Trivial question...

For discussion of Lunar: Dragon Song (Lunar: Genesis), the only Lunar game on the DS
Alunissage
Goddess
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

Re: Trivial question...

Post by Alunissage »

Well, I haven't played much of Prime at all. Fusion I've played several times though. But I can tell you that many people have done amazing things with Prime. Control scheme is what you make of it, I guess. A lot of things I think I'll never get used to and then my hands learn them anyway.

Kizyr
Keeper of Knowledge (probationary)

Post by Kizyr »

jay_are wrote:LOL Oh man. My rating system is simple. I judge 5 things: 1- Looks. 2- Audio. 3- Gameplay mechanics (and story if it's important to the game). 4- Overall fun, and 5- Overall addictiveness / replay value. Reason my post is long is because i basically review 2 games >.< But I kept each branch short.
Ok I get how you do that mechanically, it just strikes me as odd that you seem to weight all those things equally -- say, amazing gameplay + amazing looks + zero audio, by that system, is equivalent to ok gameplay + ok looks + amazing audio. Then again, there's always going to be tension between trying to make reviews as fair as possible, versus allowing room for flexibility and innovation. I mean, just the act of using a numerical rating system illustrates this -- it's trying to quantify something that's based on individual experiences. No one's method is wrong, but I will say that yours is the first time I've seen such equal weighting given to all elements, so it is interesting even if it's not what I'd do (well, especially because it's not what I'd do).

Anyway, this is one reason that my preference is to offer a 10-point scale (and use all 10 numbers, not just rate everything 6-10), and put up examples of well-known games in each genre that would hit each level. It's imperfect, but it has its advantages. Say, 8 = Chrono Trigger, 9 = Tales of Phantasia, 10 = Lunar: Eternal Blue -- so when I rate FF9 a 9, it gives a better idea of where that game is for me than just the number alone. ...then I'll launch into the reasons.

...actually on that note:
jay_are wrote:Compare the villain of Lunar DS to the lame FF9's Villain and final boss / ending overall...
ok we can no longer be friends. <3 FF9 forever.
jay_are wrote:Lunar DS totals 6 to 8 /10. Your 7/10 doesn't contradict this, and online reviews go around that too. Even IGN agrees.
Well that's the problem... Gaming magazines' rating systems are crap (everything is a 6-10, and that doesn't even get to the issue of pressure to rate games highly if they come from prominent advertisers), and that 7/10 rating I gave was when the whole post-Lunar-glow hadn't worn off. If it were today, I'd place it at a 4/10 or possibly 5/10 -- above Final Fantasy 1, maybe around or below Tales of Destiny (...I lost interest in ToD early on, and since it wasn't Lunar there was little reason to continue). KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

Shiva Indis
White Dragon Knight

Post by Shiva Indis »

Kizyr wrote:
jay_are wrote:Compare the villain of Lunar DS to the lame FF9's Villain and final boss / ending overall...
ok we can no longer be friends. <3 FF9 forever.
Necron as final boss vs. Gideon as final boss? It's a hard call since I found both disappointing, but I might give that to Gideon since at least he was introduced in the middle of the game. In the other hand, Kuja is vastly more interesting than Ignatius. Ignatius has no motivation, while Kuja has tons of it.
Kizyr wrote:Maybe around or below Tales of Destiny (...I lost interest in ToD early on, and since it wasn't Lunar there was little reason to continue).
Oh no, you mentioned Tales of Destiny. I have a soft spot for ToD. It introduced me to Mutsumi Inomata, who because one of my favorite artists, and I like the characters and world-building. But the plot is...weird. Pretty substantive, but tonally manic and gets increasingly grim as it goes on. Still, definitely more enjoyable than Lunar DS! :mrgreen:
「まあいいけど。」

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

Spouse and I played through some of Tales of Destiny but I suspect we've completely forgotten the plot by now. Might have to find a walkthrough that talks about story (which is generally what I try to avoid) to remind ourselves.

Leo
BANNED

Post by Leo »

Alunissage wrote:Spouse and I played through some of Tales of Destiny but I suspect we've completely forgotten the plot by now. Might have to find a walkthrough that talks about story (which is generally what I try to avoid) to remind ourselves.
Tales Of Symphonia having the Synopsis tab in the menu was major plus and for someone with ADHD like me, almost a necessity. I wish it was the norm in RPGs.