Lunar: TSS speed run v2.0

For discussion of Lunar: The Silver Star, the original game for the Sega CD
Alunissage
Goddess
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

Post by Alunissage »

I took a look at the guide. All of the projectile/distance weapons set the character's attack to a given number:

Sling: 12
Darts: 20
Bow: 35
Crossbow: 65
Boomerang: 83
Pixie Bow: 150
Whip: 100
Pixie Whip: 170

scaryice
Student of Vane

Post by scaryice »

Alunissage wrote:I took a look at the guide. All of the projectile/distance weapons set the character's attack to a given number:

Sling: 12
Darts: 20
Bow: 35
Crossbow: 65
Boomerang: 83
Pixie Bow: 150
Whip: 100
Pixie Whip: 170
It's easier just to look here, but thanks:

http://www.rpgclassics.com/shrines/sega ... pons.shtml

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

It's only easier if the information is actually correct there. Note the very significant difference between what it says and what the guide from which I typed says. Attack = 12 is not remotely the same as Attack +12. I'd looked at that site after posting and noticed that odd discrepancy; someone either wasn't reading carefully or assumed a mistake when copying from another source. Do give me a little credit here; I wouldn't have posted what I did without reason to believe it was different from what you'd been able to dig up previously. Which it is.

Now, I haven't actually checked that the guide is in fact correct on this point, though I have no reason not to believe it. I remember Nash being unexpectedly strong at the time I had him equipped with the Boomerang, comparable to Alex.

scaryice
Student of Vane

Post by scaryice »

I was thinking, if the sling did decent damage against the Bronze dogs it could be worth getting. They have around 60 hit points, and flame takes about 40. I doubt it would take 20 off though.

scaryice
Student of Vane

Post by scaryice »

I've been attempting a run every night this week. To summarize:

Attempt #1) Sold the carapace armor I had just bought in Meribia. Oops.

Attempt #2) Lost to bronze dogs after targeting the wrong one. My mistake.

Attempt #3) Lost to bronze dogs after a poor flee.

Attempt #4) Lost to bronze dogs after a poor flee.

I'm gonna give it another go in a little while. I've also been testing and have realized that if I get a poor flee (which doesn't take me to a corner), then it's better to go ahead and flee a second time.

I've also thought about going to Nanza before the trial cave and getting the nut there (which increases agility), since I have to stop at Nanza on the way to Lann anyway. I don't think it's necessary though.

scaryice
Student of Vane

Post by scaryice »

Attempt #5) Died vs lizards in Lann Island cave. I attacked with Jessica on the first turn, and it didn't work out. I usually have her use calm litany while Alex uses power litany on her, but I thought I could attack on the first turn. Oops.

exigence
Blue Dragon Ninja

Post by exigence »

i think you shoud just save it after you beat the bronz dogs

Jenner
Dragonmaster

Post by Jenner »

two Fire Rain spells = dead Bronze Dogs. No need to run.

6-8 Fire Rain Spells = dead giant mushroom thing, only need to run ONCE.

3-4 Holy Lights = Dead Dragon Angel, kill the one behind you first then flee and use Dyne's Sword as an item on the remaining angel when you run out of mana.

I liked using Bye-Bye air on priciple just because of the cute animation ;)
The Infamous Jenner!
Maker of Lists.
RIP Coley...
still adore you Kiz.

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

You're kind of missing the point... getting those spells (except Holy Light, obviously) requires levelling up, and he doesn't want to take the time to do that (not to mention it's tedious to watch in a speedrun). So he ideally needs to be able to do the battle with just Flame, as even though it will take longer to defeat multiple enemies that will still be less time than he'd have to spend in random battles. He's running from every battle and only gaining EXP from boss battles and events. He probably won't have enough MP for much Holy Light use, either.

Besides, don't you only get Holy Light AFTER fighting the Dragon Angels?

Jenner
Dragonmaster

Post by Jenner »

Alunissage wrote:You're kind of missing the point... getting those spells (except Holy Light, obviously) requires levelling up, and he doesn't want to take the time to do that (not to mention it's tedious to watch in a speedrun). So he ideally needs to be able to do the battle with just Flame, as even though it will take longer to defeat multiple enemies that will still be less time than he'd have to spend in random battles. He's running from every battle and only gaining EXP from boss battles and events. He probably won't have enough MP for much Holy Light use, either.

Besides, don't you only get Holy Light AFTER fighting the Dragon Angels?
Is it Searing Light? I don't have the means of playing my Lunar anymore :(
The Infamous Jenner!
Maker of Lists.
RIP Coley...
still adore you Kiz.

scaryice
Student of Vane

Post by scaryice »

Update: Haven't played it for a while now. After about ten attempts, it was getting a little frustrating. I bought the new Winning Eleven game, and also I've been playing MGO before it closes. But I'll get back to it eventually.

GhaleonOne
Ghost From The Past

Post by GhaleonOne »

FYI, how is the new Winning Eleven? I've been tempted to pick it up.
-G1

scaryice
Student of Vane

Post by scaryice »

Well, I just tried doing this again for the first time in nearly a year.

I'm more prepared this time. I downloaded all the pictures of the maps and drew the correct routes on them, and I have a word file with every single thing I need to do in outline form (which I had before, but not as detailed or organized).

Anyway, I made it 2/3rds of the way through the game before dying. The worst part is that is was an easily preventable death. I died at the Talon Mine, where you fight the commander then the dragon tank. I lost to the tank mostly because I forgot to use thunder thumper with Nash, which works great against him. In writing the detailed instructions to myself I forgot to put that on there for that fight. Stupid, stupid, stupid.

Benevolent_Ghaleon
BANNED

Post by Benevolent_Ghaleon »

it'll just be that much sweeter when you DO get this done. look at it like that.

scaryice
Student of Vane

Post by scaryice »

Couple more attempts with no success yet. I lost to the Lizards on Lann Island, and then at the Burg Spring. I couldn't have done anything differently either, just bad luck.