Japanese-English guide

For discussion of Lunar: The Silver Star, the original game for the Sega CD
hideFan
NPC
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

Japanese-English guide

Post by hideFan »

Ok. So I know it seems a little lazy of me not to just buy the English Saturn version, but I got my hands on a Japanese version, and quite frankly- I speak little Japanese and I can hardly read any. I know I could do this without a guide, but the spells have been mostly trial and error and I need some help. Does anyone know of a Japanese to English guide that will translate spells, attacks, towns, ect. I would muchly apprieciate it.

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

Umm...I think you're confused. There is no English Saturn version of any of the games; the PlayStation port was translated instead. A guide to the English PS game may help; another thing to try would be to check Kizyr's Lunar Legend guide for the spell names, since most of those are the same as in the Saturn/PS game. Oh, and since ths Saturn and PS games are the same, this really should be in the SSSC board and not the TSS one.

However, if you just made a typo and you meant SegaCD instead of Saturn, well, there still isn't any specific help for you, I think. I've never seen a list of the game's Japanese names with translations, sorry.

Kizyr
Keeper of Knowledge (probationary)

Post by Kizyr »

I don't think the Lunar: Legend guide would help any. The spell names might be different or written in a different script.

I'm still not sure if you mean the Sega CD game, or the Saturn game. Either way, if you can screenshot some of the spell lists then I'll give you a spot translation, but I don't know of any actual transation guide with what you're looking for. KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

Ah, yes, yet another of my projects that I haven't gotten to, making lists of all the spell names in the various versions and seeing what's changed. But I seem to recall that you and I compared notes on this a year or so ago and most of the Legend names were the same as the PS/Saturn ones. In my copious free time I'll pull out a guide for the latter and compare it to the names in your walkthrough, just to know. Actually, a list like that for each game would be good to post on that game's page on the site, for the benefit of people playing the imports -- especially helpful for TSS since there are no icons to help you out. Heck, in TSS I was always losing track of which of Nash's 12 thunder spells I wanted and that was with them in English. :P

Edit: Okay, I took a quick look at a Saturn SSS guide to compare its spell list to Kizyr’s Legend walkthrough. I’d say that these are similar enough for the Legend guide to be useful in playing the Saturn/PS Japanese game.

All of Alex’s spells except Red Dragon Anger have the same MP cost in the two games, and are the same spells. That alone should be enough to identify them. Sword Dance has the same initial kanji (probably the rest of the name too, but I’m guessing the rest of the name was written in hiragana because of the difficulty in making kanji readable on that size), and of course the dragon spells all begin with (Color) Dragon... which are identifiable and the same in the two games. The other three sword spells won’t be recognizable; again I think the same names are written in kanji in the console game and kana in Legend.

Luna’s likewise are in kanji on the console, but the spell costs are the same so the only problem will be telling Heal Song from Pure Song and Power Song from Escape Song.

All of Nash’s and Mia’s spells are in katakana and identical in the two games, so no problem there.

Jessica’s have the same problem as Luna’s; you’ll have to go by MP cost. Heal Litany and Pure Litany cost the same, but the one hiragana (besides ‘no’) in their console names is also in Legend’s names so it wouldn’t be too bad.

Kyle’s and Tempest’s spells, like Nash and Mia’s, are in katakana in both and identical.

Ghaleon’s spells aren’t in the Legend walkthrough, but for the brief time you have him it makes absolutely no difference which spell of his you use since he’s about 90 levels above anything you’ll encounter.

So overall, the Legend walkthrough will help you with all but Luna and Jessica, and you can use the MP costs to figure out nearly all of theirs.