September US sales

For discussion of Lunar: Dragon Song (Lunar: Genesis), the only Lunar game on the DS
drumlord
Black Dragon Wizard
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

September US sales

Post by drumlord »

This comes from NPD which isn't perfect. They don't cover every last retailer and I believe it's only US, not all of NA.

Lunar:DS sold 9,669 copies in September. Considering that and the Japanese numbers, I do not foresee another Lunar in the near future. But I'm guessing they probably only need to sell 30-40k worldwide to make up costs (except for Ubi's ads perhaps). So if they at least break even, there's at least a chance we'll see another one.
-Rich-

Angelalex242
Legendary Hero

Post by Angelalex242 »

Can't say I'm shocked this one didn't sell well.

When a game annoys its hardcore audience, those who are not so devoted to the series won't even bother.
Don't blame me, Lucia promised me lots of snuggles and cuddles if I would be her PR guy.

DevNall
Blue Dragon Ninja

Post by DevNall »

Maybe some people are waiting for the holidays?

Is that just through September 31st? Some places I looked said they wouldn't have in until October 1st or so...

That being said, what'd Legend sell?

Jyd3n
Red Dragon Priest

Post by Jyd3n »

Well maybe Lunar DS is a late bloomer, i mean it's only been out two weeks now. there's still plenty of time for people to find out that a new Lunar has been released, besides it's ratings weren't the worst i've seen. There's still hope for us all and a Lunar 3

Kizyr
Keeper of Knowledge (probationary)

Post by Kizyr »

DevNall wrote:Is that just through September 31st? Some places I looked said they wouldn't have in until October 1st or so...

Actually, it doesn't include September 31st. On September 31st, Lunar: DS sold 8000 more copies. KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

GhaleonOne
Ghost From The Past

Post by GhaleonOne »

[spoilers]Actually, it doesn't include September 31st. On September 31st, Lunar: DS sold 8000 more copies. KF[/spoilers]

Huh? How'd you get this information?

Wait.

There was no September 31st. Still, 8000 more copies? Trying to play people Kiz? :P
-G1

DevNall
Blue Dragon Ninja

Post by DevNall »

I was about to say something about this and then I realized I'd written it... :? I guess that's what happens when you're discussing Halloween plans in another window. But at-least it made for a good laugh.

Hm, I wonder how many copies Castlevania will sell.

Sonic#
Pao Tribe Chieftain

Post by Sonic# »

I actually bought my copy of Lunar: DS in October, so it's not impossible that sales will pick up. Still... the numbers aren't encouraging. >_<
Sonic#

"Than seyde Merlion, "Whethir lyke ye bettir the swerde othir the scawberde?" "I lyke bettir the swerde," seyde Arthure. "Ye ar the more unwyse, for the scawberde ys worth ten of the swerde; for whyles ye have the scawberde uppon you, ye shall lose no blood, be ye never so sore wounded. Therefore kepe well the scawberde allweyes with you." --- Le Morte Darthur, Sir Thomas Malory

"Just as you touch the energy of every life form you meet, so, too, will will their energy strengthen you. Fail to live up to your potential, and you will never win. " --- The Old Man at the End of Time

GhaleonOne
Ghost From The Past

Post by GhaleonOne »

The downside of things are that those numbers likely included preorder sales. At least, I assume so. Rich, any clue?
-G1

Rune Lai
Bromide Hunter

Post by Rune Lai »

The game released... what... September 21st? 24th? I can't remember anymore. Just remember the 9000 copies are only a few days' worth of sales, not really a whole month's worth. I wouldn't call an end to it yet.

I would not bet on 30-40k sales worldwide being the break even point though. Those numbers are abysmal. If Lunar DS doesn't hit 30-40k just the US alone I would be surprised if Ubisoft didn't drop it like a hot potato. I think at 60k they might still consider doing another installment, given that the DS's install base is still young.

By the way, there is NPD data for Canada as well, but it's not mixed in with the US data. It's a separate set of figures.
You have taught us the pity to live.
But I will not forget the beauty of life itself.
--Hyuui Riin, Phantasy Star II
-- http://www.sabrecat.net/ --

DevNall
Blue Dragon Ninja

Post by DevNall »

Just saw the RPGamer review. Is it just me, or do the reviews seem notably worse than the previews?

GhaleonOne
Ghost From The Past

Post by GhaleonOne »

Rune, it came out on the 27th, but noone had it in until at least the 28th. It seems almost all WalMarts and Best Buys, among other places, didn't get it in until the 30th or 1st. Even later in some places. I think even some GameStops and EBGames didn't even get it in until the 1st.
-G1

Angelalex242
Legendary Hero

Post by Angelalex242 »

The problems with the game are such that word of mouth is only doing damage, and not helping the game at all.

Then again, I also firmly believe they have nobody to blame but themselves for the sales.

Would it have killed them to let you target enemies? Was it that big a bug in the code they just couldn't fix? Were they really that deadset on breaking equipment? Did it really add anything to the story?

These guys just flat out hanged themselves with bad choices.
Don't blame me, Lucia promised me lots of snuggles and cuddles if I would be her PR guy.

drumlord
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by drumlord »

Rune Lai wrote:I would not bet on 30-40k sales worldwide being the break even point though.

They may sound abysmal, but at 40k sales, that would be roughly $1.5M (the NPD numbers reflect that most places are selling it for $40). Take out a good chunk of that for retail, distribution, licensing, printing, and advertising, and you should still be above the average cost of developing a DS game, which is $344,000.
-Rich-

GhaleonOne
Ghost From The Past

Post by GhaleonOne »

How much is UbiSoft's cost though. That's the question. They did a lot of advertising online, and I know there's three magazine advertisements for it.
-G1

DevNall
Blue Dragon Ninja

Post by DevNall »

drumlord wrote:you should still be above the average cost of developing a DS game, which is $344,000.

That's average cost. Considering this was likely biased towards early DS games, and looking at some of the other DS games that have come out, I wouldn't be surprised if Lunar: Genesis cost a good bit more than that to make.

MiaOne
Dragonmaster

Post by MiaOne »

I'm not surprised...DS was freakin' annoying. But, I hope to god Ubi doesn't drop it and I hope we get a Four Heroes Story at least.

They made some very bad choices for this game though...very bad. I was at EB Game yesterday though and there was only one copy left of Lunar: DS so that looks promising...then again I don't know how many they had in...
Lunar: Dragon Song sucked

Nicole Reannin Elgan-Moore
We will always remember...

DevNall
Blue Dragon Ninja

Post by DevNall »

MiaOne wrote:I'm not surprised...DS was freakin' annoying. But, I hope to god Ubi doesn't drop it and I hope we get a Four Heroes Story at least.

They made some very bad choices for this game though...very bad. I was at EB Game yesterday though and there was only one copy left of Lunar: DS so that looks promising...then again I don't know how many they had in...

But on the other hand, how many sales did it get just because it was essentially the only DS RPG available?

I want Four Heroes Story too, but preferably with different battle mechanics.

MiaOne
Dragonmaster

Post by MiaOne »

DevNall wrote:
I want Four Heroes Story too, but preferably with different battle mechanics.

Agreed. I hope they learned their lesson...what a horrible lesson to put us through.
Lunar: Dragon Song sucked

Nicole Reannin Elgan-Moore
We will always remember...

Fangarius
Burg Farmer

Post by Fangarius »

Personally, I hope GameArts and Ubisoft have learned from the error of their flaws in LDS and hopefully will remedy them if they make another Lunar game for the DS.

Currently I believe the game sold mainly because it IS the only true RPG game for the DS (until Mario & Luigi 2 and Xenosaga I & II come out). And I'm curious to as why they decided to eliminate the targeting system, because someone told me at E3, the demo version DID have a targeting system in it (but I'm only going by hearsay, so please don't hold me to this), and the only other thing I was annoyed with was the durability factor put on the armor and weapons, without offering some type of repair item or facility that could mend them or upgrade them in the long run.

But hey, Lunar did sell, despite some of its drawbacks and as I aforementioned, if GA and Ubisoft do decide to make another series, to remedy these flaws and focus a bit more on the storyline. :roll: