Ugh, I changed my mind about the translation...

For discussion of Lunar: Dragon Song (Lunar: Genesis), the only Lunar game on the DS
DDX
Burg Farmer
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

Ugh, I changed my mind about the translation...

Post by DDX »

When I first started the game, the translation seemed decent. At this point, I can only conclude that the translation is crap (though still better than Legend). First, I would swear that they had seperate people to translate the game text and the job text. The names used in jobs are frequently different from the names used out in the field... "Timathy" instead of "Timothy," "Gobbi" instead of "Gobi," and my personal favorite, "Laban" instead of "Raiban" (you would have thought people would have figured out the whole l-sound vs. r-sound thing ages ago, but noooooo...).

Not only that, but there are some hideous grammar errors as well. When passing through Port Olbeage, they never added the word "the" in front of the phrase "Cathedral of Althena." Not once. It was always "The Vile Tribe is attacking Cathedral of Althena!" or "Cathedral of Althena is under attack by the Vile Tribe!" THE Cathedral of Althena is under attack, dammit! Is it really THAT hard to add the word "the" where it should be? Oh, and my favorite, hearing somebody use the phrase "Gpdess Althena." Yes, that's right. "Gpdess."

You'd think that in this day and age, they would have hired competent translators. And maybe used a spell checker. Or at least have the script proofread by somebody who passed 3rd grade english.
See the happy moron
He doesn't give a damn
I wish I was a moron
My God! Perhaps I am!
- Anonymus poet

Kizyr
Keeper of Knowledge (probationary)

Post by Kizyr »

It wasn't ever a translation issue. Translation is still spot-on. It's all in the editing.

Those gaps in editing happen when separate people do different parts of the proper name translation, and don't reconcile them (i.e., the text for dialogue is in one part of the data, the text for jobs is in another, and different people handle each side). The deal with having "the" in front is slightly more complicated than it seems, since it's referred to by a string, and then the string itself is defined. So sometimes it'd need an article in front of it, sometimes it wouldn't.

Honestly speaking, more time to edit would've fixed all these problems... I still think the translation job itself is all right, and worlds better than Legend, but it could've used a lot more work invested in it. KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

Agawa
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Agawa »

Oh dear, that's one of the things I was fearing most about this game. Lunar Legends had the effect of making me very wary of another game translated by Ubisoft, for reasons I know you all noticed.

So far it doesn't seem nearly as bad though, as I haven't seen nearly as many mistakes. Improper sentences and other text errors really do ruin the mood for me though, I'm with you on that.

knuckles90
Lostest Boy

Post by knuckles90 »

haha yeah i was laughin when i read the whole gpddess thing...and then my friend decided that he would pronounce it, use it in a sentence, and give it its own definition...what an idiot