The Giant Legend

For discussion of Lunar: Dragon Song (Lunar: Genesis), the only Lunar game on the DS
MiaOne
Dragonmaster
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

The Giant Legend

Post by MiaOne »

Isn't the myth they use in DS of the Giant striking a deal with Althena that if he could build a huge temple with 100 steps in one night he would rule the world also used in Lunar: Legend? It seemed very familiar to me for some reason...
Lunar: Dragon Song sucked

Nicole Reannin Elgan-Moore
We will always remember...

DaWrestla
Red Dragon Priest

Post by DaWrestla »

I haven't played LL, so to me that whole backstory was like "whaaaa?"
Vaporized before my eyes

Angelalex242
Legendary Hero

Post by Angelalex242 »

I thought that was actually something the White Dragon made up as part of the Dragonmaster trial. Not the most honest guy, that White Dragon.

"And if you believe this one, there's a bridge for sale..."
Don't blame me, Lucia promised me lots of snuggles and cuddles if I would be her PR guy.

DevNall
Blue Dragon Ninja

Post by DevNall »

I don't remember any such a story in Legend, but it may just not have struck me as anything interesting. Where in Legend do you remember hearing that, any idea?

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

I don't recall it from Legend or anywhere else, either. But the White Dragon isn't making up the story as part of the trial; I think Jian and Lucia talk about the legend if you go to the White Dragon cave and examine the extra step (Lucia says something about Jian knowing all sorts of stuff).

Angelalex242
Legendary Hero

Post by Angelalex242 »

Just because Jian knew about it in advance, doesn't mean the White Dragon didn't make it up.

The White Dragon might've made this story up a thousand or more years ago...in which case, naturally Jian (and even Gaby) have heard of it. He is, after all, immortal.

The other equally likely idea is that the Giant is Gideon. The Legend does say banished to the Fronteir, and there's no other giants of note living there.
Don't blame me, Lucia promised me lots of snuggles and cuddles if I would be her PR guy.

MiaOne
Dragonmaster

Post by MiaOne »

I need to replay Legend. I swear this came up in another Lunar...But I don't think it was TSS/SSSC or EB/EBC. Gideon would definitely make sense here.

I just think I had heard this before because I remember when I FIRST heard of it I thought about that picture in the SSSC booklet of the rather tall old man with the gold chains who had Luna floating to his side and Alex (as a Dragonmaster) in front of him ready to fight and Kyle comotose on the stairs. I guess I thought about that image because it appeared to have a lot of stairs to it :P

Maybe I'm imaginging things though...I'm going crazy if I am.

DaWrestla
Red Dragon Priest

Post by DaWrestla »

Sounds...ummm...sound to me.
Vaporized before my eyes

Silver Phoenix
Bromide Hunter

Post by Silver Phoenix »

I don't recall anything regarding a giant making a deal with Althena, and especially something dealing with stairs. I still haven't even had a chance to start playing DS, phucking school! You people better find the source of this reference, because it's gonna bug us all.

DaWrestla
Red Dragon Priest

Post by DaWrestla »

Meh, this whole giant thing seems a reference to Ghideon to me, and as a whole it's a legend that dies out after the DS timeframe. No biggies to worry about at all, here.

Just because it's a legend doesn't make it true (though RPGs are an exception to this rule)
Vaporized before my eyes

Shiva Indis
White Dragon Knight

Post by Shiva Indis »

MiaOne wrote:I just think I had heard this before because I remember when I FIRST heard of it I thought about that picture in the SSSC booklet of the rather tall old man with the gold chains who had Luna floating to his side and Alex (as a Dragonmaster) in front of him ready to fight and Kyle comotose on the stairs. I guess I thought about that image because it appeared to have a lot of stairs to it :P

Maybe I'm imaginging things though...I'm going crazy if I am.

I wish I get confirmation on when that picture was drawn... The first time I saw it I wondered if it wasn't the inspiration for Zophar's Coloseum. But Satou probably drew it while working on SSS.
「まあいいけど。」

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

Do you have the SSS artbook? It's on page 136, with some commentary. There are a LOT of bizarre Satou drawings in that section, which don't make any sense to me. Some are pretty funny, though...like the one of an ancient dragon on heaps of treasure, with Dragonmaster Alex standing in front of him while Kyle and Mia scramble up debris behind him. Except that the treasure is books, and the dragon looks slightly annoyed at being interrupted while reading the one in his hand/claw. The real ? moment comes when you realize that the pile Mia is scrambling over is topped by computer monitors, and there's an oversized floppy disk in the foreground.

So, um, if anyone could make some sense of these it'd be great. :o

Shiva Indis
White Dragon Knight

Post by Shiva Indis »

I do have that artbook, and I happen to have it at arm's reach at the moment. :D All of those drawings are really creative, and most of them are really dynamic and exciting-looking. I really like the image of the dragon on the mounds of books and such, but the comment isn't enlightening at all.

However, the comment for the picture MiaOne mentioned is very, VERY interesting, so I translated it. Good fanfic fodder.

"[Alex] confronts another god and the 'Prison of the Gods'. The god completed his duty, and was sealed away. In order to create a world of his own once again, he tries to change places with Althena. To escape the 'Prison of the Gods', he must lock another god away in the prison in his place. (Quoted from the art board's explanation.) We can tell from this art board that this one, too, was drawn before the game's production [began]. Reading the explanation of this art board, it might give rise to some major 'Lunar' epsiode."

(Kizyr, I wonder if you could shed any light in the last sentence of this paragraph? この美術ボードの説明を読むと、何か「ルナ」の大きなエピソードさえ生まれてきてしまう。I don't know what to make of this usage of sae.)
「まあいいけど。」

Kizyr
Keeper of Knowledge (probationary)

Post by Kizyr »

Shiva Indis wrote:(Kizyr, I wonder if you could shed any light in the last sentence of this paragraph? この美術ボードの説明を読むと、何か「ルナ」の大きなエピソードさえ生まれてきてしまう。I don't know what to make of this usage of sae.)

Sounds like the writer's really definitive about there being another major Lunar episode based on that. Like "it'll at least give rise to some major Lunar episode." The meaning of 'episode' is what I think's pretty variable... could be meaning something in comic, novella, or doujin form.

Lemme hold off on being certain about that 'til I see it in context. I'll see if I have time to check the artbook myself once I get home tonight. KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

knuckles90
Lostest Boy

Post by knuckles90 »

Yeah i kept gettin caught on that part of the stairs where you place the step and i was really getting annoyed...Yeah so it kinda made we wonder wait why isnt there a step here. And then the story came up and i was like ohhhhh...

MiaOne
Dragonmaster

Post by MiaOne »

Oh thank you so much for translating that Shiva! Very interesting indeed.

knuckles90
Lostest Boy

Post by knuckles90 »

The white dragon is a riot i laughed at all of his lies and then i felt dumb cause he died...and i was sad...