More discrepancies! (sp?) SSSC spoilers I guess.

For discussion of Lunar: Dragon Song (Lunar: Genesis), the only Lunar game on the DS
Mychael216
Meribian Merchant
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

More discrepancies! (sp?) SSSC spoilers I guess.

Post by Mychael216 »

I just finished DS last night and I was playing through SSSC again this morning and I got up to the part where you're talking to the Blue Dragon and he gets snatched. Well, Nash happens to say that Althena banished the Vile tribe 500 years ago. However, DS takes place 1000 years before SSSC. The time does not add up. The only possible explaination is that Althena banished the Vile Tribe a second time. I just found this to be interesting...[/list]

DaWrestla
Red Dragon Priest

Post by DaWrestla »

That is interesting. In DS (I don't remember) does it say that Althena banished the Vile Tribe to the frontier before DS actually started?

Yeah, I guess it would mean that they were banished again. Which would mean they remained kind of peaceful for awhile.
Vaporized before my eyes

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

I had the impression that they weren't confined there, though, since normally they'd be able to go across the bridge. It seems more likely to me that they were socially shoved over there because they were working on black magic and shouldn't be near other people. Or that the Beast King had something to do with it, as he and Ignatius seem to have some hostility. (Or so I gather from other comments, etc., etc.)

Shiva Indis
White Dragon Knight

Post by Shiva Indis »

The 500 years ago banishment is mentioned in TSS, and its good to know that it stayed in SSS, but I don't find it particularly contradictory. Provided that we assume some of the details given in TSS still apply.

There's nothing about banishment in the TSS Magic Empire legend, and it assumes that the Vile Tribe, which is vaugely linked to Magic Empire, is scattered across the world after the flood. Otherwise they wouldn't be able to terrorise the people until they beg the Goddess to banish them. (Couldn't this narrow down the period in which Walking School/Magic School could take place?)

One of the loose ends in Lunar DS is what will become of the Vile Tribe now that they've been organized? I suppose we should assume that at least some of them will leave the Frontier so that the banishment can take place.
「まあいいけど。」

Mychael216
Meribian Merchant

Post by Mychael216 »

Fair enough. I do have one other problem though. In DS the Frontier is to the south-southwest-ish. In SSSC, I remember the Frontier being in the Northern regions. Now, I know that the land masses do shift in 1000 years, as can be seen by the SSSC-EBC transition. But do you really think that it could move that far? Maybe I'm just being to nit-picky...

DevNall
Blue Dragon Ninja

Post by DevNall »

Mychael216 wrote:Fair enough. I do have one other problem though. In DS the Frontier is to the south-southwest-ish. In SSSC, I remember the Frontier being in the Northern regions. Now, I know that the land masses do shift in 1000 years, as can be seen by the SSSC-EBC transition.

The land mass changes in SSSC/EBC aren't as major as you'd think. I agree with some of the others on the board here, likely the sea level changed.

As for the Frontier, in TSS it would appear to be to the southeast. However, Lunar is round, so things wrap around meaning it's certainly possible that *HEAD EXPLODES*

DaWrestla
Red Dragon Priest

Post by DaWrestla »

LMFAO!

But yes, the frontier thing kinda bugged me. I remember it being in the Southeast in SSSC. I just started replaying it yesterday so we'll see what happens.
Vaporized before my eyes

GhaleonOne
Ghost From The Past

Post by GhaleonOne »

I still think the Frontier is east of Pao, and not southeast. Reason being the legends of the Black Dragon and the people in either Tamur or Pao saying the insane Black Dragon caused that giant rift in the ground between Tamur and Pao. If the Black Dragon Cave was in the Frontier, it would make no sense that he tore up the ground way up near Pao if the Frontier was way to the southeast of that.
-G1

Kizyr
Keeper of Knowledge (probationary)

Post by Kizyr »

I find the 500-years-ago banishment to be distinct from what happened in DS. With DS, there wasn't any real banishment of the entire tribe; more like they voluntarily lived there to escape Althena's reach.

The entire deal with the Magic Empire, the flood, and Vane rising... that happened 500 years ago. But what we see in DS is the very beginning of the Vile Tribe; not the rise of the Magic Empire.

Shiva Indis wrote:There's nothing about banishment in the TSS Magic Empire legend, and it assumes that the Vile Tribe, which is vaugely linked to Magic Empire, is scattered across the world after the flood. Otherwise they wouldn't be able to terrorise the people until they beg the Goddess to banish them. (Couldn't this narrow down the period in which Walking School/Magic School could take place?)

Oh definitely! I'm of the opinion that it occurs about 400 years before TSS (actual range could be perhaps 200 to 500). I get the indication that Vane is entirely afloat in the sky, and the Vile Tribe has been banished to the Frontier. But, I'd have to play through it all and scan every bit of dialogue (which I haven't had the time to do in almost a year) to check on that. KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

No, the Empire, flood, and Vane's rise were 1000 years ago, though the sealing was 500 years ago. At least according to G1's timeline. The screenshots provided don't specify the time, though. There are multiple quotes dating Vane as 1000 years old. I'll have to dig through the text dumps to see if the flood is actually specified as happening then.

Kizyr
Keeper of Knowledge (probationary)

Post by Kizyr »

Alunissage wrote:No, the Empire, flood, and Vane's rise were 1000 years ago, though the sealing was 500 years ago. At least according to G1's timeline. The screenshots provided don't specify the time, though. There are multiple quotes dating Vane as 1000 years old. I'll have to dig through the text dumps to see if the flood is actually specified as happening then.

Vane's definitely 1000 years old. The flood and Magic Empire I could've sworn were about 500 years prior to TSS. My memory is a little hazy on the subject, so I'd grant some leeway if I saw it.

Finding the exact text would be nice. KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

DevNall
Blue Dragon Ninja

Post by DevNall »

I searched through the game text; Vane is 1000 years old, but none of the references to 1000 or 500 seemed to be refering to the Magic Empire. No references to flood, here are the only references to tears (aside from the spell name):

LONG AGO, THE WORLD HAD MORE MANA THAN IT DOES TODAY.
AT THAT TIME, THE WORLD WAS RULED BY A GIANT MAGIC EMPIRE...
THE MAGIC EMPIRE REVOLTED AGAINST THE GODDESS ALTHENA, TRYING TO CONQUER THE WORLD.
THE DEEDS OF THE MAGIC EMPIRE SADDENED ALTHENA.
HER TEARS FELL FOR 7 DAYS AND NIGHTS,
PURIFYING THE WORLD AND CRUSHING THE EMPIRE.
WHERE ARE THE EMPIRE'S RUINS TODAY? NO ONE KNOWS FOR SURE...
THE GODDESS' TEARS CAUSED VANE TO RISE INTO THE SKY, ESCAPING THE DELUGE.

MiaOne
Dragonmaster

Post by MiaOne »

Is that from EB/EBC? I know that in TSS it gives specific "so and so years ago this happened..."

I was under the impression that Vane rose and the flood happened 1000 year prior to TSS/SSSC and The Vile Tribe banishment and Magic Empire was 500 years prior...then again in TSS doesn't it talk about a Magic Emperor JUST BEFORE Dyne who drove the Black Dragon insane?
Lunar: Dragon Song sucked

Nicole Reannin Elgan-Moore
We will always remember...

Dragonmaster Lou
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Dragonmaster Lou »

MiaOne wrote:Is that from EB/EBC? I know that in TSS it gives specific "so and so years ago this happened..."

I was under the impression that Vane rose and the flood happened 1000 year prior to TSS/SSSC and The Vile Tribe banishment and Magic Empire was 500 years prior...then again in TSS doesn't it talk about a Magic Emperor JUST BEFORE Dyne who drove the Black Dragon insane?

I don't think the reason for the Black Dragon's insanity was ever stated in TSS.
"Guts can turn a 30% chance into a 100% chance!" - Taiga Kohtarou
Personal home page: http://www.techhouse.org/~lou
Lunar page: http://www.techhouse.org/~lou/lunar/
AMV page: http://www.tealstudios.com

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

The quotes above are from TSS.

I also don't think any reason for the Black Dragon's insanity is given. It does say (in Damon's library?) that when Althena was weakened, an evil sorcerer summoned a demigod. I think it says this is what the Four Heroes fought.

MiaOne
Dragonmaster

Post by MiaOne »

Alunissage wrote:The quotes above are from TSS.

I also don't think any reason for the Black Dragon's insanity is given. It does say (in Damon's library?) that when Althena was weakened, an evil sorcerer summoned a demigod. I think it says this is what the Four Heroes fought.

Oooooh yea! I believe you are right. I remember that now.
Lunar: Dragon Song sucked

Nicole Reannin Elgan-Moore
We will always remember...