Dragonmaster.......... (spoilers)

For discussion of Lunar: Dragon Song (Lunar: Genesis), the only Lunar game on the DS
Monde Luna
Blue Dragon Ninja
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

Dragonmaster.......... (spoilers)

Post by Monde Luna »

Please don't read the spoiler unless you have finished the game(or you want to be spoiled).

[spoiler] Just how is it possible to have two dragonmasters at the same time? How is it possible for someone like Ignatius to have passed all the dragons trials? This part of the story really bothered me especially since the dragons made it seem like once you passed the trial it was the end for them... I don't know I have a lot of problems with the story now that I've finished the game...

Lucia/Althena's character seemed overall to be weak. I know in DS you don't see Althena verbally professing her love for Jian and you don't see both sides of their relationship AS MUCH as you do with Luna/Alex, however DS just kind of cheapened Althena's motives for staying human and dying with Alex. (in my opinion) Acutally I better stop complaining, I do want this game to sell well and it's worth buying. Especially when we thing about the possible Four Heros game or Lunar 3. I have faith the future games can live up to our expactations. [/spoiler]

DevNall
Blue Dragon Ninja

Re: Dragonmaster.......... (spoilers)

Post by DevNall »

[spoiler]I'm thinking, based on the conversation with the Red Dragon, that Ingatius did not have to put them down -- instead, Jain had to defeat the dragons because they would not willingly allow him to pass their trials when there was another dragon master.

And I agree, it sort of cheapens Lunar 1 (or the other way around), atleast if you're following the remake storyline.[/spoiler]

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

[spoiler]Yup, agreed on all points - initial illogic, probable explanation, weakening. Though...is Jian actually called a dragonmaster, or does he just tell Ignatius that he doesn't want to be one? And yeah, it seems odd that Ig would have been able to conceal his intent that well, especially given all that from the dragons about knowing oneself and fighting inner evil and whatnot. I dunno, maybe Althena just felt sorry for Jian going to all that effort for someone who really didn't exist and only stayed after the need for her to be human had passed (with Ignatius out of the picture) out of sympathy. Was she only human for the year that Jian knew her? Is there any indication that she cares about him to the extent that Luna cared about Alex? Though come to think of it, I don't think Luna's emotions were shown as much in SSSC as in TSS, in which she actually calls Alex her love.[/spoiler]

Shiva Indis
White Dragon Knight

Post by Shiva Indis »

[spoiler]There are a lot of things about Ignatius that I think we should have known, but they didn't get fleshed out.

My speculation: Ignatius undertook the dragon trials with a pure heart and pure intentions, but at some later point his frustration with Althena led him to forsake her.

The game seems to hold Zethos and Ignatius up as foils to each other. (Both were trying to improve the lives of the people of Lunar, though Ignatius' intentions became warped ove time.) I hoped all through the second half of the game that I'd hear about some history between them, and from there, what lead Ignatius to betray Althena, but it never happened. But then again, if they did go there, it'd probably just be another Lunar 1 co-op.

As for Lucia, the end of the game makes it clear that simply existing causes suffering for Althena. It's quite possible, even likely, that the Lucia that appears at the end of the game is just as ignorant of her true nature as the prior version, because Althena wouldn't want to deal with the knowledge. Also, this game demonstrates that physical death has little meaning to her. I imagine Jian and Lucia living out their lives together in relative peace and obscurity, with Althena returning to her tower after Lucia's death.[/spoiler]
「まあいいけど。」

Angelalex242
Legendary Hero

Post by Angelalex242 »

[spoiler]As for Two Dragonmasters...remember Alicia and Laticia? Mentioned in books in Vane? Twin Dragonmasters? It's not only possible to have two, it's possible to have two females on the same side.

Actually, it's possible to pass the trials of the Dragons without having a pure heart. All the dragons note how pure Jian is...and how unlike Ignatius. In the Dragon Song era, purity was NOT a prerequisite for becoming Dragonmaster. It was only later made a pre-requisite by the next batch of Dragons. (Quark and co) who didn't want a repeat of the mistakes of their ancestors. Hence the Black Dragon's Trial in SSSC.

So, Ignatius was never pure from the get go...he just demonstrated determination, seeing the truth, being able to conquer himself (which is merely a matter of strategy), and wisdom to the dragons, each in turn. ...Ya know, Zophar probably could've passed the Dragon Song Dragon Trials, if he felt like it would do his plans good. (For the black dragon...well, Zophar's a God. He can certainly outstrategize his double as controlled by the far less experienced Black Dragon)

Lastly...if Lucia didn't keep her memories as Althena...then. We likely have the following scenario happening at least once.

Somebody ELSE who knows she's Althena TELLS her she's Althena...her memories come back...then she has to wipe herself all over again, this time strictly ordering Jian to NOT LET anyone else tell her who she is. (Even sadder, of course, if Jian himself accidentally lets it slip. OOPS! "Yeah, honey, this is your anniversary of becoming mortal from Althena..." "...You weren't supposed to TELL ME THAT! Damnit, now I've gotta wipe my memories all over again...")[/spoiler]
Don't blame me, Lucia promised me lots of snuggles and cuddles if I would be her PR guy.

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

[spoiler]I'm sure if she's wiping her own memory she can do something to make him keep his mouth shut first. I just doubt that things would be that slipshod.

What's your meaning with "two females on the same side"? Sounds vaguely insulting (especially with your repeated questions, as if other Lunar fans wouldn't remember). Anyway, Alicia and Laticia were clearly a different case, although we don't know how exactly it worked. But a) they were working together and presumably became co-Dragonmasters at the same time, rather than one competing with the other, and b) as you point out, it was a different batch of dragons, who evidently didn't have the problem with duplicate dragonmasters that the first four did.[/spoiler]

Shiva Indis
White Dragon Knight

Post by Shiva Indis »

[spoiler]Angelaalex, you assume that Ignatius' trials were the same as Jian's. That's a lot to assume.

Quotes from the dragons support that Ignatius fell after taking the dragon trials.

Black Dragon: "Remaining strong in the face of such pressure shall be your hardest task. You must not submit, as Ignatius has!"

Blue Dragon: "Like Igantius, you may pass this Trial and receive great wisdom, but forget your purity and succumb to vanity or desire, and you will end up turning that wisdom to evil!"

Jian never cared what Lucia's true form was - it almost seemed that he didn't believe she was Althena. And while NPCs knew he was trying to save a girl, I can't remember anyone ever saying he was trying to save the Goddess.[/spoiler]
「まあいいけど。」

Angelalex242
Legendary Hero

Post by Angelalex242 »

[spoiler]There's no reason to assume the trials were different. Different in context, certainly...the Red Dragon couldn't give Ignatius a spiel about how there's already a Dragonmaster, nuts to you. She probably said something like 'You're Vile Tribe, nuts to you.' And made him prove his determination that way. But the general purpose had to be fundamentally the same...varying only by context.[/spoiler]
Don't blame me, Lucia promised me lots of snuggles and cuddles if I would be her PR guy.

Monde Luna
Blue Dragon Ninja

Post by Monde Luna »

[spoiler]I still believe that Alicia and Laticia were different because they were fighting together. Also being twins they would be very alike in thought processes etc. *pure assumption* Ignatius and Jian didn't have their trials together, I just don't understand the logic used to make it possible to have dual dragonmasters against one another. I wish it was explained better in the game, actually I would have been happier having Ignatius being a pure villian from the Vile Tribe. It would have been good to see the history of the vile tribe in action, but we didn't get that. A lot was left out for speculation.

I still wonder why in the actual ending when Lucia comes back to Jian and hugs him. I thought it was interesting that Althena came back in human form to be Lucia instead of being reborn as an infant or as another person. Makes it seem like she truly loved Jian. [/spoiler]

Lunar Eclipse
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Lunar Eclipse »

[spoiler]I don't see the conflict of the competing Dragonmasters that everyone's talking about. It's made clear that Jian has to defeat them because the Four Dragons can't break their bonds with Ignatius. The Dragons are certainly powerful, but they're subjects of their master and must do his bidding because they've sworn themselves to him. In fact, I considered the defeat of the Dragons to be the reason that Jian wasn't able to actually use the summoning moves (Protect, Healing, Anger, and Grief). He just got the concentrated form of their black magic contained within the rings. That sort of makes sense to me anyway. ^_^;[/spoiler]
Let those who war with life forfeit their own! -- Mareg, Grandia II