Variant Disc Art

For discussion of Lunar: The Silver Star, the original game for the Sega CD
Mattroid
Lann Fisherman
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

Variant Disc Art

Post by Mattroid »

Can someone please tell me exactly how many different disc variants there were for TSS? I've heard 3, 5, and 7. I can think of three different ones, I believe, but I haven't seen more.

Also, does anyone know the rarity of which individual ones, what order they were released, if a specific release was in conjunction with the non-foil stamped manual, etc?

Also, pictures of each one? I looked at the packaging pictures on the main page, but just saw the same one I see most places.

I'm sure more than just myself would be interested in this.

I'm also interested in all the variant art for other releases, so I may post that in the general Lunar forum so as to not create several similar threads for each game...

Kizyr
Keeper of Knowledge (probationary)

Post by Kizyr »

Alunissage has all of them (7 I believe), including pictures...

The rarest one has a reddish background with Alex on the right side, with black across the top and bottom of the disk. KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

Yeah, there are 7. Two of them are almost identical (and the same art was also used for the Japanese release).

Here's the big picture o' disc art:
http://pwrsrc.net/~charlie/disc_art_big.jpg

and the smaller version:
http://pwrsrc.net/~charlie/disc_art_small.jpg

That's all the game discs (and the two making ofs) from all the console games. I need to do an addendum with the PC discs and cartridges.

Top row: TSS variants 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 (the last being rarest)
2nd row: TSS variants 2 and 1; TSS (Japanese); EB (Japanese); EB (US)
3rd row: Saturn games: SSSC (MPEG); SSS; MS; EB (2 discs)
4th row: Japanese PS games: SSS; EB
5th row: SSSC set 1; EBC set 1
6th row: SSSC set 2; EBC set 2
7th row: SSSC set 3; SSSC demo; EBC demo; EBC Making Of
8th row: SSSC set 4; SSSC Fan Art Ed.; ;SSSC Making Of

Mattroid
Lann Fisherman

Post by Mattroid »

Very awesome. Thank you :) I've wanted to see all that for years.

linkcj
Meribian Merchant

Post by linkcj »

That's awesome!!!

I just bought one on Ebay because I'm having trouble finding my case for the copy of Silver Star that I have had for years (hopefully I'll find it in my basement soon).

And it turned out to be the rarest one.

I didn't even realize there were 7 different pictures until I opened my new one up today and was like, "Huh? Is that the same disc?"

Sweet deal. :lol:

Alunissage wrote:Yeah, there are 7. Two of them are almost identical (and the same art was also used for the Japanese release).

and the smaller version:

That's all the game discs (and the two making ofs) from all the console games. I need to do an addendum with the PC discs and cartridges.

M@XxXimu$
Meryod Yokel

Post by M@XxXimu$ »

Hello,i am new here!
Any chance somebody could upload those two pictures again?
I am trying to complete my Working Designs collection,so i am a bit curious :)
I think WD used the various Cd art "trick" also on their Dragon Force release for the Saturn?
At least for the Lunar copies,you do not have to sell your firstborn...

Sorry for the cr*ppy english,
and greetings from rainy Belgium.
Alunissage wrote:Yeah, there are 7. Two of them are almost identical (and the same art was also used for the Japanese release).

and the smaller version:

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

My webspace is down indefinitely (:() but I can mail the images to someone else to post them.

Here's what I know about WD disc art variants:

There are four Dragon Force disc variants, and I have them all, though I've never so much as put the game in the machine. :P In my copious free time I'll try to take a picture of them too. They came with matching stickers for the RAM cart but I only have matches for two or three of them.

There are nine Alundra variants. I haven't even considered trying to get all these.

There are three Magic Knight Rayearth variants, each with, surprise, one of the three girls. Mine is Fuu, which I would guess was the last produced.

There's some unknown number of Vanguard Bandits, Silhouette Mirage, and Growlanser Generations variants. (There are also variants on the rings and watches that came with the deluxe GG.)

There were two Arc the Lad Collection variants. The red/black one was produced in much smaller quantities, and was based on the Japanese Arc III disc art.

There was going to be a third EBC variant, but it was never manufactured.
Last edited by Alunissage on Fri Jan 05, 2007 12:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

GhaleonOne
Ghost From The Past

Post by GhaleonOne »

If you Email them to me, I can host the images Alunissage.
-G1

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

I emailed them to webmaster@lunar-net.com right after I made that post; will that work?

ilovemyguitar
Legendary Hero

Post by ilovemyguitar »

Alunissage wrote:There was going to be a third EBC variant, but it was never manufactured.
Oh, that's interesting, I never heard about that. Do you know what the planned third variant was going to be?

exigence
Blue Dragon Ninja

Post by exigence »

so, theres only 2 diffrent EBC discs, cool i guess i have both of them i always thought there was more.

GhaleonOne
Ghost From The Past

Post by GhaleonOne »

I got the images Alunissage. I didn't realize you had sent them before I posted. I check that account maybe once a week because of the severe amount of spam it gets. There's currently 4200+ pieces of junkmail in that inbox from 3 weeks of not deleting - it's absolutely ridiculous.
-G1

M@XxXimu$
Meryod Yokel

Post by M@XxXimu$ »

Thanks for your reply's
And thanks to Alunissage for letting me know,i have about 40+ games to collect for my collection :shock:
I hope someone will post Lunar those pics then...

About WD,did the sequel Lunar Eternal Bleu escape the cd art Curse ?

Here in Europe,we got the Dragon force translation to,but it was published by Sega themselves,so NO fancy various cd art.
Nowadays the game is pretty rare,and i think even more expensive than the US ones?

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

ilovemyguitar wrote:
Alunissage wrote:There was going to be a third EBC variant, but it was never manufactured.
Oh, that's interesting, I never heard about that. Do you know what the planned third variant was going to be?
No, and it wasn't common knowledge; I only knew about it because Vic mentioned it to me at some point. He said it'd be nice, too. :| I would guess that sales tapered off after that, though, so they didn't do the print run.

The SegaCD Eternal Blue only had the one disc art, yes. Probably because it was published so late in the SegaCD's lifespan. I actually bought mine new from WD in 1999 (possibly the very last they had, since it was listed as sold out shortly after), so I imagine it didn't sell anywhere on the scale of TSS. But that's pure speculation on my part.

G1: what's the best email address to send stuff to you at, in general? I used to use your AOL one, but I think you said you dumped AOL some time ago.

By the way, you need to update the Demo CDs merch page, because you can provide your own information about it now. ;) I need to find a way to record the Saturn SSS store demo I have too, though it's little more than a commercial, and send you an image of it.

GhaleonOne
Ghost From The Past

Post by GhaleonOne »

I've got so many things I need to update it's not even funny. I'm going to have a real go at it this year though, and try to get the entire site done finally for the 10th anniversary next Christmas. Well, done as in getting all the coming soons gone, fix up everything, set up a much better system for updating the site, etc. There will always been updates, just there's a lot of backlogged stuff.
-G1

exigence
Blue Dragon Ninja

Post by exigence »

http://www.game-rave.com/variant/

this has all of the playstation WD games and shows pictures of the various disc arts.

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

And yet the site can't be bothered to get the name of the game right...

Edit: my links work now, so check that first post of mine again.

M@XxXimu$
Meryod Yokel

Post by M@XxXimu$ »

Thanks a bunch,
your pics are on my harddrive as we speak :wink:
Let the hunt begin...

I am als going to take a look,at those Jap Saturn ones,
do all of them come with trading cards & maps?
Or are that "special" versions.

Again THX fr the pics & info.

PS,btw the Lunar Nin.DS game over here in Europe has a different title?
Its called Lunar Genesis.

Alunissage wrote:And yet the site can't be bothered to get the name of the game right...

Edit: my links work now, so check that first post of mine again.

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

Yes, I have the European Lunar Genesis also. The title screen is the only thing that seems to differ from the US one. Genesis is the original name; it was only changed for US release.

I'm not sure if all of the copies of Magic School and Eternal Blue for Saturn came with trading cards, but only the MPEG version of Silver Star Story did. I wouldn't be surprised if only the first printing of EB did, though.

cj iwakura
Student of Vane

Re:

Post by cj iwakura »

Alunissage wrote:There are four Dragon Force disc variants, and I have them all, though I've never so much as put the game in the machine. :P In my copious free time I'll try to take a picture of them too. They came with matching stickers for the RAM cart but I only have matches for two or three of them.

There's some unknown number of Vanguard Bandits, Silhouette Mirage, and Growlanser Generations variants. (There are also variants on the rings and watches that came with the deluxe GG.)
I never knew about either. I'd love to see the variations on Dragon Force and Growlanser, particularly.