Problem with Emulation of MCD Lunar

For discussion of Lunar: The Silver Star, the original game for the Sega CD
Kizyr
Keeper of Knowledge (probationary)
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

Problem with Emulation of MCD Lunar

Post by Kizyr »

Hey... I'm going back through and re-playing all my Lunar games, taking screenshots and notes as I go through (focusing on Lunar history-related stuff).

I'm trying to start up the Japanese TSS in my emulator, and for some reason it gets stuck at the opening screen. I've tried different emulators, cleaning the CD, ripping it to ISO (not distributing, so don't ask), etc, and I can't get it to work. Now, I did play through the Japanese TSS before using the Gens emulator, but why isn't it working now? Any ideas? KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

Erroneous
Legendary Hero

Post by Erroneous »

Are you using the correct BIOS for GENS?
---
LunarNET Discord: https://discord.gg/yzXgsSa

GhaleonOne
Ghost From The Past

Post by GhaleonOne »

Yeah, the correct BIOS is the most likely cause. Check and make sure it's using a Japanese BIOS rather than a North American one.
-G1

Kizyr

Post by Kizyr »

The BIOS is the Japanese one, that's not the error.

When I say it gets stuck at the opening screen, I mean the title Lunar screen that appears before the opening movie (where the US version has "WD Presents" instead).

Maybe there's another BIOS file I should use? KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

GhaleonOne
Ghost From The Past

Post by GhaleonOne »

Not the BIOS then, likely. Did you change operating systems since the last playthrough? I had troubles with WinXP and some emulators (Sega CD I believe) but I don't think I ever resolved them.
-G1

Erroneous
Legendary Hero

Post by Erroneous »

If you say your playing the MCD version, then if I recall you shouldn't be using the JP SegaCD bios but the bios for MegaCD. I really can't say where to aquire these BIOS since sites go down and out.
---
LunarNET Discord: https://discord.gg/yzXgsSa

Kizyr

Post by Kizyr »

Mega CD is the same thing as the Sega CD, so there's no actual "JP SCD" bios, just the MCD one (which is what I'm using, by the way).

G1, yeah, the last time I played the game was on my last Compaq computer, with WinXP Home as the OS. This one still has WinXP Home as the OS, so I'm unsure why that'd be the issue here...

If it comes down to it, I may have to just bring up by old Sega CD from Nashville the next time I go visit there, and find a way to play import games on it. I really don't want to have to lug it back up--and that way I won't be able to take screenshots. KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

GhaleonOne
Ghost From The Past

Post by GhaleonOne »

I just recalled I did get Mega CD play to work on one of the emulators back when Alunissage sent the EB Mega CD demo, but I'll have to figure out which one. When I get a spare moment, I'll try it again and let you know the settings and such. I remember it being a pain to get that demo to load.

Regarding the BIOS though, which version do you have? I just remembered there were two Sega CD and Mega CD BIOS files each. I do think that had something to do with it.
-G1

DevNall
Blue Dragon Ninja

Post by DevNall »

You're using GENS? There's an option under CPU called "Perfect Synchro." You might want to try changing this -- it's disabled by default and generally I have far better luck if it's enabled.

Also, some BIOS versions seem to work better than others...

Kizyr

Post by Kizyr »

I should've fiddled around with the options some more.

Thanks DevNall! I'll try this when I get home. If it works, great. I already tried out two different BIOS versions (the one I have, and an older one, both for MCD), neither of which worked without checking out other options. KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

Kizyr

Post by Kizyr »

Screw the double-post thing.

DevNall, you're a genius! It's working now!
I just wish you'd responded like a month ago {^^}. KF
~Kizyr (they|them)