next level.

On a related note, I know that I saw tables of stats for all levels of the five main characters at some point, but apparently I didn't save them, since I no longer seem to have them. I remember seeing this mainly because I noted that no one had levelled up Laike fully, and probably not Tempest either (sigh). Anyone know where these might be, or am I just making them up? People have commented on stuff happening at higher levels (like Nash getting another attack at 95) but it may be that that's all I've seen and not detailed stat tables like the ones I have for SSSC.

Alex_Pwns_Hiro
Red Dragon Priest

Post by Alex_Pwns_Hiro »

hmm I never thought of trying to level up Laike or Tempest. I think im gonna try leveling Tempest to 99.

scaryice
Student of Vane

Post by scaryice »

Who's gonna do it with Luna? :D

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

I might try that sometime, but probably on emu. Actually, I fully intend to eventually, just to round out the collection. Might take me years, though.

I did level up Tempest. That was a serious pain in the neck, for several reasons. His weapon has a fixed ATK, so the battles never get any faster, and you have to make sure that every battle lasts at least two rounds so as to give everyone else a chance to run (else this would take much, much longer). The amount of EXP needed to get to the next level fluctuates, rather than steadily rising, but unlike Alex's and Mia's (and presumably the other characters), the amount doesn't plateau around 20000 for the last couple dozen levels. Alex needs < 900000 EXP to get to 99, Tempest needs 2320000. Considering you get him at level 39 with 37000 EXP, that's a lot of time spent in Grimzol's Cave.

For the curious, here are his starting and ending stats:

Code: Select all

LVL    HP    MP   ATK   DEF   AGIL  ANTI-M  #ATKS  MOVES   EXP   NEXT
39    361    22    55    33    37     40      3      3    37000  3500
99    650   129   110    52    72    108      3      3  2320000
No new spells learned, either.