Finally beat it.

For discussion of Lunar: Dragon Song (Lunar: Genesis), the only Lunar game on the DS
Leo
BANNED
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

Re: Finally beat it.

Post by Leo »

Sonic# wrote:"Them" - who? The first sentence strikes me as an inaccurate way to describe the process by which Titanic was made. James Cameron pitched his script as "Romeo and Juliet on the Titanic." The film started as a love story set on the Titanic, and it being a romantic epic was a success.

Anyway, the accolades that the films have collected demonstrate that they earned their reputation. Both it and Dances with Wolves earned the Best Picture Oscar, the equivalent of being the best rated game in the year they were released. And their reputations have continued - Dances with Wolves was one of a select few films archived in the US National Film Registry, and Titanic continues to appear on the American Film Institute's Top 100 list. You may personally feel less enthusiasm for the films since they came out, but they are still well-respected and loved by tons of people.

Lunar: Dragon Song won no awards, has a low metacritic score, and even at the time of release the effects of post-release enthusiasm only allowed Kizyr to claim it was an okay game. I wanted to like it, but pretty soon I had to admit it was bad. That pattern of mild acceptance to dislike does not fit those two films.
Point taken. Though I'm surprised Dragon Song didn't get a Razzie. :lol:

Kizyr
Keeper of Knowledge (probationary)

Post by Kizyr »

Leo wrote:Imagine if people didn't go through that afterglow. The world wouldn't have made a big deal out of Dances With Wolves, Titanic or Cruel Intentions.
I liked Titanic way more several years after all the hype was gone. When it came out it came off as what every teen girl wanted to see, so... it ended up being just as popular to hate on it. I liked it well enough when I watched it, but then when I rewatched it a decade later I found it even better than I remembered (the plot is actually really good, DiCaprio held up as an actor [...can't comment on Kate Winslet though], and there's some great attention to detail in it ... plus Cameron basically used it as an excuse to pursue his true passion, deep-sea submersibles).

Can't comment on the other movies, though. I only saw Dances with Wolves once on TV a few years ago, and it was all right, but I can't get by my "meh" attitude about Kevin Costner ever since Waterworld.

Anyway, to bring this back around to Dragon Song... Any positive comments from me on that are 80% due to "I can't believe we're finally getting a new Lunar game!", which got it up to a "ok but not great", and only backslid from there. Pretty much the opposite trajectory of Titanic.

...Titanic the movie, not the ship. 8-) KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

Leo
BANNED

Post by Leo »

Oh no, that's fitting enough. I'd say Dragon Song sank enough to compare it to the actual Titanic. Especially considering the size of all our hopes for it.