what should i do

For discussion of Lunar: The Silver Star, the original game for the Sega CD
Silentcrisis
BANNED
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

what should i do

Post by Silentcrisis »

im debating about wether i should buy a sega saturn to play the origonal games even though iv alredy played the remakes or buy a gamboy advance and play lunar legend

GhaleonOne
Ghost From The Past

Post by GhaleonOne »

Er, the Sega Saturn had the <b>remakes</b> on it first. You would need a Sega Genesis/Sega CD to play the originals. The remakes were ported to the Playstation from the Sega Saturn, so you'd be getting the wrong system. They're certainly worth it, and you can probably find a Genesis/Sega CD combo for fairly cheap. Even TSS and EB don't go for as much these days.
-G1

ilovemyguitar
Legendary Hero

Post by ilovemyguitar »

If you can't find a good working Sega CD, you can download an emulator 100% legally that can play Sega CD games (I reccomend Gens). You just have to actually get a copy of the games yourself, as it's not legal to download these.

The only real downfall of going this route is that often the animated sequences don't come out exactly correctly on emulators. They're not unwatchable by any means, but I know that when I played the Lunar games on Gens, the animation would go slightly faster than the audio track, and it would end up with a poorly-dubbed look. But then, if you've played the PSX versions of the games, then that shouldn't be too much of a problem anyway, since you already know more or less what happens.

GhaleonOne
Ghost From The Past

Post by GhaleonOne »

Totally forgot about using an emulator.

To be honest, I never noticed anything different using an emulator with either Lunar. That's how I took all the Sega CD screens.
-G1

Kizyr
Keeper of Knowledge (probationary)

Post by Kizyr »

You likely shouldn't be saying it's 100% legal unless you can explain the legitimacy of BIOS software and all that. Although Sega CD emulation isn't a concern since the system itself is long-since dead, saying it's 100% legal implies a level of confidence that maybe one or two people on these boards might should have. KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

DevNall
Blue Dragon Ninja

Post by DevNall »

Interestingly, I do believe emulation of no-longer-manufactured systems has been given an exemption under DMCA laws.

EDIT: However, legally speaking, you still need to own an actual copy of the SegaCD game(s).

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

Hey, no one was saying or even implying that owning the actual games was optional. It isn't "legally speaking", it's the way it is. The emulators run off the actual discs anyway; it's not like a cart game where you can't use the original media with the emu.

Kizyr

Post by Kizyr »

Alunissage wrote:Hey, no one was saying or even implying that owning the actual games was optional. It isn't "legally speaking", it's the way it is. The emulators run off the actual discs anyway; it's not like a cart game where you can't use the original media with the emu.

Not quite. You can use ISOs to run Sega CD games as well.
That's why talking about exchanging ISOs on the forums ends up getting a thread closed very quickly. KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

I didn't say the emus run exclusively off game discs. I know they can use ISOs. But my point was that it shouldn't be necessary to say that you should own the games "legally speaking" because since it's possible to play the original game discs with emulators one shouldn't even consider playing the games without the original discs. The existence of the emulator and its capability to play from a copy does not relieve one of the responsibility of using original media.

Silentcrisis
BANNED

Post by Silentcrisis »

where can i download this emulator

and where can i download a copy of the game for the emulator, since its not legal im not gonna doit iim just curious is all :wink:

Kizyr

Post by Kizyr »

You're already on bad terms.

Do you want to give me an excuse to ban you? I'm looking for one. KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

Sonic#
Pao Tribe Chieftain

Post by Sonic# »

Silentcrisis wrote:where can i download this emulator

and where can i download a copy of the game for the emulator, since its not legal im not gonna doit iim just curious is all :wink:

To point out very briefly, the reason we don't allow any exchange of info along those lines here is not that you MIGHT do it. It's that any presentation of the info here, physically on the boards, is a bad showing on the board itself.

That being said, don't request something that shouldn't be provided. No matter what reason you have for doing so (even for the cat-maimer, curiosity), you will get less than you bargained for and more than you wanted. In other words, it will be a violation of the rules. :wink:
Sonic#

"Than seyde Merlion, "Whethir lyke ye bettir the swerde othir the scawberde?" "I lyke bettir the swerde," seyde Arthure. "Ye ar the more unwyse, for the scawberde ys worth ten of the swerde; for whyles ye have the scawberde uppon you, ye shall lose no blood, be ye never so sore wounded. Therefore kepe well the scawberde allweyes with you." --- Le Morte Darthur, Sir Thomas Malory

"Just as you touch the energy of every life form you meet, so, too, will will their energy strengthen you. Fail to live up to your potential, and you will never win. " --- The Old Man at the End of Time

Silentcrisis
BANNED

Post by Silentcrisis »

well since the emulators legal can u point me in that direction
and ill just buy the game

Dragonmaster Lou
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Dragonmaster Lou »

Silentcrisis wrote:well since the emulators legal can u point me in that direction
and ill just buy the game

I assume just posting a link to an emu discussion/link site is okay. I hope so at least...

<a href="http://www.zophar.net">Zophar's Domain</a> is the place to go to find emulator information as well as links to various emulators. If memory serves me correctly, the guy who started that site was one of the old-school members of the Lunar mailing list back in the day...
"Guts can turn a 30% chance into a 100% chance!" - Taiga Kohtarou
Personal home page: http://www.techhouse.org/~lou
Lunar page: http://www.techhouse.org/~lou/lunar/
AMV page: http://www.tealstudios.com

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

This sort of thing, of course, is why it's just as well to imply that you can *only* use the original game disc in the emulator. ;)

Kizyr

Post by Kizyr »

Dragonmaster Lou wrote:<a href="http://www.zophar.net">Zophar's Domain</a> is the place to go to find emulator information as well as links to various emulators. If memory serves me correctly, the guy who started that site was one of the old-school members of the Lunar mailing list back in the day...

Zophar's Domain is fine, because they provide links to software (most if not all open-source) but nothing about games.

Yeah, the Zophar behind ZD was one of the old-school Lunar fans. I always enjoyed that fact. KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

Dragonmaster Lou
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Dragonmaster Lou »

Kizyr wrote:Zophar's Domain is fine, because they provide links to software (most if not all open-source) but nothing about games.

Yeah, the Zophar behind ZD was one of the old-school Lunar fans. I always enjoyed that fact. KF

I'm also mildly amused that the original poster is going to seek "help" from "Zophar" in order to play the old Lunar games. :)
"Guts can turn a 30% chance into a 100% chance!" - Taiga Kohtarou
Personal home page: http://www.techhouse.org/~lou
Lunar page: http://www.techhouse.org/~lou/lunar/
AMV page: http://www.tealstudios.com