Appropriate for children?

For discussion of Lunar: The Silver Star, the original game for the Sega CD
Agawa
Black Dragon Wizard
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

Appropriate for children?

Post by Agawa »

I've been planning on playing TSS with the kids that I babysit for a while now, but now that I think of it, there's one problem.

I never really notice what would be inappropriate for children when I play games, so I'm having a difficult time judging. If anyone here could point out factors that may be considered inappropriate, it would really help me out. I know the rating is MA13, but it would be useful to have specifications.

Thanks very much for the help, and pardon for asking.

GhaleonOne
Ghost From The Past

Post by GhaleonOne »

Only thing I can really think of is the skimpy Althena outfits, and perhaps mild language in places. That's about it.
-G1

Kizyr
Keeper of Knowledge (probationary)

Post by Kizyr »

TSS came out not that long after the rating systems were first devised. So, it overshot the entire deal and rated it MA-13, even though EB had arguably more 'mature' material in it. If it were out now, it'd likely get a general-audience rating. KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

phyco126
Dragonmaster

Post by phyco126 »

Not that I have anything useful to add to the whole thread, but I think that you deserve a pat on the back. Seriously, actually judgeing and asking for help for judgeing if a game is appropiate for a younger audenciance is really a big step, and shows at least part of your maturity in judgement. Which, is more than most parents can say (at least, in the context of buying a bloody game for their child, then sueing the maker later.)

- "Sometimes life smiles when it kicks you down. The trick is to smile back."

Rune Lai
Bromide Hunter

Post by Rune Lai »

In today's climate it would probably be rated E10+ or T. I'd lean towards T though since it seems to be relatively common rating for the average RPG (of which TSS is a fair representative of). The skimpy Althena outfit, WD-styled language/humor, mild suggestive situations, the "blood" coming out from Ghaleon's eyes just before he transforms, would probably nudge it over the edge.

It would be highly unlikely to get an E rating because of the fact you still have characters attacking each other with weapons. It might be bloodless, but it's still violence.
You have taught us the pity to live.
But I will not forget the beauty of life itself.
--Hyuui Riin, Phantasy Star II
-- http://www.sabrecat.net/ --

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

Though, there are hardly any glimpses of Dark Althena in that game, and the bathing springs are a lot more benign too. You do see Xenobia in her introduction.

I'd say that most of the humor is such that it will go unnoticed by people who don't already have the referents. A few lines with Kyle, maybe. I don't recall it being as up-front as in the later games.

Aaron
Blue Dragon Ninja

Post by Aaron »

1) How old are they?

2) Would you feel comfortable sharing it with your own younger family members (sisters, brothers, cousins)

3) Lastly and most importantly, what do their parents allow? Never overstep the parents authority.

In my personal opinion I don't see anything wrong with it, but I definately would not go to any of the baths. Plus depending on their personal religion there are a lot of satanic symbols in the game. Not to mention the animated violence and the pool of Ghaleon blood. So, if they're Christian (or any other type of religion that is against that sort of stuff) I'd watch out for that. Remember while your babysitting your the guardian. Your job is to protect them from everything.

Agawa
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Agawa »

Aaron wrote:3) Lastly and most importantly, what do their parents allow? Never overstep the parents authority.

I've already discussed this with their mother- she has a good idea of what's going on, and I'm going to talk to her more about this thread and probably show her a picture of Dark Althena's outfit just in case. I don't think she'll have problems with it though- they play the Sims, which, at least in some of the expansion packs has some fairly (jokingly) risque stuff. (Vibrating love bed, for example, lingerie...)

In either case, she'll be the one making the decision, not me. Besides, I'm going to be playing it with them - I'm not lending it to them, I'll be bringing the disc with me everytime, so I'll have a fair amount of control over it. Not only that, but I've been babysitting these two for three years now, and I've known them for longer, so I have a fairly good sense of judgement about what is and is not appropriate for them.

Alunissage wrote:Though, there are hardly any glimpses of Dark Althena in that game, and the bathing springs are a lot more benign too. You do see Xenobia in her introduction.

I'd say that most of the humor is such that it will go unnoticed by people who don't already have the referents. A few lines with Kyle, maybe. I don't recall it being as up-front as in the later games.

That's pretty much what I was thinking, but it's nice to have it confirmed. My reasoning for going with TSS instead of SSSC is mainly due to the risque material in the latter, but I don't think TSS should be a problem, and I can't see them getting any obsure sexual references.

Thank you all very much for responding, it helped greatly.

YoungDyne
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by YoungDyne »

It's been a while since I played this part of the game, and I doubt it matters anymore but...

Potential SPOILER? (can't remember how to tag it)

At the end when you save Luna and after Alex shouts one of his only lines...isn't she naked or close to it when she says "...you...ahhhh!" and then alex is holding her in some kind of a blanket after? I can't remember if it's just the Dark Althena outfit that made me think "Mother would probably think there's too much skin here" when I first played it back in 93 or 94.

Not sure if that counts as a spoiler, but hey...just in case.