I fear for the voice acting in Lunar DS....

For discussion of Lunar: Dragon Song (Lunar: Genesis), the only Lunar game on the DS
GhaleonOne
Ghost From The Past
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

Post by GhaleonOne »

No, if a company is presenting something like this, it's because they're used to complaints. Working Designs is a love/hate company. People either love them or hate them. There's very little middle ground.
-G1

the_importer
Meribian Merchant

Post by the_importer »

GhaleonOne wrote:No, if a company is presenting something like this, it's because they're used to complaints. Working Designs is a love/hate company. People either love them or hate them. There's very little middle ground.

Well you're saying no, but you're pretty much agreeing with me. If you're saying that they get complaints and that they're a love or hate company, than you're agreeing that a lot of people consider their translation to be poor and that if they're stating this it’s because they are aware of it.

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

It's also showing that they're secure enough to joke about people disliking them. Get a clue.:roll:

Spirit Icana
Red Dragon Priest

Post by Spirit Icana »

Oh, Alunissage is still posting here, even though Lunar: Dragon Song has just shortly been blessed with the comforts of her home. I wonder if that means this new Lunar is quite short from being the next 'addicting drug.'

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

Don't be an idiot. Of course I'm still using my computer while I'm playing. I'm taking notes.

GhaleonOne
Ghost From The Past

Post by GhaleonOne »

Actually, a lot of the impressions I've seen lately have become more and more favorable. The first set of impressions I saw ripped the game apart, but after re-reading them a few times and looking at the reviewers track-record, he was known for ripping games apart all the time. Most of the fans that have the game are so-far saying good things. The biggest complaint has still been the loosing HP while running thing.
-G1

Kizyr
Keeper of Knowledge (probationary)

Post by Kizyr »

And of course you can't forget that none of the reviewers so far understand a damn word of the game. KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

Spirit Icana
Red Dragon Priest

Post by Spirit Icana »

Ah, you're talking about Ashely over at Game FAQs, G1. Don't let his opinions get to you or anybody. I loved how he dodged all your questions anyhow.

As for you (Alunissage), would you be so kind as to specify as to how these "notes" mean so much that you will jump down the Lunar mountain just to keep them posted.

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

Since I don't read Japanese myself, I'm noting NPC names and such in case I need to find them again at a future point. I have a tablet PC, and it works fine to have the tablet on my lap and the DS in my hands, using the tablet stylus both to draw diagrams and occasionally on the DS. I tend to take notes when I play games anyway, which is part of why I'm so slow with them. And, of course, I check LNet to see if anything relevant comes up. I can't really get involved in the story for the reason Kizyr stated, so I need to occupy my brain somehow.

Spirit Icana
Red Dragon Priest

Post by Spirit Icana »

So you were actually still climbing up that mountain. My bad.

Your play method with the import sounds a little fun. I should try it sometime with an J-RPG import --with pencil and paper since I don't have a little handy device you own.

GhaleonOne
Ghost From The Past

Post by GhaleonOne »

Ah, you're talking about Ashely over at Game FAQs, G1. Don't let his opinions get to you or anybody. I loved how he dodged all your questions anyhow.

Yup. I respected his post initially, then after re-reading it, and going and reading some other "impressions" and reviews he's done, and especially some of his lack of knowledge when posting, it became obvious his experience was gameplay-only based. At least, it became obvious when he dodged all the story-related questions. I don't think he even responded to Kiz either. His impressions were by far the most negative, and unfortunately were the first posted. However, since then, I've heard nothing but good for the most part. There's someone over at lunareb.com's forums that posted shorter impressions of the game that were pretty positive. Alunissage also doesn't seem to have such negative impressions as Ashley did either. I'm especially interested to see what Kiz and DragonmasterDan have to say next week. Kiz because he can understand the text, and Dan because he's hard to please. :P
-G1

Spirit Icana
Red Dragon Priest

Post by Spirit Icana »

I take it both Kiz and Dan are long time Lunar fans so the game will have to stand true with long time memories, no?

I just hope the title will feed a newbie like me well. You guys already hyped the story up notches for me, and I'm very curious to see if the dash feature proves a little strategic and not just a nuiance.

(I can't believe I spelled Ashley wrong.)

GhaleonOne
Ghost From The Past

Post by GhaleonOne »

I actually didn't even notice the mispelling. I'm sure the game will have something for you. In fact, it should be interesting to see what new fans think when the play this, then go back and play the other games. It was interesting to talk to people who played EB before TSS/SSSC. This should be even more interesting, considering the changes to gameplay. It would be interesting to see complaints about the old style because newbies to the Lunar series' first impression of Lunar was based on the new style.
-G1

Kizyr
Keeper of Knowledge (probationary)

Post by Kizyr »

I'd have to be a longtime Lunar fan. I didn't take Damon's place overnight.

I might be a huge fan, and I already do enjoy the story for DS (though, I have to see how they put it into practice). That doesn't mean there's no way to take an objective view of the game. Just, unlike others, I won't harp only on the limited aspects of the game I can understand. Magic School, for instance, is an example of a good story within a lackluster game, though only for the horrid encounter rate (such a minor detail, too, but it made things quite annoying).

I'll have a 'first impressions' review up after the first several hours of play, and hopefully a detailed review after completing the game the following week or so. KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

Spirit Icana
Red Dragon Priest

Post by Spirit Icana »

I don't know who Damon is, but.....

Anyway, I look forward to your impressions, Kizyr! And thanks ahead of time.

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

Damon is someone you have to see in Lunar 1. He's called the Keeper of Knowledge.

DevNall
Blue Dragon Ninja

Post by DevNall »

GhaleonOne wrote:This should be even more interesting, considering the changes to gameplay. It would be interesting to see complaints about the old style because newbies to the Lunar series' first impression of Lunar was based on the new style.

Sounds like the perfect excuse for more remakes.

NallOne
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by NallOne »

Goodness, people! After reading through the topic I had to check to even see what the topic was about again. I've completely forgotten what I was going to say now. Darn it. Ah well.

I'll keep it short and sweet and just say I can't wait to read Kiz's impressions! :P

DevNall wrote:
GhaleonOne wrote:This should be even more interesting, considering the changes to gameplay. It would be interesting to see complaints about the old style because newbies to the Lunar series' first impression of Lunar was based on the new style.

Sounds like the perfect excuse for more remakes.

I sure hope not. With the possibility of a game that follows the Four Heroes and of course Lunar 3 on the horizon, I really don't see any point in there being any more remakes - After all, the main reason for the remakes in my opinion was just to keep the fans from losing interest in the series, not because there was something wrong with the originals. Dated perhaps, but they didn't really need fixing.

Then again, I'm still curious if they have any plans to make a GBA port/remake of Eternal Blue. I was expecting one after Legend, but I suppose the sales weren't good enough to justify a second GBA Lunar. Especially if they had already begun talking of Dragon Song at the time.

Heh, I've forgotten what the topic was about again..
- Mike

PrettyGirlJean
White Dragon Knight

Post by PrettyGirlJean »

GhaleonOne wrote:

Yup. I respected his post initially, then after re-reading it, and going and reading some other "impressions" and reviews he's done, and especially some of his lack of knowledge when posting, it became obvious his experience was gameplay-only based. At least, it became obvious when he dodged all the story-related questions. I don't think he even responded to Kiz either. His impressions were by far the most negative, and unfortunately were the first posted. However, since then, I've heard nothing but good for the most part. There's someone over at lunareb.com's forums that posted shorter impressions of the game that were pretty positive. Alunissage also doesn't seem to have such negative impressions as Ashley did either. I'm especially interested to see what Kiz and DragonmasterDan have to say next week. Kiz because he can understand the text, and Dan because he's hard to please. :P

Was there some kind of review by this person? Or was there some discussion on a message board? Who's this treacherous Ashley person? haha :P

NallOne
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by NallOne »

PrettyGirlJean wrote:Was there some kind of review by this person? Or was there some discussion on a message board? Who's this treacherous Ashley person? haha :P

He is a 'veteran' reviewer at GameFaQs, but in my honest opinion he doesn't give very many of the games that he reviews a fair chance. His review (or 'Impression', rather) is on the General DS board, I believe.
- Mike