Nintendo DS Price Drop just in time for Dragon Song

For discussion of Lunar: Dragon Song (Lunar: Genesis), the only Lunar game on the DS
Silver Phoenix
Bromide Hunter
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

Nintendo DS Price Drop just in time for Dragon Song

Post by Silver Phoenix »

I read on RPGFan that the Nintendo DS will drop to $129.99, on August 21st. Kinda sucks for those of us that bought it pretty recently, like me. Yeah, it's only $20 but it still would have been saved money.

Nonetheless, it's good news for anyone without a DS that plans to buy one in time to play Lunar Dragon Song. :D
Last edited by Silver Phoenix on Wed Aug 17, 2005 5:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sonic#
Pao Tribe Chieftain

Post by Sonic# »

Procrastination pays off for once!

Well... perhaps not entirely. I haven't had the time to get used to having a DS, and playing other games.
Sonic#

"Than seyde Merlion, "Whethir lyke ye bettir the swerde othir the scawberde?" "I lyke bettir the swerde," seyde Arthure. "Ye ar the more unwyse, for the scawberde ys worth ten of the swerde; for whyles ye have the scawberde uppon you, ye shall lose no blood, be ye never so sore wounded. Therefore kepe well the scawberde allweyes with you." --- Le Morte Darthur, Sir Thomas Malory

"Just as you touch the energy of every life form you meet, so, too, will will their energy strengthen you. Fail to live up to your potential, and you will never win. " --- The Old Man at the End of Time

Greensky
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Greensky »

I should have waited before jumping onto the early Nintendo Bandwagon. I TRUSTED YOU NINTENDO~!

I bought my DS at launch and havn't touched it in many a month. It's been collecting dust, waiting for good games like Mario Kart, Lunar, Harvest Moon, and Animal Crossing. :P

Silver Phoenix
Bromide Hunter

Post by Silver Phoenix »

I bought my DS in June or July, not sure. Anyway, I bought it when there was a promotion where you get Mario 64 DS for free. I play it every once in a while, but I don't know if it's the control or what that puts me off. I just can't get into it.

Greensky, don't forget Castlevania DS which is looking really good.

Lunar Eclipse
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Lunar Eclipse »

. . . And that new Seiken Densetsu game that was announced for the DS a while back.
Let those who war with life forfeit their own! -- Mareg, Grandia II

Greensky
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Greensky »

I also pre-ordered Nintendogs for the DS, which comes out this Monday.

GhaleonOne
Ghost From The Past

Post by GhaleonOne »

I bought it last March and have only played GBA games on it. I wish I had waiting for Mario's pack-in, but eh.

BTW, did anyone actually look at the new 2D Super Mario Bros.? I let this one sneak through. I saw it from E3, but didn't think anything about it, then saw screens and remembered how friggin' awesome Super Mario Bros. 1-3 and Super Mario World were. If this matches that, which I'm sure it probably will, it should be a blast. Hopefully it revives 2D Mario games. I'd love a revival of classic 2D top down Zelda too. A Link to the Past is still my fav.
-G1

Kizyr
Keeper of Knowledge (probationary)

Post by Kizyr »

GhaleonOne wrote:I'd love a revival of classic 2D top down Zelda too. A Link to the Past is still my fav.

<a href="http://www.zeldaclassic.com">www.zeldaclassic.com</a>. KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

DragonmasterDan
Lunar Legend

Post by DragonmasterDan »

GhaleonOne wrote: I'd love a revival of classic 2D top down Zelda too. A Link to the Past is still my fav.

Then you really need to pick up Zelda: The Minish Cap :)

........ and Aria of Sorrow.
Last edited by DragonmasterDan on Thu Aug 18, 2005 8:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

DevNall
Blue Dragon Ninja

Post by DevNall »

GhaleonOne wrote:BTW, did anyone actually look at the new 2D Super Mario Bros.? I let this one sneak through. I saw it from E3, but didn't think anything about it, then saw screens and remembered how friggin' awesome Super Mario Bros. 1-3 and Super Mario World were. If this matches that, which I'm sure it probably will, it should be a blast. Hopefully it revives 2D Mario games. I'd love a revival of classic 2D top down Zelda too. A Link to the Past is still my fav.

Yes, that game looks fantastic -- you'll note a lot of the stuff in there is actually 3D, but the camera is essentially locked into a 2D perspective. )I think this is the first new Mario game since Super Mario World I've really, really wanted to play!)

DragonmasterDan wrote:Then you really need to pick up Zelda: The Minish Cap and Aria of Sorrow.

Yes, these are both fantastic. And of course, Aria of Sorrow is a lead-in to the even better looking Dawn of Sorrow.

This is some fantastic stuff we're getting soon.

ZP
Pao Hunter

Re: Nintendo DS Price Drop just in time for Dragon Song

Post by ZP »

Silver Phoenix wrote:I read on RPGFan that the Nintendo DS will drop to $129.99, on August 21st.

Interesting. That makes the DS cheaper in the US than anywhere else, and I still need one. Am I right in thinking that it's just the silver and blue ones available right now?

I might pick up Sigma Star Saga on GBA at the same time.

love a riddle
Lostest Boy

Post by love a riddle »

To me, 2D Zelda is the only way to go. The 3D games aren't bad, I just prefer 2D. That's why I loved Minish cap. I'd love to see more 2D platformers like Mario, though. Although in some cases I think 3D works better for a certain platformer like Sonic (despite that all of my friends get motion sickness from them).

I'm glad I put off buying a DS... me getting laid off couldn't've have hapopened at a better time; The weekend I was going to buy it I gotlaid off.

Silver Phoenix
Bromide Hunter

Post by Silver Phoenix »

I think the release of Nintendogs is their reason for the price drop, along with trying to make it more appealing compared to the price of the PSP. They're using marketing appeal for kids once again, so the kids will beg their parents for a digital puppy. It's a shame we see commercials, for a game like Nintendogs, but games like Lunar: Dragon Song, and Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow are very unlikely to get a commercial. I'm sure we'd all be overjoyed to see a commercial for Dragon Song, but I just don't see Ubisoft going that route.

ZP, I was kind of curious about Sigma Star Saga myself, but I don't know if it's a worthy purchase.

I'm also a fan of the 2D Zelda's, and I just don't find the 3D versions as appealing. I liked Wind Waker better than Ocarina of Time, just because it was interesting to play through the game, and appreciate the visual style along with the gameplay and story.

ZP
Pao Hunter

Post by ZP »

Silver Phoenix wrote:ZP, I was kind of curious about Sigma Star Saga myself, but I don't know if it's a worthy purchase.

I'm not sure if I'm prepared to trust reviews on this one. No-name, non-Nintendo GBA games always seem to get a bad deal. I also remember when Gargoyles Quest came out, another hybrid RPG/action game. At the time the reviews I read make it seem like a very average game. I picked it up based on it being one of the prettier games as that early point in the Gameboy's life and I was starved for GB titles that I wanted, and ended up loving it.

But then there's still a risk that Sigma Star Saga genuinely isn't that great, and won't be returned to once Lunar DS and Gunstar Super Heroes come out.

Way Forward did a great job with Shantae but none of their other titles have caught my interest, apart from the unpublished Shantae Advance. So I don't know how consistent they are.

What to do...

Lunar Eclipse
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Lunar Eclipse »

I've spoken with Tara Samuels, the marketing manager at Namco for Sigma Star Saga, Tales of Symphonia, and Tales of Legendia, and it seems like it'll be quite good. They've put a lot of effort into the entire thing. I'll get my copy soon enough, and I'm writing a review for her. I can let you see it whenever I get done if you haven't already bought it at that point.

. . .

And sorry for the uber off-topicness. :oops:

Silver Phoenix
Bromide Hunter

Post by Silver Phoenix »

Well considering she's the marketing manager I don't think she'd say: "Well, honestly it really sucks, but you should buy it anyway." :)

Let us know how it is, the sooner the better!

DragonmasterDan
Lunar Legend

Post by DragonmasterDan »

Lunar Eclipse wrote:I've spoken with Tara Samuels, the marketing manager at Namco for Sigma Star Saga, Tales of Symphonia, and Tales of Legendia, and it seems like it'll be quite good. They've put a lot of effort into the entire thing. I'll get my copy soon enough, and I'm writing a review for her. I can let you see it whenever I get done if you haven't already bought it at that point.

. . .

And sorry for the uber off-topicness. :oops:

Any time you deal with marketing managers, or internal or external PR it's always a hard situation when the product they have or "seem excited" about is absolutely terrible. It's especially bad when you know or have past dealings with those people.

Unless you know someone personally, marketing managers, product managers and PR people never tell you they aren't pleased with how a game turns out. This is a lot of the reason so few games get ratings below a 6 or a 5 from major publications. I worked for a game magazine that basically NEVER gave any game no matter how horrendous a lower score than say 5 so that we could go back to the company and say "Five is average, so it wasn't that bad" if they got offended. Anyway, sorry for the tirade but if you're new the gaming media never be hopeful based on what marketing managers tell you abouit a product, it's their job to get press excited.

Rune Lai
Bromide Hunter

Post by Rune Lai »

Basically, you have to remember that the marketing manager's job is to market the game, and they have to market the bad ones too. Even if they privately think it's a stinker, they've got to wring out every sale they can. It's what they're paid for.
You have taught us the pity to live.
But I will not forget the beauty of life itself.
--Hyuui Riin, Phantasy Star II
-- http://www.sabrecat.net/ --

Lunar Eclipse
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Lunar Eclipse »

Oh, I'm not in the game media or anything. Tara's actually a friend because I, along with several others, help her moderate Namco's Tales forums. She seems genuinely pleased with it, so I'm still hopeful even though she is supposed to market it. She said she wanted our honest opinions on it no matter how bad it was, so I assume she at least has some confidence in it. Like I said, though, I'll let you all know how it is.

GhaleonOne
Ghost From The Past

Post by GhaleonOne »

http://www.gamesarefun.com/news.php?newsid=5444

This can only bode well for Lunar. More installed base = more Lunar sales. Thank you Jump Superstars!
-G1